Recommend your camera bag

We just upgraded to a Canon 5D mark III! Our walk around lens will be the 24-105. We plan on renting 2 lenses for our upcoming Alaska trip - a 100-400 and probably a wide angle lens.

Dh currently has an old Tamarac messenger bag, which I don't like. I also have a Crumpler messenger bag, which will not be enough with the added lenses.

What bag would you suggest?

I know this is a highly subjective question, but there are so any choices, I'm not sure where to start!

One thing is hat it can't be overwhelming in size since I'm only 5'2".

Backpack or sling - not sure which one would suit us better.

If it could carry a few other items, ie snack or a water bottle, that would be a plus r we have two little girls.

Thanks!

Eventually you may realize that you almost need as many bags as you do cameras and lenses! I have a ridiculous number of bags, that allow me to pick and choose the right size bag for my shooting needs on any given day, and larger bags as carryalls for travel. I have a Kata backpack which is a primary gear hauler that can hold 2 bodies and up to 20 lenses; a Tenba shoulder bag which can handle a camera and up to 5 lenses, or mirrorless body and up to 10 lenses; a Think Tank Retrospective bag for handling two superlong birding lenses side by side for quick swaps; a Tamrac compact bag for my mirrorless camera and two additional lenses; a video camera bag that I can use for my DSLR with attached lens, or mirrorless camera and two lenses; and a Spider Black Widow belt holster for carrying my mirrorless camera on my hip when also carrying my DSLR and wanting to switch between the two. I also have a soft-pouch bag that I can scrunch down into the size of a men's wallet, which I can keep in a pocket when traveling with just the camera and use as an emergency waterproof bag for my camera, wallet, and other things.

I typically use my crumpled $7m home as my main camera bag. I've carried as much as two bodies, and three lenses in it along with chargers and my backup HDD. When traveling I typically take either my 7d or 5d3 with 2-3 lenses. My last trip to Las Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas, I took my 5d3, 24-105 f4L and 70-200 f2.8L is, and 580ex. Its easy to reconfigure and fits easily in an over head compartment or under the seat on the plane. It also has small straps on the side that I use to attach lowepro lens cases when I need more storage...

I've been looking at various Kata backpacks... I like the Revolver 8 and the KT DL-DR-467. One of these will probably be my next travel camera backpacks. The have camera storage and a decent amount of space for jackets, etc.

I suppose I can say I am a foremost expert at bags, if for the only reason that I have purchased a dozen or so bags over the years without finding the ultimate bag. Or perhaps it is more accurate to say I am an expert at bags that do not work.

... in search of that elusive perfect bag.

The closest idea of the perfect bag for cruises and vacations, and my current bag - is the Think Tank Speed Freak. Amazingly, I have used this bag on 4 cruises so far.

It is a shoulder bag/but also a waist bag, in that the bag has a deployable belt to help support the bag. When using both shoulder and belt, the bag becomes comfortable enough to lug around all day.

Here is a video I did about my impressions of the bag. I can get my DSLR with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 (or my former favorite 18-200mm lens) attached, plus a 70-300mm lens (or even a 80-200mm f/2.8), a speedlight, a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, and Nikon 10-5mm f/2.8 fisheye. I don't carry cables or chargers in the bag - they stay in the stateroom. No need to carry those around all day.

But lest you think it ends there, here is a second video I did of another bag I am considering going to:

This bag is a non-traditional photo bag, and is actually a general purpose sling bag that many use as a range bag. I can get a DSLR with lens attached in the bag, and a second lens, along with a third telephoto lens if I want to use the water bottle pocket.

Any, this is a compact bag and is a very comfortable bag to carry as well.

At least this should give you a couple ideas.

There is no perfect camera bags. I know because I have several dozen. I have camera bags like most women have purses (which I don't really have). Sometimes backpacks are good because the weight is balanced, sometimes a shoulder bag works but for be I prefer light shoulder bags or to only use them carry in and out of cars but not for times when I am walking a lot. Waist packs like the one mentioned above and demoed in the video are useful too.

Two things I would like to point out about the video, that blue cord on the Think Tank bag is meant to attach the pocket rocket that holds the memory cards, keeps them from falling out (I had a memory card wallet fall out of my pocket last year and lost 2 days of photos), the other thing is I would't keep passports in an outside pocket like that, I would keep them deeper inside the bag.

Think Tank makes great bags, I have several, from small ones to rollers.

Two things I would like to point out about the video, that blue cord on the Think Tank bag is meant to attach the pocket rocket that holds the memory cards, keeps them from falling out (I had a memory card wallet fall out of my pocket last year and lost 2 days of photos), the other thing is I would't keep passports in an outside pocket like that, I would keep them deeper inside the bag.

Yes, the blue strap was originally hooked to a Pocket Rocket, but I am in the habit of moving the Pocket Rocket from bag to bag (I also take a bag with my Nikon 1 system that is packed inside of my carry-on, so I often put the pocket rocket in my pants pocket).

Also, if I have to use the "rain coat" I attach it to the blue strap after use, and let it hang out of the pocket to dry (although I zip the pocket back around it so that just the strap is poking through the zipper). That way I don't have to pack it wet in the bag, or figure out another way to hold on to it while it dries.

Like this:

strap.jpg

But you gave me an idea. Perhaps I should add this photo to the end of my video.

My Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney (I love those names) that I use for my Nikon 1 system came with a blue strap on the rain coat, which is kind of the same idea.

Also the front pocket is not the permanent home for my passports. They are just located there while going through the boarding process and through Customs. It is just easier for them to be handy, especially when we already have our hands full carrying additional luggage.

While anyone can steal anything at anytime, I would hope it would be a bit safer in those secure areas. But if someone is going to steal my passports, it is probably because they stole my camera bag.

When we get on the ship, I put the passports in the room safe, and when we are on excursion, they go into a wallet that is hidden.

But to each their own, I guess.

Actually, I was wrong. Early Sunday Morning, I guess...

When I double-checked my bag this morning, one end of the blue strap is permanently sewn onto the rain coat. So the memory card wallet did not come on that blue strap.

There is actually a second blue strap in the front of that pocket with a clip on the end of it that can be used for the memory card wallet or keys.

I guess it just shows how versatile Think Tank bags are.

I suppose I can say I am a foremost expert at bags, if for the only reason that I have purchased a dozen or so bags over the years without finding the ultimate bag. Or perhaps it is more accurate to say I am an expert at bags that do not work.

... in search of that elusive perfect bag.

The closest idea of the perfect bag for cruises and vacations, and my current bag - is the Think Tank Speed Freak. Amazingly, I have used this bag on 4 cruises so far.

It is a shoulder bag/but also a waist bag, in that the bag has a deployable belt to help support the bag. When using both shoulder and belt, the bag becomes comfortable enough to lug around all day.

Here is a video I did about my impressions of the bag. I can get my DSLR with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 (or my former favorite 18-200mm lens) attached, plus a 70-300mm lens (or even a 80-200mm f/2.8), a speedlight, a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, and Nikon 10-5mm f/2.8 fisheye. I don't carry cables or chargers in the bag - they stay in the stateroom. No need to carry those around all day.

But lest you think it ends there, here is a second video I did of another bag I am considering going to:

This bag is a non-traditional photo bag, and is actually a general purpose sling bag that many use as a range bag. I can get a DSLR with lens attached in the bag, and a second lens, along with a third telephoto lens if I want to use the water bottle pocket.

Any, this is a compact bag and is a very comfortable bag to carry as well.

At least this should give you a couple ideas.

Based upon your video, I just ordered the sling bag and the ape bag. I'll be using it with my new Sony DSLR camera. I'll repost when they arrive on Wednesday, let you know what I think of them.

OP here - after much deliberation, DH & I bought the Kata bumblebee backpack. We got a great price on it at a local camera shop.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. As a PP stated, I'm sure we'll be looking at other bags depending on future trips and equipment needs. One bag just can't do it all, lol!

I have a Lowe pro slingshot 202aw. Get loads in it, Panasonic bridge camera, Samsung point and shoot, gopro, iPad, & gorilla pod. Loads of pockets for spare batteries and memory cards, and space for tripod to be attached on the side too

Sent from my mobile device

Archived