Biking around Kilauea

CruzinQs

I'm not really sure what you mean by "biking Kilauea." If you mean bicycling around its summit caldera (clockwise from the park entrance - going down past Thurston Lava tube, then east towards Halemaumau, up to the Jaggar Museum/Hawaii Volcano Observatory, then back to the HVNP Visitor Center) it's certainly doable. If you're prone to asthma it might not be recommended because the prevaling trade winds blow the sulfur fumes across the road near Halemaumau - when you're in a car you can roll up the windows. Also, the road (as best I recall) isn't really designed with wide bike lanes or shoulders. I'd guess it's about ten miles total.

With these caveats it would nevertheless be interesting. It could be raining and very misty near the park entrance and through the remarkable rainforests near Thurston Lava tube, then within a mile or so you'd be in the sun and in very dry lava landscape. The tranisition zones between the rainforest and the kau desert is memorable.

Thank you for your reply. We booked ourselves on an NCL tour "Biking Kilauea". The description says its about 9 miles around the rim but doesn't say anything about recommended clothing. We didn't know what to expect for weather. Are the fumes really bad?

There is a portion of the road, in the mile or so past the Jaggar Museum (heading counterclockwise) that is directly downwind from Halemaumau and some fumaroles surrounding it. On most days you'll notice a distinct sulfur odor, and sometimes - depending on weather, current gas discharge etc - the odor has a nearly metallic taste. Actually, I don't mind it... it reminds you where you are. But there are warning signs along the road that inform drivers to roll up the car windows if occupants have respiratory problems. If you're in reasonable health the gas poses little problem. You'll probably be in slightly more distress from the uphill portion of the trip... you're at 4,000 feet, after all. But again, if you're in reasonable health the only threat is a bit of huffing and puffing. (and you can justify a big dinner later!)

I think it's a fine way of getting to know the summit area. If you stop along the way (especially the Kilauea Iki trail - a fave of mine) you'll come away with a great appreciation of the area. Just bring along some light layers and expect to be both rained upon and also cycle in the blazing sun.

Archived