Floatplane in Juneau Question

amhbas

Floatplanes hold either 6 or 10 depending on the plane. We were on a DeHaviland Beaver which holds the pilot and 5 passengers. BTW, if you are still considering whether to take a floatplane excursion or not, DO IT! It was a wonderful experience. We took the Taku Lodge salmon bake and floatplane trip out of Juneau. The flight was an indescribable experience. You see Alaska from a completely different perspective. Of all the things that we did on our 2 trips to Alaska, this was the best by far. I had never flown in a small plane before and was a little apprehensive about it but I would do it again in a second. The takeoffs and landings were so smooth that you couldn't tell when you left the water or touched down again and the flight was very smooth except when you go over the top of a mountain and feel the updraft from the other side. It is a not-to-be-missed experience!

I will be posting pictures later when I have a chance to sort through the 2000 that we took!

Does anyone know how many people can sit on one floatplane. Thanks:confused:

There is a range to the number of people that can go into a floatplane. The Alaska Seaplane Services has a 3-seater and a 6-seater which it charges per hour for the planeful; so if you have 4 people you still will pay for the whole 6-seater plane. It is very reasonable, however, $480/6 for one hour of Juneau Ice Cap/Field flightseeing. Alaska Fly'N'Fish Charters has a 4-seater. Both of these companies are very responsive to inquiries.

The others, ones that are always featured on the shore excursions, such as Wings over Alaska, take forever to get a response.

The floatplanes go by total weight of the passengers, so no one gets penalized for weighing over 250# (have to pay for another 1/2 seat) as on the helicopters.

I have booked with Alaska Seaplane Services for an Ice caps flight on 6/5. I can't wait! :)

Our flight was with Wings and we had no complaints. Of course we booked through Princess so we didn't have to deal directly with Wings. One of our group was a pilot and he had nothing but praise for our pilot. He did a great job and gave us the trip of a lifetime. Also, the salmon bake was wonderful. One of the best meals that I have ever had and we got to see a bear up close and personal to boot.

Archived