Chacchoben or Dzibanche??

bakegirl

We're having a really hard time deciding if we should do the Chacchoben Extreme tour or the Dzibanche ruins (Native Choice). Has anyone done both that could comment? Is it worth the extra driving time to do Dzibanche?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to both Dzibanche (Dec '12)and Chacchoben (April '12)

Dzbanche is actually about a city block or so of walking BUT the ruins actually still have painted plaster visible. In addition (if anyone is brave enough) you can actually climb the pyramids. Most importantly, the tourists aren't there yet. When we went (6 people, a guide and a driver) we were literally the only people there the first hour. Then we saw a man with his son who came to tell our guide that they'd seen howler monkeys and would take us to see them and their babies. So we walked through a jungle path to watch baby monkey's climb through the trees and then got hollared at by the adult male monkey. Our guide was Francisco and he was actually one of the people who helped uncover the ruins so he was really well informed. The entire way there he showed pictures from the excavation and other pictures of artifacts. You could tell that this was a passion for him. It was an amazing site and my favorite of the three I've visited (Tulum, Chacchoben and Dzbanche)

Chacchoben had one main impressive pyramid but I felt the rest of the site was too crowded and the rest of the pyramids a bit of a let down. We had David as our guide there and he was simply wonderful and informative. I actually saw him when we were waiting for our Dzibanche tour and he sat down to chat about Tulum and some of the history there.

Oh, both of those tour were through Native Choice. Ivan was actually in our bus (but he did the tour with a different group) and he was utterally fascinating to talk to. He also remembered us in December. I can't stress enough how wonderful these guides were and how informed. Whichever you choose just know that you are getting an expert as your guide.

We just booked Chacchoben with Natures Choice for our Glory cruise. DW thought that the other ruins were just a bit too far and too much time spent driving. I'm sure we'll have fun, regardless!

These were my favorite until I saw Dzibanche so you will definitely still enjoy it!! Native Choice is a first class tour group

Native Choice is great, have used them 3 times.

Chacchoben is a BIG disappointment, very little to see and very crowed.

Dzbanche is agreat, large and uncrowded. In the jungle and you can walk on the structures.

Archived