Deep Sea fishing

firsttimecruiser77

firstime, I just returned from my first cruise ever, which happened to include Belize as a port of call. It was aboard the Carnival Elation. Being a fly fishing addict, when I learned that Belize was a port of call, my first response was to locate a guide.

Let me say that there are few independent guides in Belize City, despite all the great world-class fishing this area has to offer. The lodges there are not willing to give up their guides for cruise ship folks. There is one guide service that has a web site that I know of, Action River Belize or something like that. A friend of mine took this service, and he was disappointed, despite paying $400 for the "day", which was really half a day (read on). The only means to locate a reputable guide otherwise is to contact the tourist information folks in Belize.

I happened to locate an independent fly fishing guide a couple of weeks in advance, and reserved him. The guide's name is Richard Young, Jr, goes by the nickname Juni. We started off in the Belize River working a pod of giant tarpon - over 100 lb fish - but got no bites, and only 2 fish to follow the fly. We also spotted another guide who was trolling for tarpon and mangrove snapper, and not having any luck either. Still, it was a great two hours, seeing those big beasts come up on my fly, spotting several manatees, and lots of exotic plants and birds. We then headed to the flats, and caught some bonefish. It was a bit too windy for permit on this day, but they and barracuda (a great fish on fly) are also abundant. We also had another option to chase smaller tarpon - which are plentiful and more readily take flies, but time was running short.

Which comes to the most important part of this: there is no dock in Belize. They're building one, won't be ready until 2006. That means you have to use tenders to get from ship to Belize City docks. The ship gives tender priority to passengers scheduled for excursions booked thru the ship, such as "Cave Tubing", "Jungle Adventure", etc. Those going independently must wait until all excursions have left the ship. Also, priority on those tenders is given by a ticket number issued out that morning. Sooo... if the schedule says you anchor at 8am, and you happen to be first in line for a ticket for the first general shore tender, count on leaving the boat between 9am and 9:30am. We were on that first general tender, and met our guide about 9:45. You also want to get back at least 30-45 minutes before the last tender leaves (in this case 4:15pm) because everybody waits to the last minute.

What I'm saying is that you will have about 5-6 hours of fishing time. That's plenty enough to work a few spots, but it will limit your range. Also, because there are so few guides, you may not be able to negotiate a lower rate than the standard 8 hour fare (usually $300-$350). But I would certainly give it a shot. Belize is a poor country, and some guides might not want to pass up what is SUPER money compared to the average Belizean's daily income. Of course, boats and fuel cost much more there than here, so consider their expenses, and shoot for maybe $200-$250 as a starting point in your negotiations.

Early I mentioned "reputable guide". Be absolutely certain you have one who is certified or registered as such. I must've had 3 of the natives offer to take me out in a boat while on my way to meet the guide. Judging from some of the boats I saw, it could've been a one-way trip to hell!

Rock and roll is not dead; it sleeps waiting for the Chosen One.

Archived