Cunard Corporate - An Example of How NOT To Do Business

ChicagoCruiser1973

Hello All-

I did my first cruise with Cunard (actually my first cruise ever) back in 10/31/04 on the trans from Southampton to NYC. I have since done two more cruises on the QM2 and had booked two more before the end of the year, all in Q-category.

After some issues I was having with Cunard customer service (corporate,not on the ship), I had my agent cancel my two existing reservations. Almost two months ago, my agent was contacted by an assistant to a VP at Cunard who was concerned about my cancelling two cruises. My agent explained my issues with Cunard, and they told him that they would do what it takes to get my business back.

I really had no desire to deal with these folks again, so my agent did all the talking and work. In any case, after TWO MONTHS of contact, they finally gave us a transatlantic package that would include an upgrade from a B-cat to a Q-cat and some other items to compensate for the trouble from months past.

I paid my deposit and two days later, Cunard called my agent and said they would not be able to honor the deal but would agree to a P-cat upgrade. You can honestly understand my frustration and concern - they give US an offer and then DON'T HONOR IT, especially after they are the ones that came to US after the original issues and cancellations.

Obviously, I cancelled this trip as well, and received a refund on my deposit.

As a business owner, I don't understand why people tolerate Cunard. Through reading the various threads here, it sounds as though Cunard has gone through many changes over the years, and not for the better. In any case, I can assure you I will NEVER sail Cunard again - even if for free, as the whole process has just been so frustrating, a waste of time, and has left a really bad taste in my mouth. :mad:

Anyone had any similar situations with Cunard Corporation?

Hope this finds all well.......

I think people assume that the "customer is always right" applies to the travel industry as it does in retail. I worked as an outside sales agent for a small travel agency about 10 years ago. That was the first thing I learned. Since my full time job was in retail, it was a little hard for me to accept. What the cruise line, hotel, airline, train, rent a car companies says goes. If the customer doesn't like the results it's take it or leave it.

We are experiencing a similar situation w/Cunard....check my posting re: Cunard Dispute to see the details.

In a nutshell-they also made an offer to us, then suddenly rescinded it. Gave us all kinds of excuses that don't make any sense,etc. but thus far insist there is nothing to argue about--their decision stands. In the meantime we are out not only our cruise but a lot of $$$.

(We have set in motion a process to get relief, but won't know where we stand for a few weeks.)

Suffice it to say, it will be a cold day in H*** before we do business with Cunard again, if this situation doesn't change!!

Archived