First cruise for the family

virginiafamily

My Husband and I are going on our first cruise in August to Catalina and ensanada with our 3 and 5 year old boys. I'm reading a lot bad stuff about ensanada. Can some one give me the low down on this cruise and hopefully some of the positives.........:confused:

We did this trip last November as well as in 2002.

In 2002 we opted to catch a van into town and just walk around. It was not the prettiest place but was lively and we never felt unsafe. We ended up coming upon a barber shop off the beaten path so my hubby decided to get a haircut. It was great! The older gentleman was so warm and friendly. He only spoke Spanish and we conversed with him in our very limited Spanish. We felt like we had known him forever. Great experience. However, we were not that impressed with the town and just bought a few souvineers and headed back to the ship for the rest of the day.

Last November, my family members had taken the ship sponsered La Bufadora excursion and loved it. Said they had a great time. Saw the video they shot and it looked like a lot of fun as well as a very beautiful area. Wish now I had gone.

Any other ?'s just ask!

We've never done a cruise there but have driven down there on our own. There really isn't much to see in town... the usual Papas and Beers. It's fairly touristy. If you can, go see La Bufadora. That really was the best part. If I recall correctly there was a flea market nearby where you can purchase all your souvenirs and churros. Yummy!

My wife and I did the Catalina-Ensenada cruise a few years ago. It was our first cruise. We loved it! We were hooked on cruising after that. We thought maybe it was just because it was our first time, and everything was new, so we did the same cruise the next year. We loved it again. We enjoyed Catalina, did a glass-bottom boat, and looked around town. In Ensenada we went to see La Bufadora. It was interesting. It is surrounded by a flea market, which was fun and interesting at first, but got a little old after a while. The second time we were in Ensenada, we knew our way around a little better, and just wandered and did a little shopping. We found interesting things, and good food. We never felt unsafe, and had a great time. Like anything, we discovered that a cruise can be as good as we decided to make it. Since then we have gone on longer cruises to more exciting ports. We enjoy the cruise itself, and the ports just add to the fun. Have a great time on your cruise!

Unfortunately, Ensenada always seems to get this bad rap. One thing you need to prepare yourself for is that Ensenada is NOT tropical Mexico! That is further south. Ensenada is a desert/Med climate. A lot of people who go there seem to think they are going to find palm trees, pristine beaches, and waiters in cute white shorts bringing frothy Margaritas to them while they lounge on the beach. Nope. Ain't gonna happen.

Another thing is that Ensenada is considered a border town. These places just seem to have a bit of "roughness" around their edges. It is important to keep in mind that, only until recently, Ensenada was a fishing town. That was its major industry. There were tourists, yes, but not like today. Now, tourism is the main industry in Ensenada but it still looks like the fishing town it was. There are no gorgeous highrise hotels (which is an oxymoron to my way of thinking anyway), no real beaches to speak of, no cute little boutiques. This town has only come into tourism in the past 30 years or so, and not a lot of money has been spent to make it visually appealing.

That said, Ensenada can be more "Mexican" than any other tourist place along the Riviera. You will have a chance to meet more locals than at other places, IMO. I personally enjoy Ensenada because of this, but that is me.

Some suggestions? If you can, get to La Bufadora. The scenery is just incredible and you will have some terrific photo opportunities! The blow hole itself can be quite amazing as well, provided you are there at high tide. The kids will love waiting and watching for the hole to erupt, and the spray keeps you cool. Yes, there is a bizarre mix of temporary shops that lead up to the main attraction, and vendors can get VERY aggressive. (A few actually grabbed my arm and tried to drag me into their shops) A simple "Gracias, no" and walking away firmly usually works. If truly bothered, just tell them you will not consider buying anything from some one who is aggressive. Personally, I would not buy from these shops. You can find better quality in town, and you won't have to go through all the haggling stuff. But, be prepared to "run the gauntlet" up and back. (But do stop and get freshly made churros for $1 each - they are GOOD and FRESH!)

Another option would be to take a drive down the coast. When I cruised with Carnival this past January, that was one of the ship's excursions and it seemed a good price. You went along the coast, with lots of stops for picture taking. Not sure if the kids would enjoy this, but the rugged coastline is really beautiful.

You could try to do Fox Studios in Rosarito, which might be something the kids would enjoy. All those movie props and stuff. But keep in mind it is a pricey tour and quite a drive, which might drive the kids crazy! (Heck, it would drive ME crazy!)

The city itself has basically one "main drag" that is filled with shops. The town has done quite a bit to rid the streets of children begging and street vendors, though there are a few. If not interested, just keep walking. (Though a tradition for me has always been to buy "Chicklets" from the kids. The gum is old and basically unchewable, but the kids do get to you!) You will be totally safe. I don't know why, but I've never felt uncomfortable in either Rosarito Beach or Ensenada and I've visited both many times. If you treat the locals with respect and dignity, they will respond in kind. Knowing a few key phrases in Spanish doesn't hurt either. You can get by with "Gracias", "Por Favor", "Perdón", "Cómo esta", "Muy bien", and - if shopping - "Cuánto es". (How much is it)

Along the main street, there are lots of restaurants. Are they good? Some are, some aren't. You can always ask to see a menu, or simply glance at what others are eating. (Many serve outside on the sidewalk.) When my mother and I went, we took a La Bufadora/winery tour then strolled around downtown for a while. (She got a great deal on a leather jacket) We went back to the ship, dropped off our purchases, made a few laps around on the ship's jogging track (walking, not jogging!), then headed back into town for dinner. (The ship was there until 10pm)

I think if you go not expecting to see the "typical Mexico" in the travel magazines, you will not be disappointed. The town is not "pretty", but it is functional. The people are gracious and make you feel welcome, providing you give them respect. You should have a great time!

I have been to Ensenada on a cruise and have also driven there. I would agree with the previous posters who say it is not a typical resort town.

We did the La Bufadora tour. It was a pretty drive, saw the blow hole, got hounded by the sellers. It was a good trip, but I wouldn't go again.

There are buses that take you from the ship terminal to the middle of downtown and that is where we booked our tour - it was pretty cheap (under $20) and included lunch after we returned to town. The lunch was a buffet at Oxidos Restaurante, which is next to one of the loud, well know restaurant/bars. (I can't remember if it was Senor Frog's or Papas and Beer) It was pretty good, so the next time we were in Ensenada we went there for dinner and had a wonderful meal with live band playing. (it was a weekend night) The band played older music (70's) but they were really good and was not terribly loud , as some of the other places tend to be. The food was a mix of all different kinds of food, including Mexican plates. (more like what you would find in an American restaurant, but I liked the salad so much I borrowed the waiters pen to write down the ingredients so I could make it at home!)

We walked around and found the same typical stuff. Went to a "high-rise" hotel (maybe 10 stories) where we looked in at the bar: boring. Found a pool hall where we (4 of us) played several rounds of pool for about $2. Beers were cheap, and the worst part was that we didn't have US small bills and had to walk a ways down the street to get change to pay - but they were willing to let us, trusting we would come back and pay. (we went back a couple days later too) The town is really close enough to walk to from the pier, but they tend to make you think that you should take the buses into town. (probably to drop you where they think they can get you on a tour) If you want to stroll around town, just walk, it's not that far. Our second trip we were staying on a sailboat at the marina next to the cruise ship pier and walked to town everyday - when we weren't out sailing. We also had a meal down by the fish markets, but be prepared to sit at picnic tables with the locals and eat on paper plates, very casual, but VERY cheap.

Have Fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Our Cruise has had an itinerary change that drops us off in Ensenada instead of San Diego, as originally scheduled. When I made the suggestion of renting a car in Ensenada and driving back to San Diego I was gently discouraged, with negative remarks about the roads in Baja and the difficutly of finding a decent rental car.

Since you have made the trip, can you give me any advice on the road condition? We were thinking of taking the toll road. If you drove down, you probably didn't need a rental, but I do know that Hertz has an office there.

Any advice at all would be appreciated. The feedback I am getting is all pretty negative and that doesn't really sound like the Mexico I have heard so much about in Southern California.

Thanks.

Hi,

Our Cruise has had an itinerary change that drops us off in Ensenada instead of San Diego, as originally scheduled. When I made the suggestion of renting a car in Ensenada and driving back to San Diego I was gently discouraged, with negative remarks about the roads in Baja and the difficutly of finding a decent rental car.

Since you have made the trip, can you give me any advice on the road condition? We were thinking of taking the toll road. If you drove down, you probably didn't need a rental, but I do know that Hertz has an office there.

Any advice at all would be appreciated. The feedback I am getting is all pretty negative and that doesn't really sound like the Mexico I have heard so much about in Southern California.

Thanks.

I'm a little confused, but the way I think I'm reading this is that your cruise terminates in Ensenada? Then what? The cruise line somehow gets you over the border? Or are you thinking of getting off the ship in Ensenada and driving to San Diego?

Either which way, I really do hate it when people tell other people that driving in Mexico is such a bad thing! Usually, the most dangerous drivers you will encounter are Americans vacationing in Mexico! ARGH! Anyway...

You will need to check the insurance requirements, as your regular insurance (assuming you are American?) will not cover you in Mexico. I'm not sure if the rental agency can help you with this. (Normally, I've always purchased the insurance in the States at the border.) You would also need to check to see what the prices will be for dropping the car off in another country - and if it is even allowed. Some rental agencies will not allow their cars to leave the country, either way. As far as the roads are concerned, they are no better or worse than those in the US. The toll road between Ensenada and Tijuana is a great road. Well paved and well marked. Things might get a little confusing when you get to Tijuana - it is a big city and people do seem to drive fast and crazy. (But then, I'm sure most Mexicans who drive in LA think the same thing!)

If you do decide to follow through on this, I would really recommend crossing the border at Ojai Mesa rather than Tijuana. (This is supposing you are trying to drive back to the US) It is a much faster crossing and just less chaotic. To get there you would head in the same direction as Tijuana airport. I'm sure the rental agency can help you out.

Just be careful to follow the speed limits and road laws. Mexican policia, just as some of our own Highway Patrol, are great at hiding and nabbing those tourists! But observing speed limits and following the rules of the roads will keep you out of trouble.

Thanks so much for your response.

I was hoping that someone who has traveled this route would come back with an answer just like yours. Yes, we are aware of the insurance requirements, and had planned on checking with the Southern California Auto Club to see if renting in Ensenada and dropping in San Diego was feasible. Hertz has offices in both places.

I have been fortunate enough to visit what I consider the "real" Mexico i.e. other than border and tourist towns and found it not unlike many parts of the US, and often much friendlier. We just haven't done a lot of traveling in Baja and I was dismayed at the indications that I was getting on other boards. I have to assume that they were really not familiar with Mexico.

In any case, the situation is that the cruise will end in Ensenada (instead of San Diego) and we will be bused up to San Diego, to the airport, I assume. The descriptions of this disembarkation included "standing around in the hot sun for two hours while our bags waited in the bus" and how the port at Ensenada was in rather poor condition and how people really disliked the entire experience.

I just figured if it was that bad why not just rent a car and drive up. I didn't really think it was all that big a deal, until I got the responses that I did.

We are now leaning towards letting the cruise line (Celebrity) do the driving, but not because we are not "adventurous" enough to do it ourself, but because the hassle of getting a taxi at the pier to rental place, waiting at the border, checking the car in at the airport or wherever, and then driving another couple of hours to our home in Twentynine Palms, Ca, just seems more tedious than the hassle that the cruise line could create if they tried to.

But I would like to have made that drive, I understand that it is quite scenic. Perhaps some other time. Thanks again for the reassurance.

Susan

BTW We used to live in Orange County and my husband commuted to LA every day. Now THAT was a rough drive!

We have done this trip three or four times. We now do it for the cruise experience. We are going in October and are going to experience a ship we have never cruised on before. We will stay on the ship in Ensenada and take advantage of some of the activities happening on the ship.

Carol

The toll road between Ensenada and Tijuana is a great road. Well paved and well marked.

We just came back today from our cruise we took the tour up to fox studios in Mexico. I think we had to pay at 2-4 different toll routes I don't remember as I fell asleep,but it was only 2.35 for the toll routes per car. Something to consider is I don't know how long of a dock time you have, but you might be cutting it close to drive to San Diego, then drive back, esp. with all the security and such. Just something to think about.:confused:

"Something to consider is I don't know how long of a dock time you have, but you might be cutting it close to drive to San Diego, then drive back, esp. with all the security and such."

Unfortunately, Ensenada is not just a port stop, Celebrity has changed this cruise's destination from San Diego to Ensenada. Not sure why, since we are stopping in British Columbia which I thought satisfied the requirements of the Jones Act...

Archived