Yoga Classes on board

dijid

Has anyone taken a yoga class on board? Is it geared towards people who aren't familiar with yoga and want to try it, or is it something for people who practice yoga regularly to be able to keep doing it while they're on board?

Also - anyone have the latest fees? Are they still $10or are there any increases for 2013?

Yes, I have been to yoga classes on the Jewel and the Dawn. I will try to describe it as best I can--but I find people have very different expectations for yoga classes.

I would say these classes are very basic--and are not actually taught by what I consider to be certified yoga instructors. That said--the instructors were competent and the experience was positive for me. Here is why. Both times the location was where you could look out over the water. The slight movement of the ship adds a bit of an extra challenge and is very interesting in terms of practicing mindfulness. I also liked getting out of the madness of the cruise mentality, and doing something more calming.

If you do yoga more for the meditation and mindfulness aspect it is likely to be a good experience for you. If you are looking for ashtunga or really challenging yoga--a cruise ship is not where you will find it.

My personal opinion is that one can work to their level even in a very basic class--especially if you have been doing yoga for a while.

I always feel it is worth a try, and it is going to be a better practice than what I can pull off on my own regardless. But over time and wherever I have gone to yoga I have pretty much found that it always comes down to the instructor. Who knows--it could be fabulous--or terrible (like at a resort last year I actually left the class). On NCL they use their fitness staff to do all the classes so it is probably goign to be somewhat hit or miss. I can't comment on price as it has been over a year.

Good luck! :)

yoyocruiser - Thank you for taking the time to post your response. That really is helpful. I practice ashtanga yoga regularly, and hate missing two weeks for vacation. I've been doing it enough that I do know how to modify positions/sequences to suit my level, so it could work out. And I hadn't thought about the challenges of being on a moving ship. That could make it interesting for sure!

Archived