Taking coolers on board? Have you done this?

Sablerose

here's a link to a FDA warning about Mexican Vanilla containing coumarin (coumarin is the same thing as warfarin which is rat poison). A lot of vanilla sold in Mexico is either artificial vanilla or has coumarin or tonka bean extract which contains coumarin. Coumarin is used as a substitute for vanilla or artificial vanilla flavoring because it smells like vanilla. Coumarin was outlawed in the US for food use in the 1950s.

http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia2807.html

Wow you learn something new everyday. I have been on these boards for years, as well as being an avid cook and this is the first time I have read about this. Thanks for the info!!

here's a link to a FDA warning about Mexican Vanilla containing coumarin (coumarin is the same thing as warfarin which is rat poison). A lot of vanilla sold in Mexico is either artificial vanilla or has coumarin or tonka bean extract which contains coumarin. Coumarin is used as a substitute for vanilla or artificial vanilla flavoring because it smells like vanilla. Coumarin was outlawed in the US for food use in the 1950s.

http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia2807.html

Coumadin is wafarin and a blood thinner

Coumarin was banned by the FDA as a food additive in 1940 due to studies showing liver toxicity, there is also evidence that it may be a cacinogenic

Coumarin by itself may or may not have anticoagulant properties

Coumarin smells like vanilla

Hey Sablerose! I was just looking through the boards & noticed that your from Tinker. I live in Yukon & will be traveling on RCI in Oct. 2005.

It looks like you got a lot of options when it comes to traveling with coolers.

:) I just bought Vanilla at the duty free shop in Cozumel, which I also bought 2 yrs ago.. I really like the brand PALAPA it has a yellow /red label. no Cumarina/coumarine...

I love the taste and flavor. a big 1 liter like 5.00 a great price. it comes in a glass bottle

Archived