Longer Snorkel Trip WITHOUT Stingray City

scotlady

Hi,

We love to snorkel, but have already seen stingrays other places. Can anyone recommend a longer snorkel trip - as in "more time actually snorkeling". The ones through the ship seem to only spend about a half hour or so actual snorkeling time at a reef. We would like at least an hour.

Any help :confused:

Other than hiring a private charter, there are not many non-sting ray city snorkeling tours easily available for cruise visitors.

One option is a snorkel only tour to the Kittiwake wreck and nearby Cemetery Reef.

RedSail Kittiwake Snorkel

A better option, IMO, is to snorkel from shore right around George Town's harbour area. Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto and Cheeseburger Reef/Wreck of the Cali areas are both walkable from the cruise ship terminal, but in opposite directions.

The snorkeling may not be the best the island has to offer, but it will be as good as you'll get with the above tour or other snorkel only tours available at the pier/terminal. Rental gear is available at either location and you'll be able to spend as much time snorkeling as you like.

We usually spend the entire day at Eden Rock/Paradise Bar and Grill. Chairs, lockers, restaurant, drinks, easy entire to the water. Lots of fish, most times huge tarpon, lots of small marine fish in close, huge coral and sights alittle farther offshore. fresh water shower. It's a 5-10 minute walk from the cruise pier.

Thanks for the reply, Turtletagger.

So, in your opinion, what is the best snorkeling the island has to offer? What location?

I feel the best snorkeling on he island is located on the East End and North Side, basically on the opposite side of the island from George Town and Seven Mile Beach. When visiting on a cruise, unless you are a hardcore snorkeler, I would advise you just hit Eden Rock/Devils Grotto or Cemetery Beach.

There is a good on-line guide with great info on many sites that I'll need to link when I get back home and can look it up.

Archived