Best thing 2 do on arrival in Rome?

We are planning several days pre cruise in Rome next year and would love some suggestions on things to do once we get checked into our hotel after the all night flight. Preferably something outside in the sun so it will be easier to stay awake! I am looking for something that will really get my 15 year old daughter's attention (and mine!), that we can ooh or aaah at!

We just returned Sunday and on our trip we just did 1 day precruise in Rome. We landed at 10:10am and made it to the hotel just before 11:30. Our room was ready so we just freshened up and grabbed a taxi at the hotel and asked him to take us into town. We were at the Crowne Plaza St Peters so it was a bit away from the major attractions.

We found ourselves just walking around in awe at everything! We ended up seeing Trevi Fountain, the Coloseum, Victor Emanuell Monument and then stopped and had a late lunch at streetside cafe. It was wonderful, but by 4pm I was tired and hot! Then we took a cab back to the hotel where I took a 2 hour nap and then got ready for dinner.

You'll love it!

For the ultimate OOH Factor, you can't beat the colloseum. My next suggestion would be Fontana di Trevi, but it's really better at night when its lit up. To force yourself to stay awake you can tour the colloseum, then walk through the forum which will lead you to Piazza Venezia where the Vittorio Emmanuel monument stands in the middle looking like a wedding cake. By this time you should be exhausted and ready for a nap. There are taxi ranks at P. Venezia where you can get one back to your hotel to rest before dinner.

Personally, I don't try to stay awake anymore. I usually nap for a couple hours, if the hotel room is ready, then go out, have dinner, and then go back to sleep. My internal clock is adjusted and I'm on local time the next day.

Just get out and walk!! There is so much to see at every corner IMHO.I don't know where you are staying,but if city center walk to the Trevi Fountain as even during the day it is a wow factor. Walk to Piazza Navona,another wow factor IMHO,and have a pizza there for lunch. Walk the main shopping street via Del Corso,window shop,walk up the Spanish Steps.You will have a ball.Have a good street map and you will be just fine and wowed at the same time.:D

Thanks for all of your suggestions. We are not going until the end of May, 2006 so I can't even make a hotel reservation yet. The 2 hotels that are at the top of my list are the Intercontinental and The Marriott Flora. Probably whichever one is the cheaper is the one I will book. Their locations are great, one is near the American Embassy in case we have any problems, and are in good shopping (window shopping for me!) areas as well as within walking distance to a lot of the things you all mentioned. Can any of you suggest which hotel is better for women travelling by themselves?

Thanks for all of your suggestions. We are not going until the end of May, 2006 so I can't even make a hotel reservation yet. The 2 hotels that are at the top of my list are the Intercontinental and The Marriott Flora. Probably whichever one is the cheaper is the one I will book. Their locations are great, one is near the American Embassy in case we have any problems, and are in good shopping (window shopping for me!) areas as well as within walking distance to a lot of the things you all mentioned. Can any of you suggest which hotel is better for women travelling by themselves?

Staying up on or near the via Venato is fine,but IMHO it is further to walk to a lot of the sights than staying down(key word there) near the Spanish Steps or on via del Corso.Check out the Grand Hotel Plaza on del Corso..great location,but on the pricey side although probably no more than the Int C.which is at the top of the Spanish Steps and not a bad location either.The area's are fine for women traveling together.There are several other hotle's in the same area of the Spanish Steps as well and I am sure someone will post. You can check out any hotels on Trip Advisor.com.

My wife and I spent 1.5 days pre-cruise in Rome before our Honeymoon last August. While a lot of places were shuttered for summer holiday, there was still too much to see and do.

You have to take your daughter to the Sistine Chapel. There is nothing more amazing in all of Rome than these murals. Even if you aren't into art, even if you aren't particularily religious, the Sistine Chapel must be on your list of things to see.

While at the Sistine Chapel, you might as well walk around to Saint Peter's. The place is just amazing. Not necessarily beautiful, just amazing in its immenseness. One thing about St. Peters, they won't let you in if you are wearing shorts. Long pants for men, pants for women, or skirts bellow the knees. Vendors around the are will sell you covers, but if you are prepared, this won't be a problem.

When you visit Piazza Navona, be sure to go inside the Pantheon. This building was errected during the time of Imperial Rome, (before the Roman empire became Christian) as a temple to the Roman gods. When Rome converted to Christianity, the statuary of Roman gods were cast out and replaced with early Christian Saints. The most stunning part of the Pantheon is the roof. It is a free standing dome with a large opening at the top or oculus. Absolutely amazing.

Trevi Fountain, and the Vittorio Emmanuel Monument are both best seen at night.

The Colliseum must be seen. Be sure to bring Euro's to this. Admission was like 15 Euro per person last year and they wouldn't take credit cards.

Admission to the Vatican Museum (Sistine Chapel) was in the same range, but I believe they accepted dollars as well as Euro.

ATM's remain the best way for American travellers to exchange money in Europe. Plus European ATM's don't charge nasty service fees like the American ones.

We just returned Sunday and on our trip we just did 1 day precruise in Rome. We landed at 10:10am and made it to the hotel just before 11:30. Our room was ready so we just freshened up and grabbed a taxi at the hotel and asked him to take us into town. We were at the Crowne Plaza St Peters so it was a bit away from the major attractions.

Just the person I need to talk to! We are doing a post-cruise stay at Crowne Plaza Hotel on 10/17 after our Galaxy cruise. One of our fellow cruisers has organized a private guided Vatican tour (through the Vatican) and we have booked the Crowne Plaza for that night (E135.00). We will be flying home the next morning.

However, I am finding out that it is not convenient to anything. We were planning to get off the ship, take our transfer to the hotel, drop off our luggage, and get to the Vatican for our 11:30 tour. I understand that it is not walkable to the Vatican. The shuttle bus doesn't do a drop off to St. Peter's Sq. til noontime so that won't work for us. I know we can take a taxi but the hotel said it would be 10/15 euros (one way)! Seems awfully expensive to drive us 2 miles. I am unsure about taking a bus.

I really didn't want the hassle of dealing w/ taxis, busses, etc. after being on a 10 day cruise. We wanted to be able to walk around the Vatican area, do some additional sightseeing, go back to the hotel & put our feet up for a few minutes, then find someplace to have dinner. There are 3 other couples from the cruise staying there also. They are not participating in the Vatican tour so my DH & I will be on our own.

Having just been there, can you give me your opinion as to whether we should find something closer to the Vatican that is walkable everywhere or will this be a doable place for us? I also booked here because they offered a shuttle to the airport. I now understand that it may be difficult getting on the shuttle. So that would mean getting a taxi. More money. Probably now over E200. for the hotel w/ 2 taxis to Vatican & taxi to airport. One of the other couples is leaving real early for their flight. Don't know about the others yet.

Also, did you eat at any nice restaurants in that area you could recommend? I heard the food was horrible at Crowne Plaza & don't eat there. Many people said this.

What other sights should we see in the Vatican area? We will be taking a 3 hr. tour of Vatican, Sistine Chapel & gardens. Does not include St. Peter's.

Sorry to be so lengthy but I would like to resolve this issue soon.

Thanks so much.

Mary

Staying by St.P's is not convenient to the rest of Rome as far as sightseeing/walking goes IMHO,but if you are just going for the Vatican tour you will be fine with the hotel choice.If you do not want to walk the 2 miles to the Vatican,and there is no shuttle than 4 of you can share the cost of the taxi which will not be to bad and save you the walk then you can stroll back to the hotel.If you want to go into the city center of Rome you can use the metro.A lot of the sights are walkable from one to the other(ie,Trevi Fountain,Spanish Steps) in Rome and then you could take a cab back to the hotel.

I would not eat at any hotel in Rome when there are so many good resto's to eat.I am sure if you stya by the hotel you will find some good places to eat..the menu's are posted in front so you can check them out.

One word of caution...if you are going to do any shopping for religious item's do NOT buy them outside of the Vatican in the surrounding shops..buy them at the Vatican stores.You will pay less and the quality will be much better.Enjoy your stay,and have a nice cruise.

Hi Cberge,

Thanks for your suggestions. No, we are not going to be doing any sightseeing other than the Vatican (& surrounding area). Mainly doing the Vatican Tour. I heard there was a nice shopping area along one of the side streets near the Vatican. Don't know the name though. Any help?

We were told by a lot of different people, and also by the Crowne Plaza, that it is not walkable to the Vatican because there are no sidewalks. We will also not be sharing a taxi, unless we meet someone at the hotel that would be going to the Vatican the same time as us. So it would only be my DH and myself taking a cab.

Thanks, again, for the tip on religious items. I was planning to buy some rosary beads for my grandson who will be making his 1st Communion next year. Perhaps some other stuff.

We will be arriving in Rome the day b4 our cruise & will be staying at Hotel Italia so we can do our sightseeing on that side of the city. Want to visit Colloseum definitely. Perhaps get on the hop on bus & get the overview of the city.

Thanks again.

Mary

Hi Mary,

We are "following" you, and boarding Galaxy for her 10/17 Transatlantic, immediately after your Med trip.

"We wanted to be able to walk around the Vatican area, do some additional sightseeing, go back to the hotel & put our feet up for a few minutes, then find someplace to have dinner."

That's what you wrote in your post. Sounds like a perfect plan to me. And IMHO, the Crowne Plaza is the wrench in that plan.

I think that your Vatican tour is going to be exciting, thrilling, stimulating, and completely and wonderfully overwhelming and exhausting. As thoroughly relaxed as I hope you'll be after all the pampering you'll get on the Galaxy, I think it's perfectly reasonable to have every intention of putting your feet up after immersing yourself for 3 hours of non-stop visual stimulation Vatican-style. Going back to the Crowne Plaza for a rest, and (Heavens forbid!) going to their restaurant for dinner sounds like....well, it doesn't sound like the way to spend your one night in Rome, or your last night of an incredible vacation.

My fellow travelers on our thread already know that I have pretty strong opinions about staying on the outskirts of a city like Rome. To me, it's like listening to the symphony on the AM radio in your car....just not quite the same as sitting in the middle of the audience at the live performance. Do yourself a favor and book yourself a room at Residenza Canali.....(www.residenzacanali.com) ....it's a great operation and a fantastic location...or someplace in that general vicinity. Have an incredible tour at The Vatican and St. Peter's, a nice stroll (10-15 minutes) back to your hotel, relax for a while, wander over to Piazza Navona for some people-watching and a glass of wine or a gelato, then head to any one of the many incredibly good restaurants in the area (yes, I have opinions on those too!) and finish your evening with a visit to the Pantheon lit up at night. Life is good! Viva Roma!

For Ventura43:

I am glad to hear that you like the Intercontinental and that it is convenient to walk to many sites. I really need a hotel that is large enough to have English speaking staff as I have a medical condition that if I were to have a problem, the last thing I need is a communication problem. I remember several years ago when my mother was on a Globus tour in Italy and got horrible food poisoning and was unable to summon help due to the language barrier!

Can you tell me if there any grocery markets within walking distance of the Intercontinental where we could get some soft drinks,juice,snacks for our room?

Thanks

For Fab2b50...

"Can you tell me if there any grocery markets within walking distance of the Intercontinental where we could get some soft drinks,juice,snacks for our room?"

There is side street to the right as you come out the Int.'s door and I think there is a small store on the street.If not there is one right at the bottom of the Spanish Steps...just ask at the front desk and they will direct you.FYI..most oif the good hotels in Rome have an English speaking staff so not to worry.

Hi Cberge,

Thanks for your suggestions. No, we are not going to be doing any sightseeing other than the Vatican (& surrounding area). Mainly doing the Vatican Tour. I heard there was a nice shopping area along one of the side streets near the Vatican. Don't know the name though. Any help?

We were told by a lot of different people, and also by the Crowne Plaza, that it is not walkable to the Vatican because there are no sidewalks. We will also not be sharing a taxi, unless we meet someone at the hotel that would be going to the Vatican the same time as us. So it would only be my DH and myself taking a cab.

Thanks, again, for the tip on religious items. I was planning to buy some rosary beads for my grandson who will be making his 1st Communion next year. Perhaps some other stuff.

We will be arriving in Rome the day b4 our cruise & will be staying at Hotel Italia so we can do our sightseeing on that side of the city. Want to visit Colloseum definitely. Perhaps get on the hop on bus & get the overview of the city.

Thanks again.

Mary

You will just fine at the CP for your Vatican journey.You can always ask at the front desk what bus runs there,and take a cab back if you are tired. I am sure thye will be glad to help,and have had the question asked many times.

Buy your religious items in the Vatican store and you will be fine. You can of course check out the stores as you will see them as you walk up to the Vatican.there are also places to eat along there as well.It is a busy area,and you will find plenty to see just walking around.

Enjoy your precruise stay in Rome.If you start at the end of vis del Corso at the "Wedding Cake"(Victor Emmanual monument)and walk toward the Colliseum(the street is via del Fori Imperial)there are many ruins to stop and see along the way that have just been uncovered in the past few years more so than before.It is not a long walk.If you do the h/o bus do be careful of anything you carry..just an FYI.If you want to have a nice meal as well try one of the places on the P. Navona( I like them all).Have a wonderul trip.

I spent a week last year in Rome and headed back again!! Paris has always been my favorite,but Rome is stealing me away..:)

GM everyone,

Thanks so much for all your helpful suggestions about our last night in Rome! You are the best! I will digest what you have told me about & try to make an "informed decision". My DH & I will be celebrating our 41st wedding anniversary on the 17th! What a great way to end a wonderful cruise!

Palms2Pines2Sea: Thanks for your input. Wine is definitely the way I'll go instead of Gelato. LOL. I'll check your hotel out also.

If anyone wants to do the private Vatican tour w/ us on 10/17 there is plenty of room. Starts at 11:30 am. I'll furnish the details.

Have a great weekend! Thanks again.

Mary

GM everyone,

Thanks so much for all your helpful suggestions about our last night in Rome! You are the best! I will digest what you have told me about & try to make an "informed decision". My DH & I will be celebrating our 41st wedding anniversary on the 17th! What a great way to end a wonderful cruise!

Palms2Pines2Sea: Thanks for your input. Wine is definitely the way I'll go instead of Gelato. LOL. I'll check your hotel out also.

If anyone wants to do the private Vatican tour w/ us on 10/17 there is plenty of room. Starts at 11:30 am. I'll furnish the details.

Have a great weekend! Thanks again.

Mary

Mary, since your tour does not include St. Peters I hope you are planning to take the time to see the basilica. It is breathtaking. Take the elevator to the roof for an amazing vista of the rooftops of Rome.

No matter where you stay I would plan on taking a taxi to the vatican. You're going to do plenty of walking while you're there, so there's no reason to wear out your legs and feet just getting there. If the tour begins at the vatican museum, which I suspect it does, this is not near St. Peter's square. Be sure to find out where you have to go to meet the guide. If you want to buy religious articles there are several gift shops in the vatican, not to mention the ones in the surrounding neighborhood. If a shopkeeper tries to tell you the items have been blessed by the pope, they are lying to you. The vatican will not bless any items prior to sale.

I've never found Rome taxis to be overly expensive and well worth the convenience. After all, how much money have you just spent on this cruise? What's a few taxi fares? It's your anniversary. Live it up!

Archived