Beaches Negril or Carinval Cruise w/kids?

rgfeldman

We are looking for advice about an upcoming family vacation. We have a 6 and 9 year old and want a place with kids their age, especially since we will be traveling during a non-holiday week. We have been to other AI resorts (prior to kids) but have never been on a cruise. We like the idea of trying the cruise but are concerned that the kids may be bored just sitting a the beaches at each port (Half-Moon Cay, Turks, St. Thomas, and Puerto Rico). I'm not sure the excursions will work for us as they probably involve a lot of walking or swimming (the 6 year old is not a good swimmer yet). I'm not sure which option would be more fun for the kids and allow us to relax a bit. Thanks for advice.

I am not sure I can be of much help but since no one else has replied to your question, I figured I'd give it a shot. I have never been to Beaches Negril but I have taken my three sons (10, 8, and 6-at the time of sailing) on a cruise to Cozumel and Progresso and they had a fabulous time! They have been begging to go on another for two years and we are finally able to do it again this summer. If you are concerned with what excursions are available for your kids, you can go to the Carnival website, click on activities, then excursions, and then choose the ports you are considering. You can even filter the results to the minimum age allowed for each excursion. Good luck!

We have been to both Beaches resorts in the past and have loved both of them. You would know your kids better than we would on what they like and do not like. Your trip is a fairly beach intensive trip. Half Moon Cay is a private beach that Carnival owns so the food would included in that stop. There are things other than being on a beach in St Thomas and Grand Turk. San Juan has a lot of historic sites to see. Our first trip to Beaches was in Turks/Cacios and our daughter was at the age where did not really want to leave us, which was fine, they had 6 pools and a water park for kids and she loved it. The next year we did Negril and she was more open to play and find friends her age and she had a blast with them. On our first cruise she was a "tweener" but stuck in Camp Carnival age group and thought all the activities were more kid like so she did not do Camp Carnival. But I think if your kids do Camp Carnival on the ship they will find kids their age to do things with and will to be with them when in port.

Thanks for your response. Did you travel during school holiday times or off-season? Just asking because we want to pick a place where there will be more kids. I was concerned that the cruise may be more adult-oriented in the middle of January.

Thanks for your response. Did you travel during school holiday times or off-season? Just asking because we want to pick a place where there will be more kids. I was concerned that the cruise may be more adult-oriented in the middle of January.

I am married to a teacher, so we can only vacation during the summer. So sorry I am no help with the off season thing.

Archived