Help out a cruise virgin

flyingcomet

Hi all

Greetings from Australia! I've just joined the forum and am totally new to cruising. Have yet to go on a cruise but am hoping to change that this year.

I really want to go on the RSVP Alaska cruise in July. My friend who was due to come along can't make it so I am now flying solo.

As a single cruiser do you guys have any hints or pearls of wisdom you can share? I will need to find a cabin mate to share the cost - how would I go about doing that?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Help me lose my cruise cherry!

thanks

My first cruise was with RSVP and I went as a solo traveler. They arranged a cabin mate for me, which worked out well. Some people are not as lucky with theirs, but RSVP makes adjustments should there be problems. On my cruise, a guy was put off the ship for trying to force is cabin mate to have sex with him...so the cabin mate had his own room the rest of the journey.

My suggestion would be to treat it as an adventure. Since on the Roll Call board you cannot look for a roommate, I am not sure what else to suggest.

Best of luck with what ever you decide. And say hi to the Columbian Hotel for me. Loved that place when I visited in 2008.

Hi all

Greetings from Australia! I've just joined the forum and am totally new to cruising. Have yet to go on a cruise but am hoping to change that this year.

I really want to go on the RSVP Alaska cruise in July. My friend who was due to come along can't make it so I am now flying solo.

As a single cruiser do you guys have any hints or pearls of wisdom you can share? I will need to find a cabin mate to share the cost - how would I go about doing that?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Help me lose my cruise cherry!

thanks

Well, first FYI-it's against CC rules to look for a room mate here on CC, but a few other website you allow you to go this, but...that's still a risky idea IMO. Either you bring a friend along or do the cabin share through RSVP.

As a solo cruiser I'm done the room share program on both Atlantis and RSVP and I believe this is the easiest and safest way to go. They will assign you a cabin mate based on smoking or non-smoking and you just pay the per person rate in the type of cabin you want..inside/outside/balcony. I do believe they try to put you with someone around your same age bracket, but that's not guaranteed. In the rare chance they can't find you a cabin mate you get the cabin all to yourself at the PP rate. I'm done the cabin share several times and in general it's worked out OK for me. In most cases I rarely saw my cabin mates. On embarkation a letter in give to each party in the cabin outlining the rules of the cabin share and privacy issues. I'm think most people are respectful, but of course their is always be that 1% that are not, but I haven't heard of any major problems. I always talk to my room mate and set the ground rules up front about "entertaining" guests and everyone is pretty cool about that. For me I only use the cabin to sleep, nap and change and am not in the cabin that much and why would you on a gay cruise? Also I bring ear plugs just in case the other person snores and I don't bring any valuables. If privacy issues are a major issue for you then you will have to purchase a cabin all to yourself @ 2x the PP rate. The last option is to see if their is a Facebook group for your sailing and post a message looking for a room mate. I just off my last gay charter last October to Mexico and it was absolutely incredible. You will be hooked.

My first cruise was with RSVP and I went as a solo traveler. They arranged a cabin mate for me, which worked out well. Some people are not as lucky with theirs, but RSVP makes adjustments should there be problems. On my cruise, a guy was put off the ship for trying to force is cabin mate to have sex with him...so the cabin mate had his own room the rest of the journey.

My suggestion would be to treat it as an adventure. Since on the Roll Call board you cannot look for a roommate, I am not sure what else to suggest.

Best of luck with what ever you decide. And say hi to the Columbian Hotel for me. Loved that place when I visited in 2008.

Thanks for the tips - it sounds like most people have had a positive experience with the cabin mate matching. Am less concerned about it now.

Thanks for the tips - it sounds like most people have had a positive experience with the cabin mate matching. Am less concerned about it now.

Hi Comboy

Thanks for replying and for the tips. Understand I can't post a "looking for cabinmate" thread on here. I was more after some advice around how the cabin mate matching thing works.

It sounds like most have had a positive experience which is good to know. As you say, you are probably only in the cabin to sleep and change as there is so much to do onboard.

I'll give RSVP a call and get booked !

thanks again

Archived