Studios for a Single Parent?

thixson

Then why do TAs think my 13 y/o staying WITH her 18 y/o sister in an adjoining room from me is a problem? I really don't understand why no one seems to be able to get their stories straight about simple things like this.

DML

I think it is allowed in connecting cabins, but not cabins that are just next door to each other(ie no connecting interior door). That is what I have been told.

I think it is allowed in connecting cabins, but not cabins that are just next door to each other(ie no connecting interior door). That is what I have been told.

Sigh. Thanks for the information. Really, I think most of the TAs (businesspeople in general) need to learn the meaning of the words they choose. There's a difference between adjoining and adjacent, but since the person above said either was acceptable...I was wondering if that was right. That's why I ask. It's a mess if you get it wrong.

DML

You might want to check on this. I believe it might depend on the age of the child in question. I've been told by a TA that it's fine for my 18 y/o to stay in an adjoining/adjacent room, but when I throw the younger two into the mix, they start talking about one parent "booking" in each room and then switching rooms from there, because (according to them) a younger teen (especially my 13 y/o) is too young not to have an over 21 with them. I MAY be getting misinformation. Wouldn't be the first time a TA was wrong, after all. But I would rather be safe than sorry there.

DML

I've booked twice with my 15 year old across the hall, one time she was many rooms away. (farther than I thought, my fault but it worked out)

The rule is was that you had to book each room with an adult but when you board you can go where you want. (example I was booked with my child's friend, hubby was booked with our child; once aboard the kids were in one room, we stayed in the other. The PCC knows this and even puts bed together instructions in our room)

Now the rule is your kids CAN be booked by themselves as long as you are across, next door or adjacent.

You may have misread my post or I'm not understanding yours. I said that all solo's on the ship can go in the lounge for the solo gathering. I don't believe that someone travelling with kids is solo. I'll respectfully disagree on that point.

I think the OP should get a Studio room and enjoy everything.

Of course they are solo....... I've been in that solo lounge many times traveling in a balcony with my daughter. Someone traveling with kids is solo. You may not believe it, but it is true.

My only caution would be about the lounge. Our group played adult games, had adult conversations, etc. there were no children in the studios for the entire week. I'm not sure it will as family friendly an environment as you think...people go to drink and have fun and meet new people, and sometimes the conversation isn't appropriate for an 8 year old.

The OP never said her she wanted her child in the lounge. She said her child would be in the kids club.

The rule is was that you had to book each room with an adult but when you board you can go where you want. (example I was booked with my child's friend, hubby was booked with our child; once aboard the kids were in one room, we stayed in the other. The PCC knows this and even puts bed together instructions in our room)

You seem to miss the point that you can't do that if you're traveling alone with a child. There isn't two of you to book that way. But thank you for the information. It does work for my situation, since it's two adults with the kids.

DML

Of course they are solo....... I've been in that solo lounge many times traveling in a balcony with my daughter. Someone traveling with kids is solo. You may not believe it, but it is true.

This is more talking in nuances. Technically speaking, someone with a child isn't traveling solo, but since the purpose of the club is for adult singles to meet and greet (as I understand it), a child would not invalidate that status, since a child is not a romantic interest or peer of the adult traveler. So Cheryl is absolutely correct when she states that traveling with a child does not strip your status as a single/solo, for the purposes of those meet and greets.

DML

You seem to miss the point that you can't do that if you're traveling alone with a child. There isn't two of you to book that way. But thank you for the information. It does work for my situation, since it's two adults with the kids.

DML

If I was by myself I could still put my child in the room next door or across the hall as I stated. This is the new rule. The way I had previously booked is the old rule.

This is more talking in nuances. Technically speaking, someone with a child isn't traveling solo, but since the purpose of the club is for adult singles to meet and greet (as I understand it), a child would not invalidate that status, since a child is not a romantic interest or peer of the adult traveler. So Cheryl is absolutely correct when she states that traveling with a child does not strip your status as a single/solo, for the purposes of those meet and greets.

DML

Thank you... That is what I was getting at in a very inartful manner......

I've booked twice with my 15 year old across the hall, one time she was many rooms away. (farther than I thought, my fault but it worked out)

Now the rule is your kids CAN be booked by themselves as long as you are across, next door or adjacent.

Yes to this. We just booked yesterday for the Epic with our kids. I told our PCC that we wanted a balcony for dh and I, and an inside room across the hall for the kids ages 10, 14, and 17. He said that for booking, we needed to put a parent in each room, but once on board we do as we please. I don't know how it would work for a single parent. Adjoining studios would be best if you want your own room and a bit more privacy, I would think.

Carol

Archived