help re paper drivers license

My son was out boating on the Mississippi and lost his drivers license. ( Please be on the look out if you are south of Iowa.). Thankfully he can go to DMV on Monday to apply for another one. He leaves Wednesday for new orleans

In Iowa he will receive a paper license with picture (black and white). Then they mail the permanent license in a month. Will this be enough to board with his BC and photo ID from the sheriffs dept ( he works for them).

Thanks

My son was out boating on the Mississippi and lost his drivers license. ( Please be on the look out if you are south of Iowa.). Thankfully he can go to DMV on Monday to apply for another one. He leaves Wednesday for new orleans

In Iowa he will receive a paper license with picture (black and white). Then they mail the permanent license in a month. Will this be enough to board with his BC and photo ID from the sheriffs dept ( he works for them).

Thanks

I don't know what they will say, but the Photo ID from the Sheriffs dept...is a govt issued ID, that and the BC.

I did call carnival this morning and was told it was OK. Then I got worried again and called back and they said no. Then called again and was told a photo I'd does not have to be a license. Ya know carnival call 10 times get 10 answers. Will call my pvp

Monday. Hi conch head we were with you on the triumph

I don't know what they will say, but the Photo ID from the Sheriffs dept...is a govt issued ID, that and the BC.

I was thinking the same thing; it is a form of government issued ID, albeit county issued, not a state or federal ID. I'd think it will pass muster if he has it to accompany his BC and his temporary paper DL which does have a photo. Best of luck to him.

Does he have an old drivers license. If he does he can use that and the paper license. A few years ago my dad and I were going on a cruise and midnight the night before we were to leave, dad calls and say's you know I don't have a dl anymore. I about freaked. Called Carnival and told them he had a va card with one of those computer pics tht was really faded out. They said should be fine, but I didn't trust that. But he found an old license that had expired 10 years ago. We just handed the old license to the agent and didn't say a word, they looked at it and said ok. We were sweatin' it.

Thanks

I flew quite a few times with the paper one they issue here in Georgia before my permanent one came it the mail. It is an official document.

Contact his employer and get them to pull his file and get a copy of his DL from them. Between the paper one, and a copy of the one his employer will have, he should be fine.

Kind of hard for him to get a passport when he leaves Wednesday.:rolleyes: I don't think you can get a passport that quick:o

You can get passports with same day service.

Edited by txstarla

I flew quite a few times with the paper one they issue here in Georgia before my permanent one came it the mail. It is an official document.

I still have my temp license from GA (from 2000). It is exactly like the real thing except it has "temporary" written alongside the pic. Do they issue paper temps now? Or am I taking the paper term too literally? If it is literally paper, I don't know if it will work. Good luck to the OP.

As a bartender who checks ID's all day long, the paper should work. It is legal and has an experation date on it, and an issue date. If the question it point those 2 things out to them. I know in Oregon it is only good for 30 days.It is an exact copy of the ID he will get in the mail. More and more states are doing this, if not all. It was a big change for us here, but we got used to it. Just do not laminate it. It is concidered tampered ID and no longer valid.

Kind of hard for him to get a passport when he leaves Wednesday.:rolleyes: I don't think you can get a passport that quick:o

That was a recommendation for future travel. Didn't think I needed to point that out.

Edited by momtoabowhead

• 3 years later...