Dublin Questions?

Hi we are doing a 12 night BI in sept. on carnival and they have extended the time in Dublin until 10:00 p.m. so we are wondering if we should plan to do a tour of wicklow or just stay in dublin and drink up (figuratively and literally) the city . I don't want to miss out on the city but don't want to feel we missed out on the countryside either.

Hi,

At what time will the tour to Wicklow leave you back in Dublin? If you are not someone who is interested in visiting museums and galleries then, assuming you are back in the city by 5pm, this option will allow you to see something of the beautiful Irish countryside - Wicklow is known as the garden of Ireland -while still having a few hours to go on a mini pub crawl before returning to the ship. A taxi from the city centre to the cruise terminal will take around ten minutes.

Dermot

Hi,

At what time will the tour to Wicklow leave you back in Dublin? If you are not someone who is interested in visiting museums and galleries then, assuming you are back in the city by 5pm, this option will allow you to see something of the beautiful Irish countryside - Wicklow is known as the garden of Ireland -while still having a few hours to go on a mini pub crawl before returning to the ship. A taxi from the city centre to the cruise terminal will take around ten minutes.

Dermot

Dermot

Thanks so much for your post. We are doing a BI cruise on Princess and had plan on just spending the day in Dublin, visiting pubs and shopping. After hearing how beautiful Wicklow is, I went to Princess's shore excursion list and found one that includes both! I think this is what we will do now.

Mel

Hi,

Dermot

Hi Dermot,

Greetings from Australia!!

We will be visiting Dublin on 8th July 2013, on a cruise ship, and it will be our first visit. As you can imagine, we are really looking forward to it.

DH is a lover of Guinness, so I wonder how much we will get to see, apart from the wonderful pubs - lol!!!

On a serious note, we will only have one day and I am hoping you can make some suggestions on how to best maximise our time.

We prefer not to take ships tours, we are happy to go on our own, we love to walk, and we are fit enough to cram in as much as possible!!

There is nothing like a local's knowledge and input.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond and make suggestions.

Best wishes

Nicki and Nigel

Hi Dermot,

Greetings from Australia!!

We will be visiting Dublin on 8th July 2013, on a cruise ship, and it will be our first visit. As you can imagine, we are really looking forward to it.

DH is a lover of Guinness, so I wonder how much we will get to see, apart from the wonderful pubs - lol!!!

On a serious note, we will only have one day and I am hoping you can make some suggestions on how to best maximise our time.

We prefer not to take ships tours, we are happy to go on our own, we love to walk, and we are fit enough to cram in as much as possible!!

There is nothing like a local's knowledge and input.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond and make suggestions.

Best wishes

Nicki and Nigel

I hope you don't mind input from a "non-local", but having been to Dublin for a week a couple of years ago and returning in August - if you want to see this great city on your own time - take the Hop On Hop Off Bus tour. You will be able to tour the Guinness and Jameson Distillery's, the Gaol (jail), beautiful churches, Ryan's Pub, Trinity College (I could go on) and as you travel from one stop to the other, the bus drivers not only provide you with descriptions of what you are seeing, but they keep you entertained with their wonderful Irish sense of humor. I am guessing you will love Dublin and the fantastic Irish people.

B. Cole ;)

I hope you don't mind input from a "non-local", but having been to Dublin for a week a couple of years ago and returning in August - if you want to see this great city on your own time - take the Hop On Hop Off Bus tour. You will be able to tour the Guinness and Jameson Distillery's, the Gaol (jail), beautiful churches, Ryan's Pub, Trinity College (I could go on) and as you travel from one stop to the other, the bus drivers not only provide you with descriptions of what you are seeing, but they keep you entertained with their wonderful Irish sense of humor. I am guessing you will love Dublin and the fantastic Irish people.

B. Cole ;)

Hi,

Of course I don't mind your input!! Thank you for taking the time.

The more I read about the Hop On Hop Off, the more it appeals. As much as we like to walk, when you are only in a city for a day, and sometimes even less, it pays to cram in as much as you can, so the buses are wonderful. We have used them in various parts of the world!

Cruising is wonderful, but the downside is that you never have enough time to explore what is on offer! At least it whets the appetitie.

You are right about the Irish and their wonderful senses of humour!

DH loves Guinness, so I know Dublin is going to be a fun stop for him! Aussie and the Irish get on so well - wonder if it has anything to do with their love of beer??????

Thanks again for your input.

We are also visiting Cork and Greenock in Scotland, so I guess we will try and see Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Nicki

Hi Nicki and Nigel,

To get in a relaxed mood for your visit, you can listen to the Dublin Saunter, sung by Noel Purcell.

When you disembark in Dublin port take either the cruise company's shuttle bus or a taxi to Trinity College. A taxi should cost around €10-12. From outside the college you can take the HoHo bus tour or else explore the city by yourself. Dublin city centre, where most of the tourist sights are located, is compact. The National Museum, National Gallery and St Stephen's Green park are within ten minutes walking distance of Trinity College. The HoHo bus will bring you to the Guinness Storehouse visitor centre and after that it goes to the Phoenix Park. A pint of Guinness in the Gravity bar is included in the cost of admission to the Storehouse.

There are lots of famous Dublin pubs in the streets that adjoin Grafton Street where your husband can indulge further his taste for Guinness. Enjoy your visit to Dublin.

Dermot

Hi Nicki and Nigel,

To get in a relaxed mood for your visit, you can listen to the Dublin Saunter, sung by Noel Purcell.

When you disembark in Dublin port take either the cruise company's shuttle bus or a taxi to Trinity College. A taxi should cost around €10-12. From outside the college you can take the HoHo bus tour or else explore the city by yourself. Dublin city centre, where most of the tourist sights are located, is compact. The National Museum, National Gallery and St Stephen's Green park are within ten minutes walking distance of Trinity College. The HoHo bus will bring you to the Guinness Storehouse visitor centre and after that it goes to the Phoenix Park. A pint of Guinness in the Gravity bar is included in the cost of admission to the Storehouse.

There are lots of famous Dublin pubs in the streets that adjoin Grafton Street where your husband can indulge further his taste for Guinness. Enjoy your visit to Dublin.

Dermot

Hi Dermot, We will be in your city Aug 9 on the Infinity (noon to 10pm) and I have made notes from your previous posts--they have been very helpful. I would like to know how far the Kilmainham Gaol is from the Trinity College area? And do you advise buying the one day Dublin Pass to save time in lines? I think, with the exception of the Trinity tour, all the entry fees for the sights we want to see are included with it. We do want to visit the Guinness Storehouse and Jameson Distillery. Overall, how many miles are we looking at here:)..If we don't purchase the one day pass is it a good idea to purchase the tour tickets on line? And if we decide there would be too much walking (we are not young) is it wise to get the HoHo pass?

You have probably answered these questions before and if so, sorry for the repeat.

Carolyn

Hi Dermot, We will be in your city Aug 9 on the Infinity (noon to 10pm) and I have made notes from your previous posts--they have been very helpful. I would like to know how far the Kilmainham Gaol is from the Trinity College area? And do you advise buying the one day Dublin Pass to save time in lines? I think, with the exception of the Trinity tour, all the entry fees for the sights we want to see are included with it. We do want to visit the Guinness Storehouse and Jameson Distillery. Overall, how many miles are we looking at here:)..If we don't purchase the one day pass is it a good idea to purchase the tour tickets on line? And if we decide there would be too much walking (we are not young) is it wise to get the HoHo pass?

You have probably answered these questions before and if so, sorry for the repeat.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

The best option to visit the three sites you mention, Guinness Storehouse, Kilmainham Gaol and Old Jameson Distillery, is to take the HoHo bus which calls at them in that order. Kilmainham is three miles from Trinity College and it takes me 40-45 minutes to do the walk. The Storehouse and Distillery are mid-distance between the two locations on different sides of the river Liffey.

Please note the closing times of the three locations. The last admission to the Gaol is at 5pm, the last Distillery tour starts at 5.15pm and the last admission to the Guinness Storehouse is at 7pm. Visiting all three sites would, I feel, make for a very full day and would not allow much time to see the city centre or relax over a meal and a few drinks. Are you, perhaps, trying to fit too much into the time at your disposal? Only you can decide that.

As you would not have time to visit any of the other sites that are included in the Dublin Pass, I do not think it confers much benefit other then having an admission ticket for Kilmainham Gaol. Tickets for the HoHo bus, Storehouse and Old Distillery can all be booked online with discounts. I will try and find out how long the queue for admission to Kilmainham Gaol is likely to be on a Friday afternoon in August and revert.

Dermot

Hi Carolyn,

The best option to visit the three sites you mention, Guinness Storehouse, Kilmainham Gaol and Old Jameson Distillery, is to take the HoHo bus which calls at them in that order. Kilmainham is three miles from Trinity College and it takes me 40-45 minutes to do the walk. The Storehouse and Distillery are mid-distance between the two locations on different sides of the river Liffey.

Please note the closing times of the three locations. The last admission to the Gaol is at 5pm, the last Distillery tour starts at 5.15pm and the last admission to the Guinness Storehouse is at 7pm. Visiting all three sites would, I feel, make for a very full day and would not allow much time to see the city centre or relax over a meal and a few drinks. Are you, perhaps, trying to fit too much into the time at your disposal? Only you can decide that.

As you would not have time to visit any of the other sites that are included in the Dublin Pass, I do not think it confers much benefit other then having an admission ticket for Kilmainham Gaol. Tickets for the HoHo bus, Storehouse and Old Distillery can all be booked online with discounts. I will try and find out how long the queue for admission to Kilmainham Gaol is likely to be on a Friday afternoon in August and revert.

Dermot

I think you may be right about trying to do too much..It is a shame that we don't dock until noon! My hope is to do a student tour at Trinity College and then move on to Dublin Castle, St Patrick's Cathedral and Christ Church for sure. Depending on what you find out about the line at the Gaol, we will decide between that site and Jameson. I think there are 2 ships in town that day so am worried about the lines. That's why I thought the one day pass might be a consideration b/c all those sites (except Trinity College) are included. Appreciate your input. Carolyn

B. Cole ;)

Good info to file away for next cruise!

Hi Dermot,

I hope you don't mind, I jump into the discussion here. :)

I do get a lot of information from your posts. Thank you for giving your time sharing with us.

I am living in Dublin too, but we are new comers from europe mainland. :p

so..

Below,

I just try to give an idea where is what. Eeven the map scale isn't the real one, at least you can estimate of how far from each other locations.

I can't find better map other than this one. Please click below image to get more details on the map. To follow the information of stops, please click this link: Love Ireland

521918f2a7.jpg

The Dublin Port itself is close to Upper Sherif Street or National Convention Centre. (the right side on the map).

cruisingforsix: yesterday we took a Full Day Tour to Glendalough, Kilkenny & Wicklow Gap with Collins, it started 9.00 am got pick up outside Trinity College and ended around 17.00 pm, stepped out the bus not far from Trinity College too. The tour guide was great, Glendalough and Wicklow are amazing. It costs 30 eur pp and you can book online.

cknic: From the map, Trinity College is stop 2 and Kilmainham Gaol is stop 16.

Hope this help somehow.

:)

Elsa

Hi Carolyn,

I called into Kilmainham Gaol today to find out how easy, or difficult, it would be to get a place on one of the tours on a Friday afternoon in August. The prospect does not appear that promising, I am afraid. Tours can only be booked on the day by going to the Gaol in person. As it states on their website, 'Tickets are sold on a first come first served basis and cannot be booked in advance'.

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/dublin/kilmainhamgaol/

The staff member at reception said your best chance would be to arrive early, before midday at the latest. When I explained this was impossible due to your arrival time in Dublin, she could only suggest you phone the Gaol as soon as the ship berths to find out if there were any places still available. But even if there were, there is no guarantee that by the time you reached Kilmainham they had not been filled. The phone number of Kilmainham Gaol is: 00 3531 4535984. The Dublin Pass does not confer any priority entrance.

There is no problem visiting the Guinness Storehouse as people go round the centre on their own. The Old Jameson Distillery is also organised into tours which, especially in August, should best be booked in advance. If you have the Dublin Pass this does not appear possible. The Pass website states, 'Dublin Pass holders must queue for the next available tour.' If you intend to visit the Old Jameson Distillery, I would advise you to book your tickets, and reserve a specific time slot, via their website.

http://www.tours.jamesonwhiskey.com/Home/The-Old-Jameson-Distillery-Dublin.aspx

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Dermot

Edited by Mairnealach

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful information with us. My husband and I will be on the same August Infinity cruise with Carolyn. I have already booked our 3:00 Trinity tour. That is going to limit activities with 5:00 last tours. I appreciate having the times so I can plan carefully before and after the Trinity tour. We are planning to use the HOHO to move more quickly than walking though that is what I would prefer.

Hi Carolyn,

I called into Kilmainham Gaol today to find out how easy, or difficult, it would be to get a place on one of the tours on a Friday afternoon in August. The prospect does not appear that promising, I am afraid. Tours can only be booked on the day by going to the Gaol in person. As it states on their website, 'Tickets are sold on a first come first served basis and cannot be booked in advance'.

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/dublin/kilmainhamgaol/

The staff member at reception said your best chance would be to arrive early, before midday at the latest. When I explained this was impossible due to your arrival time in Dublin, she could only suggest you phone the Gaol as soon as the ship berths to find out if there were any places still available. But even if there were, there is no guarantee that by the time you reached Kilmainham they had not been filled. The phone number of Kilmainham Gaol is: 00 3531 4535984. The Dublin Pass does not confer any priority entrance.

There is no problem visiting the Guinness Storehouse as people go round the centre on their own. The Old Jameson Distillery is also organised into tours which, especially in August, should best be booked in advance. If you have the Dublin Pass this does not appear possible. The Pass website states, 'Dublin Pass holders must queue for the next available tour.' If you intend to visit the Old Jameson Distillery, I would advise you to book your tickets, and reserve a specific time slot, via their website.

http://www.tours.jamesonwhiskey.com/Home/The-Old-Jameson-Distillery-Dublin.aspx

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Dermot

Thank you Dermot and to Elsa for all your information. Elsa, your map was a big help.

Dermot, I think your extra effort in calling the Gaol has definitely spared us some stress and grief in trying to see too much. The timing and distance eliminated that site. By the time we see all we want to see in the Trinity College area and go on to Jameson Distillery (with prebooked tickets) I think we will be done:)..Again, I really appreciate all your input. Thank heavens for Cruise Critic friends.

Carolyn

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful information with us. My husband and I will be on the same August Infinity cruise with Carolyn. I have already booked our 3:00 Trinity tour. That is going to limit activities with 5:00 last tours. I appreciate having the times so I can plan carefully before and after the Trinity tour. We are planning to use the HOHO to move more quickly than walking though that is what I would prefer.

Hi, Aren't the CC people great!! Just wondering who you booked your Trinity tour with? From what I read, there are no reservations/bookings--just join the queue. Thanks Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dermot - I've been reading the posts and Thanking you in advance for all the wonderful information. There is one thing, I would like to visit the Celtic Whiskey shop, 27-28 Dawson St, Dublin. How hard is it to find the shop or at least get to it? Could I use the Hop On - Hope Off ? Thank you for all the help and the wonderful information.

Hello Dermot - I've been reading the posts and Thanking you in advance for all the wonderful information. There is one thing, I would like to visit the Celtic Whiskey shop, 27-28 Dawson St, Dublin. How hard is it to find the shop or at least get to it? Could I use the Hop On - Hope Off ? Thank you for all the help and the wonderful information.

Hi,

The Celtic Whiskey Shop is located within an eight minute walk of the main entrance to Trinity College where most cruisers pick up the HoHo bus. You can either walk there directly or take the HoHo bus and get off at stop 7, St. Stephen's Green.

http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/cityTourStop7.aspx

Dawson Street runs from the Trinity College library entrance, which is just around the corner from the main entrance, to St. Stephen's Green. The whiskey shop is situated at the St. Stephen's Green end of Dawson Street, across the road from the Mansion House, the official residence of the city's Lord Mayor. The HoHo bus goes down Dawson Street, and passes the shop, but the nearest stop is St. Stephen's Green. The bus driver will direct you where to go if you need assistance.

My normal Christmas present for my brother-in-law is a bottle of 12 year old Jameson Irish whiskey from the Celtic Whiskey Shop. As well as Irish whiskey, they also have a decent selection of Scotch whisky, Cognac and Armagnac.

Dermot

Hi,

The Celtic Whiskey Shop is located within an eight minute walk of the main entrance to Trinity College where most cruisers pick up the HoHo bus. You can either walk there directly or take the HoHo bus and get off at stop 7, St. Stephen's Green.

http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/cityTourStop7.aspx

Dawson Street runs from the Trinity College library entrance, which is just around the corner from the main entrance, to St. Stephen's Green. The whiskey shop is situated at the St. Stephen's Green end of Dawson Street, across the road from the Mansion House, the official residence of the city's Lord Mayor. The HoHo bus goes down Dawson Street, and passes the shop, but the nearest stop is St. Stephen's Green. The bus driver will direct you where to go if you need assistance.

My normal Christmas present for my brother-in-law is a bottle of 12 year old Jameson Irish whiskey from the Celtic Whiskey Shop. As well as Irish whiskey, they also have a decent selection of Scotch whisky, Cognac and Armagnac.

Dermot

Hi Dermot, This shop looks very interesting! How do the prices compare to those at the Distillery? And do you recommend the restaurant there? I took your advice and have booked the 4pm Jameson tour and from there we will go on to Guinness..Hope we can find our way back to the ship..ha!

Carolyn

Hi Dermot, This shop looks very interesting! How do the prices compare to those at the Distillery? And do you recommend the restaurant there? I took your advice and have booked the 4pm Jameson tour and from there we will go on to Guinness..Hope we can find our way back to the ship..ha!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

I am not a whiskey drinker and my knowledge of prices is limited to buying a bottle as a Christmas or birthday present. But I would expect prices to be similar at the Celtic Whiskey shop and the Old Distillery. Supermarkets discount the price of basic quality Irish whiskey as a loss leader, especially at Christmas. However, in my experience, the price of the good stuff is always the same wherever I look in Dublin.

I have never eaten in the Old Distillery restaurant, nor do I know anyone who has, so unfortunately I cannot help you there. Reviews on TripAdvisor are mixed as is often the case.

Dermot

Hi Carolyn,

I am not a whiskey drinker and my knowledge of prices is limited to buying a bottle as a Christmas or birthday present. But I would expect prices to be similar at the Celtic Whiskey shop and the Old Distillery. Supermarkets discount the price of basic quality Irish whiskey as a loss leader, especially at Christmas. However, in my experience, the price of the good stuff is always the same wherever I look in Dublin.

I have never eaten in the Old Distillery restaurant, nor do I know anyone who has, so unfortunately I cannot help you there. Reviews on TripAdvisor are mixed as is often the case.

Dermot

Thanks Dermot. Are there pubs/restaurants along the way between Christ Church area and the Distillery?