Radios onboard

???

Yes some ship ops occur on a VOIP Phone network, however there is still much one-board that is two-way FM Radio (YMMV by Ship/Cruise Line) much of it Analog

As for the ship using Amateur radio?? Only as a hobby or a last resort (Distress) :eek:

The ship staff wireless communication network is what cruise staff use for intra ship communication which is basically a VOIP system for ships communication with outside world is mostly digital the only reason I could see them using ham radio is incase the system broke down

OP -

Program you HT for the GRMS freqs at 5 watts. If security asks, just tell them they are FRS radios... which they will be.

Just remember that those freqs are not Global; don't use them on shore at a non-US port.

If you can, program the marine VHf radiotelephone freqs as RX to listen in on the ship to ship comms; ~156.050-157.400 or there abouts

Aloha,

John

Stay away from the 457/467 Band as those Freqs are what the Cruise Ships use for on-board Comms (Yup, right in the same band as FRS/GMRS)

One thing to keep in-mind (others mention this with FRS) that the radios you have are generally (Business band not Amateur) LEGAL in the US and Canada, but not the various foreign countries.

I generally use my radios to listen (Head phones) and have only taken them off the boat, in Bermuda when I had a Permit for Amateur use

I am thinking about taking some of my better radios with me on my next trip . They are 5W max 36-174/400-480Mhz . Do you think these will be an issue onboard? Any recommendations on channels to use ? Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks!

This is not true. Anyone with a radio can listen to cruise ship traffic, and lots of people do it all the time. Radio communications are regulated by the FCC, and international agreements, and as long as you are in compliance, and not interfering with the communications of others (not just on the ship, but anyone in the world), courts have decided that private companies cannot overrule the FCC.

Radio communications are regulated by the FCC in the United States. As soon as you are in international waters though, different rules apply!

Those are old rules and were designed for the Amateur HF Rigs.

Sadly it has never been updated. And they (Security) would not now the difference in a portable FRS/GMRS vs a commercial or Amateur radio.

Amateur Radio will not typically interfere with modern cruise ship VHF Marine and/or internal UHF Ops. FRS/GMRS have more of a change to interfere.

Generally a portable will not cause any issues. My last cruise, the Cabin Steward saw/heard my Scanner (in the cabinet) and I had a one-on-one with Security explaining it did not transmit. I'm brining mine again on the next cruise, however as always YMMV

Listening is not a prohibition. :rolleyes: It's even fun as we listen/watch for the late-runners

Old rules or not, the infomation cited by Bob is correct and until the rules have been revised or updated, the ban is in effect. You can't exactly claim ignorance of the ban if you have participated in this thread, so don't complain if your ham radio is confiscated and held until the end of your cruise. Perhaps you can petition the executives at RCI to remove this item from the list of banned items but I'm not sure that such an action is high on their "to do" list.

Edited by negc

I have a query in to RC regarding the apparent conflict in their FAQ regarding HAM radios are not allowed, but radios less than 5W with less than 10mile range are allowed.

I've accepted that if they say no, I'll leave my Baofeng HT's at home. I'll pass on the results of my query.

What an interesting thread. I am an Amateur Radio Op in Australia. I was wondering about Ham radio bans on RCI ships as well.

In Australia we can take CB (citizen band) UHF radios on board, that's probably because they have 80 channels and they are set and cannot be programmed. In fact on Radiance last year they where selling them.

Part of my HAM license says that I cannot operate a ham radio within another country without obtaining a license (or permission) for that country, so I guess that operating in International Waters would mean that I would be breaching my Australian license by not obtaining permission or obtaining a license from ? but as the ships says NO HAM radio,being the floating island owner, I guess I am up the creek without a paddle.

The radio mentioned Baofeng is classed as a Ham Radio as it is programmable to the ham bands so it is illegal to have one here in Australia without holding a license (some of this area is still a bit confusing so there are different views, like I noted in the thread) but that is the basic understanding.

Thanks for the thread very interesting conclusions.

Sad so many folks do not know the limits of their Commercial / FRS / GMRS when leaving their home country. Those Bubble pack radios are worse than USA CB (27 Mhz)

Folks don't know that the GMRS / FRS is only valid in American, Canada and for only a few (FCC) type accepted radios Mexico

US Commercial Freq's might be assigned to Public Safety in the Country we visit. As you likely know your Australia CB is actually in the US TV Band and in some US Cities - Public Safety

I need to see what Carnival is selling on my next Cruise - out of curiosity.

That's why I like my Scanner and Amateur Radios (when I have applied for permits)

Good thread/Good chatter

What an interesting thread. I am an Amateur Radio Op in Australia. I was wondering about Ham radio bans on RCI ships as well.

In Australia we can take CB (citizen band) UHF radios on board, that's probably because they have 80 channels and they are set and cannot be programmed. In fact on Radiance last year they where selling them..

Hey guys and gals thanks for all your replies . Technically it is a Dual-Band DTMF CTCSS DCS FM Ham Two Way Radio. I have used them in many places but never on a cruise ship . I intended on locking them into FRS frequencies and to not interfere with any ship board communications. On there website they post

" Up to 10-mile coverage range, Up to 5 watts power, Internal Voice, Operated Transmission, No external mounting antenna"

Mine does not exceed any of those requirements . The intent is to keep in touch with my other party members . They have a silent vibrate feature so its not like ill be blasting it all the time . More along the lines of a big cell phone with no roaming charges :)

Thanks again !

We have taken a scanner onboard many time and listened to the shipboard radio. They use phones alot onboard now but still use radio for sailaway.

there are PLENTY of ways to keep in touch that WILL NOT cause disruption to your fellow passengers. the ones that RCI lets you rent are specifically coded to work on the ship. nearly anything else you bring on board will NOT without lots of static, or dropped signal. nobody cares about the vibrate feature.. its when you are shouting into it to be heard over the pool noise or to be heard by the other party in the VCL during quiet hours that your fellow passengers worry about.

"WHAT?" crackle crackle "Where are you?" crackle crackle "I said I'm going to bingo, not singing a jingle" crackle crackle "Can you hear me now?" crackle crackle crackle "Just meet me in the cabin at 4:30" crackle crackle crackle

Hi everyone. So on all of my trips since I have taken my radios on with me. On a freedom class ship they work from the front on deck 2 to almost the flowrider ( but not all the way ). Clear Communication on MURS, FRS and even more outside those ranges like 440 Mhz at 5W. I look up what channels the ship uses and never go near them . I also do not use them in port to prevent any local law issues.

I have spoken with a few (at least 3 ) RCI reps. They all say keep it below 5W and its fine . I hope this clears things up for everyone . If you have any more questions please feel free to ask .