Use a Private Guide and car in St. Pete!

Mike - Yes, I can confirm you made the right choice. Alla is absolutely oustanding. She is organized, extremely competent and knowledgeable, and very personable. We spoke with others who took toured with her and the driver and they told us her driver is also excellent. We only met him for tranfers because she took us, at our request, on public transportation. We had been there before and wanted to get off the usual path. Also, we went to Moscow on the overnite sleeper and she arranged a great guide in Moscow for us. I understand you will be there for the first time and of course need to see the most visited (for good reasons) sights. She will do a great job for you.

I think I read the Kirov is on vacation in August but she is able to get tickets to other performances. She took us to a Jazz Club one evening.We did not chose to go to any restaurants except for the evening of the Jazz Club. She took us to a typical "fast food" place that was delightful. It was chose your own filling for a thin pancake and a choice of delicious salads they then price by weight. I am sure she will chose great restaurants for you since we have great confidence in her. As you know you do not need a visa to tour with her. Even tho we had a visa we spent lots of time with her and thoroughly enjoyed being with her. I am sure you have already had much interaction with her via email and already have a sense of how conscientious she is. I will be happy to answer any other questions. Bon Voyage.

I saw a few European ships at Neva and the rest at industrial. Without a visa you can't get off the ship, and I found the industrial port, and the drive from it to downtown, interesting. But then, I'd rather see a country's street scene than its museums.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Century in May. We used DenRus and found them to be wonderful -- Eugenia was our guide, and she was just marvelous, very knowledgeable and just joy to be around. There were 8 of us and we put the whole thing together using these boards.

The van was very nice, plenty of room. We took food from the ship and ate en route. We just ordered room service sandwiches the night before and packed them with fruit from the breakfast buffet and a few cookies. Don't forget to bring food for your guide and driver if you eat en route.

You need new bills as the banks there charge a fee for American currency which is less than new and crisp. There is a fee for using VISA with DenRus so we took crisp bills and paid in cash. Ask about tipping your guide and driver; DenRus will give you a range that is acceptable.

A word to the wise about the ship expediting disembarkation of those who are going independent. WATCH THEM!!!! One of our group was holding all the DenRus tickets. The ship mistakenly told some people to meet in one place and some to meet in another. We were separated with no way of knowing where each other were. The ship could have cared less that they made a total mess of it. They didn't want to let us out of our lounge without proof of our DenRus tickets, and they made NO effort to find out where the others were sent. After an HOUR, we said the heck with you and made our way to the gangplank with no idea what we would find. When we put our ship cards in the terminal, it beeped, and a ship crewmate came rushing over, asking if we were xyz because they were holding our tickets. The other 6 had all been sent to the same meeting place, couldn't find us, and the ship never told them we had been sent elsewhere, so they did what they could -- left the tickets at the disembarkation point hoping we would come along. Everyone had to wait an hour for us, which messed up the first day. We managed to keep on schedule by eliminating lunch. Needless to say, our tour mates were none too happy (thank God they waited), but it had all been the ship's fault. BE SURE ALL IN YOUR GROUP HAVE THEIR OWN TICKETS, don't have one person hold them for the group, and don't expect that you all will be sent to the same meeting place for disembarkation. Meet up on land.

It was an absolutely incredible cruise except for that one glitch which could have cost us an entire day in St. Pete if our fellows had not waited. I would NEVER have gone totally independent. The police are very corrupt, plenty of horror stories. And be sure you are on the ship when you are supposed to be; we evidently left some folks who dallied at the little shop on shore. Stuck in corrupt Russia, with no visa?? YIKES!!!

We just returned from the Baltic and I can't say enough about how much using a private guide and car in St. Pete added to our enjoyment of St. Pete.

We used RO; there were 4 of us; the pricing was comparable to doing ship's tours and the guide and driver were professional, knowledgeable, personable, and always accomodating. I don't know if specific requests are possible, but you might ask for Elena (a university professor) as the guide and Gennady as the driver as we found them to be all one could wish for.

We went on an evening excursion through the ship and the contrast was amazing. Herded around in large group, trying to hear guide, waiting for bus to leave, waiting for 50 people to get back on the bus, etc.

vs.

Proceeding at our pace; seeing what we were interested in; having a very knowledgeable guide who we could easily hear and ask questions; spotless, nearly new Mercedes van with professional driver meeting us always as scheduled, dropping us at the door; making last minute changes and acoomodating special requests and needs; by-passing larger groups waiting to proceed through Catherine's Palace, etc.

This is not a city that you can easily see on your own in 2 days if you are interested in the major sights in and out of town. We generally are DIY on port visits, but for a once in a lifetime visit, we could not have covered even a fraction of the sights.

CMI

My family returned this week from a Star Princess sailing - We also chose to avoid the organized tour in St.Petersburg & worked with DenRus - We had the experience of a lifetime! DenRus was fantastic - our guide and driver absolutely wonderful - We saw everything possible (including an evening Folklore Show where my husband & I were pulled from the audience to dance!) but more important - were able to ask questions and learn about the people, history, gov't, culture, etc...that in a large group would never even have been touched upon.

As far as everyone who is worried about "that Visa thing" & "getting off the ship if you aren't on a ships' tour" - We easily walked off the ship at 7a.m. - (just went down to the disembarkation level) w/no problem, stood in the "independant tours" line at immigration - they only looked at our passport - (didn't even glance at our DenRus tickets!) our guide was waiting for us with a sign - and we were in our van & beginning our tour of the city by 7:30a.m.!!! Yes, the days were long, but surprisingly didn't seem so because we were so excited by all we were experiencing

As for the crowds at the major sites- our guide would simply speak with the guard & we'd "squeeze" past the large groups! Also, when viewing a particular painting or room/exhibit - how nice is it not to have to stand in a large group straining to hear what's being said??? And you can ask as many questions as you want - and even go back to look at something for a second time!

Don't hesitate, it's definitely is worth arranging w/a private company in St.Petersburg - this is a once in a lifetime experience

Archived