Excursions to Rome from cruise ship to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Trevi Fountain

HellouB

Hi there,

We are travelling at Christmas through the Med and we want to go to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Trevi fountain.

My mother has difficulty walking and uses a rollator. She can walk at a normal pace, has difficulty with steps but can use them if no other alternative and has problems with standing for long periods.

Has anyone ever booked an excursion which would be suitable? I contacted Cunard who we are sailing with and their tour is fast paced and my mother would hate to slow any other guests down. They have said they can offer a private limo/cab to St Peter's square, but I need a tour that includes entrance fees and can take you to the front of the line. I am happy to go with others with similar issues, it doesn't have to be a private tour.

Thanks for your help.

I would personally look to do a private tour in Rome. My husband and I used Rome Cabs several years ago. I would never want to do the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's, etc. with 50 other people from a ship ' tour. Our tour guide took us to the secret window in Rome and to this day have not met one other person that has been taken there. It was something I will never forget.

There is plenty of information on here regards doing Rome on your own. I have been to Rome many times, but never on a cruise. In the Sistine Chapel you can borrow a wheelchair and they show you an accessinle route. I also believe you can get into the Vatican aneasier way with wheelchair.

The Trevi Fountain is in a street and fairly easy to get to.

I think the suggestion of taking a Travelscoot a good one, although Rome has to be the most disabled unfriendly capital in Europe.

Have a look on the Rome and Travelling with Disabilities Forums on Tripadvisor, there is lots of info there.

I have mobility problems, but never book ship's excursions, they are too expensive. You need to do research though.

Archived