Gratuities question

Hol-meister

OP, the search function here is difficult to navigate, on the days that it's working at all. And NCL's FAQ section gives confusing answers sometimes.

So, don't let snarky people get to you...they may have wandered over to this board from one of the other cruise lines...one well known for being a snark paradise.

You've pretty much gotten your answers from other people now, but let me add that I think prepaying tips is a good idea. That's what I do, because when the cruise comes it's one less thing to worry about and one less expense to handle at the end. It might seem like the gratuities are a lot of money, but when you see how hard those people work you understand how much they deserve it.

I hope you have an AWESOME cruise!!!

Recently a person left no tip on a $138 bill they paid via CC eating out.

They even put on the receipt how great everything was with this wording; Single mom cannot afford to tip... yet can afford to eat out and spend over a $100? Just like cruising and spending Thousands and not tipping.

Some people (not the op) will do anything to pay less and dream up ways that justifies it.

I don't agree with this, but I think in this particular case - its worse than this.

If you're tight everywhere, fine. You're tight and you don't tip or tip marginally for whatever reason. That is fine and its your prerogative.. .

But if you tip well to foreigners (who could be very well off in their country) and decide to place your shaft on your neighbors, city/county/state residences/US workers - how sensible is that (not even considering patriotism). And to go even further by saying painting with a very large brush that every college student in your college town as just working for "fun" money - so not deserving of a tip ???

I think someone is basically saying that a tip is NOT compensation but is their own charitable giving for what they deem to be worthwhile for subsistence living. It isn't for how good or bad service is rendered.

As I said - you can have an argument against tips - thats fine. But when the argument/debate isn't about whether the company should pay more or less, but whether you without knowing the background of the person is making such decisions - sorry I find that to be without logic.

Archived