Honduras, Snorkel or Scuba w/dolphins?

In Roatan Honduras they have 2 options with dolphins, 1) is to scuba (interact) with 2-3 dolphins 45 min., $185.00, 2) Is to snorkel w/12 dolphins 30 min, $99.00

Anyone done this before? Just wondering if it's pretty much the same experience but your $ increase is cause your paying for boat & scuba gear.

We did the dolphin scuba dive - it was awesome. We spent about 30 minutes at the dive shop learning how to interact with a couple of their penned dolphins (the ones for the snorkel thing), then went out in the open ocean, and 2 dolphins (Hector & Richie) came and played with us for 45 - 50 minutes. We did have to wait a while till they showed up. Be aware that there is no guarantee that dolphins will show up - it's up to them. It was a great experience. Way worth it (once!) You do realize that you need to be a certified diver for the scuba trip I hope...

That's fairly steep, but it is a "wild" experience after all so that does add some to it.

If you just want to get in a swim with the dolphin any context, Cozumel as several options on that as well. You can go to Chankanaab and do it there (good choice) or you can go more into town and go with Dolphinaris.

I've seen both (did the Dolphinaris excursion several years back, friends swam at Chankanaab while we watched this year) and frankly, the Chankanaab location was better. It is through the ship, but the price was not as high as the scuba you are listing. Hands on time is guaranteed and after the swim, you can go explore the park. It IS a very nice park. (Except for the bathrooms behind the waterfall... Go in shivering in fear and exit wailing like a lost soul...)

Either way you choose, you will remove the word "animal" from any description of a dolphin after that. Those are people in a different form. I kid you not.

Yes, I sure know all about the dolphins/people. Taiji, Japan…….. :'(

I hate even paying to see dolphins in captivity, our goal was to only swim with them in a totally natural setting, like the Bahamas have (week boat trip), but that is not happening any time soon, so we figured this is the closest thing. I am certified, but it's been yrs since I have dived, so I thought if you get the same experience I'd do the snorkel, plus it's cheaper, (x4!!)

Thanks for the advise!

Archived