Waterford British Isles: Dunmore East cruise dock to Kilkenny HELP

We are arriving in Waterford on June 15, 2012 via Oceania Marina 8 am - 8 pm. From what I can tell, we will be tendering at Dunmore East. Our plan has always been to go to Kilkenny for the day - go to the castle, and Smithicks brewery tour (one of my favorite beers!). We had always planned to take the train. Unfortunately, the timetable doesn't allow us to do that. So, I'm asking for help from fellow CCs. How can we get there? Are taxis readily available at the port? Will they go to Kilkenny? How much should this cost? Do you have any other suggestions for getting there? Know anyone that runs a private tour company? We really don't need a tour guide for the day - just a driver to get us from the cruise port to Kilkenny and back to the ship at the end of the day. It looks like a very walkable city. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank You!

Hi,

I agree that with the time you have it is not feasible to get from Dunmore East to Kilkenny by public transport. The distance is 42 miles and taking a taxi there and back would be very expensive.

Have you considered hiring a car? The nearest Hertz desk is at Waterford airport:

http://www.hertz.ie/rentacar/misc/index.jsp?targetPage=IE_CarHire_Waterford.jsp

If you email them, they could advise you of the cost of taking a taxi from Dunmore East to the airport. I know that Hertz can arrange for a car to be picked up at Dublin port, but I would be doubtful if they could do the same at Dunmore East. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Kilkenny is a small city, so getting around it on foot is no problem.

Good luck,

Dermot

Archived