Porto to Leixoes

Leixoes is in Porto suburb of Matosinhos. Metro is fastest way to get to center of Porto (Blue Line A). Closest metro station is "Sr. de Matosinhos" (over the bridge from port). For metro map see http://www.metrodoporto.pt/en/ Metro Porto is cashless; one need to buy Andante card in a vending machine and put the required amount of fares on it. Then the card is validated in a yellow machine on the platform. Ticket inspections are frequent & fines steep.

Touristy Douro riverfront is around Dom Luis I bridge (not too far from Sao Bento station). Across the bridge are the major port houses (Sandeman, Taylor, Kopke, etc) & river cruises (1 hr, 10 euro). Some cruises include tasting ticket. Also if get off at Bolhao station you can walk along major Rua de Sta Catarina shopping street to river. Somewhat famous Majestic cafe is located on that street..

Thanks HKTO for all the valuable information. I will definitely visit the area you suggested. The port tasting is a must and I have read about the Majestic Cafe so have also added it to the list. Mary

Archived