Changing Cabins on a GTY

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question :o

I've never booked a GTY before. I took a chance on our December Oasis Cruise, because I've read quite a few good luck stories about upgrades on a GTY, especially on the mega ships.

I just noticed we got our cabin assignment, and it's kind of a yuck. Connecting cabin, connected to a 4 passenger.

So, my questions are -

1. Can I change this cabin for any "Large Inside" or does it have to be another "L" category room?

2. People have mentioned releasing their GTY back, and taking chances on another assignment? How do you do that?

If anyone has any other advice on how to improve your position with a GTY, I'm all ears (of course, for no extra expense ;)).

Worse case, I'll keep watching for a deal on a balcony, and spend the money to upgrade. I just don't feel like paying more for a different inside room.

My understanding is that you can change to any other cabin in the category that you were placed in. If you are currently in a category L, you can switch to any category L. Of course, if the price drops at a later point, you should be able to upgrade to something else. I'm sure anyone can correct me if I am mistaken.

You can only change within the exact same category (L to L). Or, you can go back into the guarantee pool (but you might be assigned the same cabin again). To do either of these, call RCI (or have your travel agent call, if you used one).

Now, there have been recent posts where people have reported that RCI is no longer allowing guarantee assignments to be changed, especially for those that booked in the UK and outside the US.

When you call, dont mention that you originally booked a guarantee. Just say that you want to move from cabin xxxx to cabin yyyy within the same category.

If your request is denied, just hang up and call back later to try again with a different agent. You could ask to speak with a supervisor or the resolution department if you keep getting denied.

You can only change within the exact same category (L to L). Or, you can go back into the guarantee pool (but you might be assigned the same cabin again). To do either of these, call RCI (or have your travel agent call, if you used one).

Now, there have been recent posts where people have reported that RCI is no longer allowing guarantee assignments to be changed, especially for those that booked in the UK and outside the US.

When you call, dont mention that you originally booked a guarantee. Just say that you want to move from cabin xxxx to cabin yyyy within the same category.

If your request is denied, just hang up and call back later to try again with a different agent. You could ask to speak with a supervisor or the resolution department if you keep getting denied.

I agree. RCI has told me that once your GTY is assigned, yours is no longer considered as a GTY cabin. Once mine was assigned, I did daily mock bookings to check for other cabin locations in my D1 category, and changed the cabin location three times, inching from way forward to the hump! The last change was done the day after final payment was due, as a bunch of cabins opened up. Keep looking! I would not go back into the pool, as once you are assigned, you can have more control over your final cabin location.

Teddie

Archived