Emerald Princess Baltic trip report - May 23-June 3, 2013 (with pictures and patters)

Thanks Dnylla for the great cruise review. We are going on this cruise in about a year and I've been waiting for the reviews from this years Baltic cruises to get posted. Loved the pics intermingled with the review.

Thanks for reading thmom. I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did :)

• 2 weeks later...

Your posts have been incredible and I'm planning my Aug. 8th cruise excursions around many of your tips. As I'm starting to pack, do you have any recommendations about the dress code while on land? Are shorts appropriate? Would the locals treat us better if slightly more dressed up? (skirt/capris) I can only find info about the ship dress code, and not the cultural norms while on land. I know the ballet is dressy... Thanks so much!

Your posts have been incredible and I'm planning my Aug. 8th cruise excursions around many of your tips. As I'm starting to pack, do you have any recommendations about the dress code while on land? Are shorts appropriate? Would the locals treat us better if slightly more dressed up? (skirt/capris) I can only find info about the ship dress code, and not the cultural norms while on land. I know the ballet is dressy... Thanks so much!

Thanks for reading Betsynh! My observations, from our cruise in May and other trips, is that there is less difference in dress between the locals and "average" Americans then there used to be (due to tv shows, the internet, proliferation of international clothing chains, cheaper flights, etc) especially among the younger generations. Some things that used to scream "American tourist", like jeans, no longer do. That said, I do not think that shorts are very common in the Baltic countries, unless they are experiencing a heat wave. So capris or skirts would probably blend in better. Hopefully this helps.

Edited by dnylla

• 3 weeks later...
Must add my thanks to your wonderful review. We are taking the B2B TA and Baltic cruise on the new Royal next April/May and your review has provided a wealth of information. Thanks again and again!!

You're welcome WineAlongWithMe, I'm glad that you were able to gather some helpful information for next year.

• 4 months later...

You've given us a great detailed summary which has helped us plan our cruise. We're going in May , same time you guys went.

one question-on (almost) all the cruises and trips we've taken to foreign countries, they take USD (with change in the local currency). Do you remember if this was the case on this trip? Ditto with CC. MOST vendors take CC.

Thanks again for all the work you put into your journal!

You've given us a great detailed summary which has helped us plan our cruise. We're going in May , same time you guys went.

one question-on (almost) all the cruises and trips we've taken to foreign countries, they take USD (with change in the local currency). Do you remember if this was the case on this trip? Ditto with CC. MOST vendors take CC.

Thanks again for all the work you put into your journal!

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it jimmyboots68. I don't have an answer regarding USD, because we had ordered local currencies before leaving the states. I think that they said on the cruise that the more touristy areas in St. Petersburg took dollars without any issues (but not always credit cards, as one of the people on our shore excursion discovered). In other cities USD might be accepted in tourist stores, but I have heard the exchange rate is not the best. We did not have any issues with our American (non-chip and pin) credit cards. Enjoy your cruise, it's coming up soon!

Edited by dnylla

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for a wonderful and informative review. We are a couple of young at heart seniors and you have managed to put a few things into perspective for us which has put our minds at rest about a few little 'niggles' we previously had. We are really looking forward to our cruise! :D

• 2 months later...
I agree Tropical Anne, Rick Steves Scandinavia is a great guidebook. I originally got it because it was the only Scandinavia one I saw that included Tallinn, but after reading it and posts here on the forum I was glad I did. Less than 1 month to go, how exciting! :) Enjoy your cruise!

Lol! Very true, but make sure they're broken in before you go ;) this is not a cruise I'd want to get blisters on :D

Dear Dnylla,

I loved your detailed travelogue of the Baltic Cruise. Please explain about how many other currencies and about how much I should ask for? I have Euros and am paying for other tours with my credit card. I am more concerned about arriving at the Copenhagen airport & how much to have for dinner and sightseeing there? And, for tips in St Petersburg, Oslo, Stockholm, Gotenburg,

& Copenhagen??? How much in tips and about how much for small souvenirs in their money please??? I have no idea of what to get?? Thank you. I asked to befriend you.

bjrose;)

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing the same trip as you did except it will be on the Royal Princess leaving Copenhagen on the 23 May. Could you please tell us what you did about currency in each country. I believe they all have Kroner, but all are different for each country. Did you get some cash for each country before you left home? your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I must tell you that your information on Cruise critic about your trip has been fantastic, I have read and re-read it many time. Thank you for taking so much time to do that for us all.

Kind regards Dote:)

• 1 month later...
Thank you for such detailed and amazing review!I really enjoyed it!

Glad you enjoyed it cansas.piligrim

Thank you so much for a wonderful and informative review. We are a couple of young at heart seniors and you have managed to put a few things into perspective for us which has put our minds at rest about a few little 'niggles' we previously had. We are really looking forward to our cruise!

I’m happy to be of help Essexlass2. I poured over the trip reports here before we sailed and I’m glad others can benefit from our trip

Please explain about how many other currencies and about how much I should ask for? I have Euros and am paying for other tours with my credit card. I am more concerned about arriving at the Copenhagen airport & how much to have for dinner and sightseeing there? And, for tips in St Petersburg, Oslo, Stockholm, Gotenburg,

& Copenhagen??? How much in tips and about how much for small souvenirs in their money please??? I have no idea of what to get??

Bjrose, the amount of currency you want to take will probably depend on what you want to do. In most of the cities if you go to a larger restaurant they will often take credit cards and the tourist sites may as well. If you buy each country’s currency you will need the Danish Kroner, Norwegian Kroner, Russian Rubles, and Swedish Kroner.

In Copenhagen I think we spent around 600 DKK each. The tips and small souvenirs will depend. Tips can be very subjective. We tended to tip less when it was a big group and/or we did not feel like the guide put in as much effort. I think that Euros would probably work as a fallback for tips if you do not have the local currency.

Small souvenirs could range from the equivalent of $10 or less and up, depending on what you buy and the quality. Sorry I can’t help be more specific. More tourist oriented shops may also accept credit cards (look for the logos posted somewhere) and street vendors will likely prefer cash.

We are doing the same trip as you did except it will be on the Royal Princess leaving Copenhagen on the 23 May. Could you please tell us what you did about currency in each country. I believe they all have Kroner, but all are different for each country. Did you get some cash for each country before you left home? your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I must tell you that your information on Cruise critic about your trip has been fantastic, I have read and re-read it many time. Thank you for taking so much time to do that for us all.

Hi Dote, sorry for the late reply (you may already be on your way over to Europe – yay!) but for some reason I haven’t been getting the email notices when someone comments. I hope you have a great cruise!

Denmark, Norway, and Sweden all have kroner, but they are different like you suspected. For each location with a different currency My sister researched what the menu prices were and I researched what the admission costs were for places we were interested in. We added in a little extra for food/souvenirs (this will vary depending on who is traveling) and then I ordered the currency from my bank and had it delivered before we left. We did get some cash for each county although I had the euros). For Russia it was not necessary, everywhere we went they were willing to take dollars. Many of the bigger tourist places would at least take a credit card, we like to have the cash though because it gives some flexibility and limits the fees. Plus then we could shop or eat at smaller spots without worrying if they took credit cards or not. Princess does have currency machines onboard. It wasn’t the best rate and both of them seemed to be out of order at the same time, but it is an option.