Wedding group activities and reception

We are departing on the Celebrity Summit next year with a confirmed booking of 75 guests. I want to have group activities on the ship for the 7 days that we are all there. Although all may not choose to do this, a majority would like to participate. I read another thread that mentioned that group activities are cheaper than wedding activities. Can anyone help me to understand- is that on the ship or off? Also, does anyone by any chance have ideas or info on how their wedding reception was set up for a sit down reception? I want to have floral centerpieces and napkin rings etc. Is that possible? Pics of a reception would be great!

We had 60 sail with us. We found that once the ship sailed, most folks wanted to do different things during the day and while in port so we did not plang any shore excursions or other outings in port. But each night, we arranged to meet at a different bar or lounge onboard for pre-dinner cocktails -- one night the champagne bar, the next a lounge with the pool tables, another night the latin lounge, etc. Not everyone came every night, but it ended up being a great way for folks to share their adventures during the day, and make plans for the next day's port. We didn't plan it officially through the ship's group department, but just had everyone pay for their own drinks. Since we never knew how many were showing up, it worked out better that way. Plus, it was super easy planning for me -- just picked a bar or lounge for each night, and made sure we were there to greet our guests.

All that being said, I also went on a group cruise (non-wedding related) that had several activities planned on port days. The excursions were optional, so not everyone opted in. It ended up being lots of fun -- but I also know they were tons of work to plan for the two women did all the organizing. They were also not inexpensive. In our situation, everyone paid their own to way to join the planned activities.

My advice would be to avoid planning too much. First, your guests will have different interests and want to do different things, so finding things that appeal to everyone will be tough. Second, it's lots of work for you. So plan an outing or a gathering or two, but try not to make too much work for yourself. It's your vacation too!

I'm getting married at some point as part of a cruise on Celebrity Summit this December. (We haven't decided yet whether to marry in San Juan before embarkation or in Barbados.) We have 22 sailing guests.

I think the post about group events vs wedding events was talking about TWE prices versus regular prices but organized as a group. TWE seems to be more expensive, maybe because it adds a middle man.

Oh and on activities, the only one group activity aside from our wedding is group dinner each night in the MDR. We may plan one group activity as a "reception" type activity if we just have champagne and cake for the wedding. Other than that I plan to give some excursion options for each port, but no "mandatory fun." I do expect some of our guests will go on excursions with us, and some will want alone time.

Archived