HOHO buses in Baltic ports.

Heading on the Eclipse Baltic cruise ex Southampton on 8th June.

Just wondering on peoples thoughts on using HoHo buses/boats in Stockholm,Copenhagen,Helinski instead of ships tours.

Will all the major sites be covered?

What are the costs involved & can tickets be purchased locally in local currency or by credit card?

Regards,

Joe & Geraldine.

Heading on the Eclipse Baltic cruise ex Southampton on 8th June.

Just wondering on peoples thoughts on using HoHo buses/boats in Stockholm,Copenhagen,Helinski instead of ships tours.

Will all the major sites be covered?

What are the costs involved & can tickets be purchased locally in local currency or by credit card?

Regards,

Joe & Geraldine.

Joe and Geraldine

We only used the HoHo bus in Stockholm so that is all we can really comment on. There is a city bus that stops right by the cruise terminal (Frihmanen), but it doesn't run on Sundays, and, of course, we were there on a Sunday. So to compensate, as soon as we docked there seemed to be a fleet of HoHo buses at the terminal. We were looking to get to Vasa ASAP, so we had no choice but to use this mode of transportation. Now this was 3 years ago, and they weren't cheap then, about $40 PP. There is a little kiosk in the terminal that sells tickets and you can charge them. They took us to Vasa, then we reboarded and it took us to Gamla Stan, and finally back to the ship. Expensive, we felt so, but it served a purpose and we had no real other options.

IN Helsinki, many people opt for the I believe 3T tram, which is like a HoHo bus, only a tram. If you buy the Helsinki card (a day pass) you can ride it from place to place, getting on and off as you wish. It is pretty inexpensive and an enjoyable way to get around. Much of Helsinki is pretty compact, most off of Market square, and that is where you need to go to catch the tram. Getting to Market Square you would need other public transportation.

Chers

Len

Personally I would not recommend using the HOHO bus in Sthlm.

Its very expensive and I didn't think the tour gave that much info either. I had the Stockholm card but still had to pay around €25-26.

Your ship will be in Stockholm from 8am to 5pm and with so "much" time I would recommend on do it yourself-tour.

Sthlm is quite simple to get around in with extensive public transport and the interesting places are quite close together.

Viator have details of Ho/ho tours for many destinations.

http://www.viator.com/search/hop%20on%20hop%20off%20tours

We are thinking of booking the Ho/ho boat tour in Stockholm as it is very reasonable (about £10), we were thinking of doing the same in Copenhagen but the boat is open top so if its raining there would be no cover so wont decide on that until we are actually there. The only places we will do organised tours are St. Petersburg and Zeebrugge (where we want to visit Ypres). We mostly think cruise line shore excursions are a rip-off so prefer to do our own thing where we can.

I would opt for doing those 3 ports using public transportation, although depending on which port you use in these cities (they all have more than one) some buses might not run if you are there on a weekend. HOHOs are usually a lot more expensive, don't run as often, and (from what I've heard since I've never used one) not terribly reliable.

Personal opinion: no need for HOHO in Stockholm as you mainly walk through the old city and take public transport to/from Vasa (depends on where you go first). No need for HOHO in Copenhagen as it is walkable. YES for Helsinki as there you have a HOHO tram, not a buss, which is fun. YES for Berlin.

• 3 weeks later...
Personal opinion: no need for HOHO in Stockholm as you mainly walk through the old city and take public transport to/from Vasa (depends on where you go first). No need for HOHO in Copenhagen as it is walkable. YES for Helsinki as there you have a HOHO tram, not a buss, which is fun. YES for Berlin.

How far is walking from the cruise terminal in Stockholm to the market square? Thanks!

Joe and Geraldine

We only used the HoHo bus in Stockholm so that is all we can really comment on. There is a city bus that stops right by the cruise terminal (Frihmanen), but it doesn't run on Sundays, and, of course, we were there on a Sunday.

Bus 76 does in fact run on Sundays. There are some old posts from a time when it did not service Frihamnen on Sundays.

Archived