SEA-TAC Airport TSA North End Checkpoints

easy_123

Yesterday afternoon at 3 pm, I flew out of the Seattle airport. I was in Seattle for business and as I am on a PCL cruise in August out of Seattle, I have been wondering how long it takes to get through the TSA checkpoint.

The United and Alaska Airlines check-in areas are in the North Terminal. The Cruise Transfer buses are at the far end of the South Terminal (at least as far as I can tell).

Here are several pictures of the two north-end TSA checkpoint lines. The one with very few people is the one TSA was closing at 1:30 pm (and TSA was not allowing anyone more in those lines).

A couple more points:

1. The cruise/vacation season is just starting
  2. This was mid week
  3. There "premium" lines are only for the first class and upper level frequent flyers (I'm Silver on United, not high enough)
  4. And, this has nothing to do with how long it takes to get to your gate.

It took me about 30 minutes to get through the checkpoint, which is not bad. But....

437011294_2013-05-0912_52_31.jpg.fa526ae614847b1acd6a9f1a15c7782f.jpg

209492182_2013-05-0912_52_43.jpg.a6c19e823e13349415f6b142feb56b48.jpg

Just a few notes as a resident of the Puget Sound area who uses SeaTac regularly.

1 - All gates are accessible from all checkpoints. The one with the shortest line may not be the one closest to your gate, so if the line is long definitely scout the others. The wait times can vary WIDELY between the various checkpoints. And, of course, sometimes they are all busy. If they all look equally crowded, the Central Checkpoint is usually the best choice because it has the most capacity.

2 - SeaTac consists of the Main Terminal with concourses A, B, C, and D, and the North and South Satellites with "N" and "S" gates respectively. The North and South Satellites have no connection to the street and are only accessible via the underground train, which is past security. Alaska is in the process of moving its operations out of the C and D concourses and will have exclusive use of the North Satellite. The bus area is outside the south end of the Main Terminal Baggage Claim. If you ask directions on how to get to the "South Terminal" you'll likely wind up at the satellite and nowhere near your bus.

3 - For those with TSA Pre-Check access, the Pre-Check line is now at the Central Checkpoint. None of the other security checkpoints have Pre-Check.

Don't know if American has moved yet, but it is imminent. Since you posted a travel date of December 19, they will have definitely moved by December.

The closest security checkpoint to the "D" gates is the north checkpoint. But as I pointed out, any of the 4 checkpoints (near A concourse, central, near C concourse, and near D concourse) can be used and you should scout the other checkpoints and use the one with the shortest line. If none appear short, use the Central Checkpoint, which is the largest. I use the Central Checkpoint about 50% of the time instead of the "closest" checkpoint. One time I even used the one at the other end of the airport when the north checkpoint was mobbed and the south checkpoint was virtually empty.

SeaTac is easy to navigate and is well signed. It is nice having a common secure airside zone.

Archived