Love Celebrity but will it last?

NEFoodies

Was on the Celebrity Silhouette from April 7th until April 14th (impressive live review Chris). My DH and I love the Celebrity line. We have sailed on the Zenith and Constellation (both ships now retired from the line), the Summit (multiple times), the Solstice and now the Silhouette. Before marrying, I tried Norwegian and Carnival and once experiencing Celebrity there was simply no going back. We LOVE the food, the decor (both those ships that have been Solsticized and those that have not), and most importantly the CREW. Celebrity is doing something very right in hiring and maintaining a very competent, seemingly content and very solicitous staff. We tend to go with Concierge class predominately because we like the midship positions. We enjoy relaxing on our Veranda, don't necessarily feel like we must get off of the ship while in port and use the Solarium or Thalasotherapy pool often. We did the premium drink package this last cruise and loved the convenience. We took advantage of all the specialty dining options and loved them all.

So what is the issue you may ask. Well, it seems from both experience on this ship and discussion with Celebrity's Miami office upon return home, Celebrity intends to change the "vibe" of the ship to something edgier and trendier than it has been in the past. We are in our 40's and fully appreciate 80's rock but I don't know if it belongs in the Grand Foyer. At least four of the 7 nights on board there was very LOUD music being played in the Grand Foyer in the evening. This rendered the Library, Card Room, the I-Lounge, the Hideaway, Cafe al Bacio, etc. all uninhabitable during that time. DH and I are all for appealing to a wider audience to keep the brand healthy but why not use the outdoor pool area, the sky lounge and Quasar for this (note...these areas were also used but clearly not exclusively).

When we spoke with the main office they indicated that they were responding to the requests of past guests. Perhaps we are alone in our opinion here. Would love to hear your thoughts. We have made some wonderful friends on Celebrity and see it as our cruise line. However, if it is really trying to reach a different audience perhaps we need to look around. Would welcome suggestions about that as well.

DH and I did book a Pacific Coast cruise on the Century in 2014 so we will give it another go but...we'll see.

Archived