Just off the Victory with a 2 year old!

SunnydayKim

Hello! We just returned this weekend from our 5-day cruise on the Carnival Victory. This was our first cruise since our son had been born.

DS, Keiran, is 2 years and 5 months old. DH & I have cruised multiple times before baby... but were a bit concerned about how it would all work with the little one onboard. We had nothing to worry about! We are raising a true cruiser!

I did a full review of our cruise in the Carnival Boards with a family slant. I will put the link to that at the bottom of this thread. I will simply put some tips that we learned while on the ship here and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

FTTF: If Faster to the Fun is available- TAKE IT!! This was a wonderful thing. First, it got us onboard and in our room at 11:15 to drop off the stroller and our carry on bags. Our luggage was delivered while we were lunching at Lido and I was completely unpacked by 1:30pm on embarkation day! Other perks included priority tendering (ie no long waits with a two year old) and priority debarkation (ie no dealing with luggage and a two year old while waiting to get off the ship!).

Room set up: We had a balcony (7349) for 3 people. They had the 3rd bed (wall/ceiling) set up when we walked into our room at 11:15. I knew going in that I would either put the mattress on the floor or turn the couch around. We opted for turning the couch around. It worked out perfectly. I think that using the couch and the mattress on the floor would work, but it would be a tight squeeze in an already tight area. Toddler bed/crib sheets do NOT fit around this sofa. We simply used the comforter from the 3rd bed and my son's blanket we brought. Sometimes he wanted a pillow that our steward put on his "bed" and sometimes he didn't.

We didn't miss the couch at all. Our bed turned into changing area, sitting area, reading area, etc. The two times we had breakfast in our room (one port day early and debarkation) we had Keiran sit on the chair and pulled up the little table close to him in the room.

Keiran loved waking up and "climbing" out of his bed over to mommy & daddy in bed.

The balcony has a latch on the door and we made certain it was always latched as that door is easier to open that the room door.

On the balcony, we set the rules up front: Keiran was only to come out there with mommy or daddy and we didn't lean on the glass or step on the "blue" line (there was a 6 inch blue right next to the glass on the floor). This worked out well as although I am sure the balcony is safe, he needs to learn that you don't get too close to rails, etc.

The Ship: The Carnival Victory was really a pretty ship. We loved her. Keiran especially loved the glass elevators (from lobby (3) up to deck 11), the arcade (we would simply let him press buttons, sit on the motorcycles, etc.), mini-golf and overall just exploring the ship.

Camp Carnival: While I was unpacking, DH took DS exploring on the ship the first day and they went into the "open" camp carnival area to look around. He was able to see the place, see some toys and not have the room be foreign to him.

On the first night of our cruise they had a family party for the 2-5 year old group at 7:30 in the dance club. We had so much fun watching Keiran have so much fun! They had music, the floor would light up different colors, they had balloons to throw/bounce up in the air, etc. He is still talking about "the party". This was a great way for mommy & daddy to be there, but allowed him to see/interact with some of the other kids in camp and the counselors. After the party was over we asked Keiran if he wanted to go to camp. He said "yes, I want to go to camp!".

We dropped him off at camp around 8:15 and picked him up at 9:30. From that point on... he was asking to go to camp every day. They had face painting (jungle theme night one night), parachute games, arts and crafts, songs, stories, etc. I really meant to bring the Camp Fun Times- but I left it in our room :( Sorry about that. Hit me up with questions though as it is fresh in my mind.

This cruise had 3 port days. Those days were spent with mommy & daddy having fun off the ship and on the ship, then after nap it would be camp for an hour or so; then fun and dinner with mommy & daddy and after dinner, camp again. He really did love it. They did give us a cell phone that first night. We brought his pajamas on the one night that he stayed after 10pm and they changed him and set up "bed" areas for the kids. That did not mean they slept though ;) Keiran was wide awake at 11:30pm that night!

Food: We enjoy having the sushi before dinner. Since Keiran's normal dinner time is 5:30 at home, he was really hungry too but wouldn't try the sushi. By day 2 we were taking a snack for him and that calmed down any pending tears and I want my dinner whines. Keiran really enjoyed being able to pick out his own lunch/desert from the Lido deck (with a little guidance). Dinner was a bit long for him, but the serving staff did such a great job making little paper boats/frogs/etc. for him, making certain his bowl of grapes was out quickly, bringing his dinner first, etc. Keiran even tried a few new things on the cruise and LOVED the Strawberry soup!

I am so happy that we had a good time and that Keiran enjoyed it. I am already starting to look into cruises for next year ;)

Any questions, please ask!

Link to full trip report with pictures: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1839456

Kim

Is Keiran potty trained?

I doubt that my DD will be potty trained at the time.

Did you take "full" diaper bag to camp? Or just a diaper and some wipes? Am I suppose to label her stuff? Can I leave a sippy cup? Was everything an organized activity (crafts etc)? If so, is it okay if she doesn't participate in the organized activities? (Will she be allowed to just play with the toys or run around during these times?)

Keiran is not fully potty trained. We brought his little toddler sized Elmo backpack (what we used to put books & toys in for the cruise) and then we had a "toy & book shelf" in the room. We simply brought that backpack with wipes, two pull ups and a change of clothes in it when we dropped him off at camp. They had to use the change of clothes once as he went to the bathroom, pulled down his pull-ups but didn't make it in time :rolleyes:

There is a lot of organized activities. They do have some "free, fun play- cruisers choice" sometimes. This was normally in the mornings and we were in ports. Keiran really liked all of the organized activities though. He drew on an octopus, they gave him a ship t-shirt and he colored that with special fabric markers, books, mini-movies, parachute play (a large colored parachute that they waved up and down and then ran under and hid), etc. These are only the things that either I saw or he told me about!

We did put his name inside the backpack, but not on the clothes/diapers/wipes.

I do not think that they allow food/drink from outside for allergy reasons within camp (plus prob germs, etc.). They do have little cups with water that they will serve them that I saw once. On the only night we kept him there late (past 9:30) they gave them snacks & juice. This will be listed in the Camp Fun Times though if they give snacks. We always just took him right after drink/snack time for about an hour and then after dinner. He is vocal enough to ask for water if he needs it. I would ask if you could leave an empty sippy cup that they could fill with water.

One time I picked him up and he was just playing on the floor with Mr. Potato heads while some other kids were playing video games (a bit older- like 4/5 playing those games). I do not think that they will have an issue with her not doing the organized activity at all. The counselors on this ship were so nice and gave Keiran hugs goodbye, would high-five him when they saw him walking on the ship, etc.

Have a great time!

Kim

Archived