Brooklyn Early Check-In/Embarkation

ctpaddler2000

What please is the difference between a 'livery' cab and the ordinary 'hackney' cab?

SS

Shinyshoes, Old Bear has given a good explanation of the difference in NYC. The new "green cabs" coming this summer will change things somewhat.

If interested, here's an piece on the topic, which includes differences in various locations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_taxicab_operation -S.

In New York, only the yellow medallion cabs ['hackney' cabs] are authorized to respond to an on street hail. [at least on Manhattan island].

A substantial part of the taxi fleet are now Ford Escape SUV's - they probably will have larger luggage capacity than some of the other choices.

Livery car service [also know as 'black car service' or 'town car service'] can only pick up passengers when dispatched after a phone call or reservation. There are some recommendations oven in the East Coast Departures forum - just do a search there for 'car service'

Ok, let's see if I have this right. How I read the article quoted in post No. 24 is this:-

The Green cabs are mainly to service the outer boroughs but now they can ply for hire just like the Yellow cabs which won't or don't go to the outer boroughs.

HERE'S A SUPPOSING---

So, supposing a Green cab picks up a fare in, say, Queens going to Manhattan. He drops his fare and, as he is licensed to ply for hire, he can pick up a fare in Manhattan going to somewhere else in Manhattan and so is in direct competition with the Yellow cabs. Now I may be totally wrong but I would have thought that Manhattan would be a more fertile ground for fares than the outer boroughs so why won't the Green cab just hang around in Manhattan for easier pickings? Especially if it's raining. :)

Shiny

Ok, let's see if I have this right. How I read the article quoted in post No. 24 is this:-

The Green cabs are mainly to service the outer boroughs but now they can ply for hire just like the Yellow cabs which won't or don't go to the outer boroughs.

HERE'S A SUPPOSING---

So, supposing a Green cab picks up a fare in, say, Queens going to Manhattan. He drops his fare and, as he is licensed to ply for hire, he can pick up a fare in Manhattan going to somewhere else in Manhattan and so is in direct competition with the Yellow cabs. Now I may be totally wrong but I would have thought that Manhattan would be a more fertile ground for fares than the outer boroughs so why won't the Green cab just hang around in Manhattan for easier pickings? Especially if it's raining. :)

Shiny

Shiny, you're right, it would be more fertile grounds, especially in the rain :D But my understanding is that green cabs will not be permitted to pick up a passenger hailing a cab in Manhattan (north of 96th Street on the East Side and north of 110th Street on the West), even if they are there to drop off a fare from one of the boroughs.

Anyway, these green cabs will hopefully mean more cabs at the pier in Redhook (although, personally, I'd still rather arrange for a car service). -S.

Shiny, you're right, it would be more fertile grounds, especially in the rain :D But my understanding is that green cabs will not be permitted to pick up a passenger hailing a cab in Manhattan (north of 96th Street on the East Side and north of 110th Street on the West), even if they are there to drop off a fare from one of the boroughs.

. -S.

Now I AM confused. If they can't pick North of those two locations where is the southern limit of their pick up areas? I can see a lot of confusion ahead, especially for tourists.

Shiny

Shiny, you're right, it would be more fertile grounds, especially in the rain :D But my understanding is that green cabs will not be permitted to pick up a passenger hailing a cab in Manhattan (Nothern Manhattan is the exception) even if they are there to drop off a fare from one of the boroughs.

Anyway, these green cabs will hopefully mean more cabs at the pier in Redhook (although, personally, I'd still rather arrange for a car service). -S.

:oOh, I am so sorry - what I wrote above was incorrectly phrased in my original post. Hopefully this will clarify matters:

"This change in street rules will affect 7 million New Yorkers who live in the outer boroughs and northern Manhattan, meaning north of 96th Street on the East Side and north of 110th Street on the West" quoted from http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8640944

:oOh, I am so sorry - what I wrote above was incorrectly phrased in my original post. Hopefully this will clarify matters:

"This change in street rules will affect 7 million New Yorkers who live in the outer boroughs and northern Manhattan, meaning north of 96th Street on the East Side and north of 110th Street on the West" quoted from http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8640944

OK, I see now, below these two limits they will not be permitted to ply for hire.

I can see some interesting scenarios if a green cab decides to chance his arm and pick up someone and he is spotted by a yellow cab driver.

But I don't suppose the average New Yorker will give a toss one way or the other as long as he/she gets a cab (especially if it's raining:))

Shiny

Ref. the Green/Yellow taxi posts. If you're interested, this is a UK paper's take on it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2137074/New-Yorks-iconic-yellow-cabs-apple-green.html

SS

Thanks Shineyshoes. The reader's reponse to that article was interesting. I have no idea how this is going to play out, especially considering the cost for a Medallion for a Yellow Cab in NYC (recent price was One Million Dollars for a Medallion!).

In NYC, my first choice is Shanks Mare. Longer distances on a deadline - Yellow Cab. Pre-arranged travel - a car service. Quick, inexpensive transport, last ditch measure: subway. But if I was going from Redhook pier to the Cloisers (http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/visit-the-cloisters/

I would not hesitate to take a green cab.

Cheers,

Salacia

Archived