Restaurants in Italy in August

I have read in the Fodors guide book that many restaurants are closed in August (mainly in Rome we are concerned with). Has anyone been to Rome in August? Are there still many open restaurants? Any recommendations? Is there anything else that is closed in August I should know about?

Thanks,

Missy

We found a few of the fancier restaurants in Rome were closed in August, but it was only a few. There were tons of places to choose from. If you have your heart set on someplace you should check in advance, but I doubt you will be inconvenienced at all.

We stayed at the Del Senato and their rooftop bar was closed the week we were there; we were sad about that, but there was plenty of action in the square. None of the sights were closed.

Good luck!

I have read in the Fodors guide book that many restaurants are closed in August (mainly in Rome we are concerned with). Has anyone been to Rome in August? Are there still many open restaurants? Any recommendations? Is there anything else that is closed in August I should know about?

Thanks,

Missy

Every year people ask the same question about Rome,Paris, London,and I have never figured out why the travel books don't change what they have written for years when a lot of places did close,but that was so many years ago. Now,in most cities,you will find plenty of places open trust me. Maybe a few of the smaller places may close or family run places,but you will not have any problem finding a good place to eat in Rome,and I have been there in August as well.I would suggest trying any of the places in the Piazza Navona area,around the Piazza and it's offshoot streets.Also, there are some fancier places on the via Venato,and just to many other areas to name. Have a great visit to Rome.

Archived