Adventure Ocean - Kids Experiences?

barefootscribe

My family is going on the Enchantment on Oct 06, and I'm trying to find out about the Adventure Ocean programs on that ship for my little brothers. The youngest one is 7, the next one is 11 and the oldest one is 15. The 11 and 7 year olds want to know what kind of stuff the kids do, and if it's better to be in the program or with their parents. I think they'd both have fun in the AO program, but the 11 YO is really shy and would need a strong enticement to give it a try. The 7 YO will probably be off like a shot. The 15 YO may or may not do the program; he's mature enough to hang out with the adults, anyway.

Anybody have stories of AO programs they'd be willing to share?

Thanks!

Barefoot

All of the children with the exception of the 7 year old will be able to check themselves in and out of the kids center as long as your parent signs the form that says it's okay. So if you don't like it you can leave.;)

On our last cruise my kids loved the kids center on RCI because they had large screen tv's with newer movies on and popcorn to munch on. They also had gameboys and access to computers in the kids center which the older kids might like. All ships usually have an arcade. The kids centers have all types of things to do like painting t-shirts, going on scavenger hunts, having ice-cream eating contests, and there are lots of toys lying around if someone shy prefers to just play alone where it's quiet. On our last RCI cruise the kids helped to build a volcano and then they made it explode. They loved that! :) They also got to make their own rubber balls which they thought was pretty neat. Most kids 12 and under absolutely love the kids center. The kids over 12 usually stop by to play on the games boys or the computers and then they leave. There is always a ping pong table in or near the kids center which is a lot of fun too. You will all have a blast and want to cruise for every vacation, my kids do. I can hardly get them out of the kids centers when we cruise!:D

We have been on Voyager and Radience. Both times my son (7 and then 8 y/o) loved the Adventure Ocean program. I think it was key to take him to the orientation and also to try to hook him up with at least one other child so he can look for a familiar face. There are always other parents who want to find a cruise buddy for their child so they will be motivated to try the program. (The counselors give everyone a silly name and they are usuall quite energetic and positive.) On VOS we got him to meet a boy from our roll call here on CC. We met at the orientation and they were both excited to get to AO. On ROS our table mates had a daughter his age. They clicked and loved going together to the activities. The thing he enjoyed most each time was the pirate night. They dressed as pirates and took over the ship marching around in a parade of sorts and chanting silly rhymes. He also liked eating with AO on those special nights. We made him have one formal night with us, but let him off the hook to eat with his pals the other night.

Both trips were spring break. On VOS there were over 1000 kids on board, ROS only 400. It was much nicer with fewer kids.

My daughter was 12 and then 13 on our cruises. Both times she met kids online through CC roll call. Through email the parents exchanged instant message screen names. She started IM'ing with them and had fun hanging out with her girlfriends. They didn't like the AO activities, but they played mini golf, climbed the wall, played basketball, hung out at the places like Johnny Rockets, or Seaview Cafe. They had fun at the pool and watching the shows too. They also hung out with us seeing the shows, playing Bingo, hanging at the pool, and of course eating and doing the shore excursions.

This time our daughter will be 15 (yikes!) and we are going on Princess. They have a teen disco each night, but we are going with friends so she will have built in buddies for hanging this time. Our son will still go to the kids program, but now he has such great memories that he is not hesitant at all!

I just posted a review of A.O. on the Explorer. It might give you some ideas of how the program works. We have kids that are the same ages and they ALL loved it. Even the 14 yr. old - who never wants to vacation because he's "so bored" - loved it.

my son LOVES the AO activities. Each day will have a different theme... as well as each night having a different theme.

Some favorites:

pirate night- kids dress as pirates and then parade from AO to the main dining room ( during second seating ) and then put on a little performance. Very fun... great picture moments!!!

Survivor Night- got into team tribes, made banners, had various contests....like gross eating contests( not really gross but fun)

Circus on the seas- this is a daytime activity... kids go to rehearse their parts about an hour before the show time... then parade to the promenade to put on their very own Circus on the seas. (very fun to watch.... however we found that it was at the same time as wine tasting and had to skip the wine to see the kid!!!!)

Talent show- kids go early to pick a talent and practice ( again this is a daytime activity). The show is held in one of the lounges for all to see. Everyone wins!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell that my son is a performer and loved every chance he could get to perform??!!!! There are many other activities... the big favorite game for all the kids is Gaga ball ( it is like dodge ball... but not as rough)

These activities were all done with the 6-8 age group... the 3-5 also did pirate night.

My daughter (10YO) is also very quiet and a bit shy. There tends to be a lot of "singles" in AO program - other kids who don't know anyone else. This seems to make it easier for her to make some friends. Most of the counselors are really good about getting the kids to "mix" and to join in.

Here's 2 more votes fpr Adventure Ocean. My kids have done the program 3 x and loved it each time. My kids are 6 and 11 and last year we did Alaska. They do some neat stuff. kids have to be dragged off the ship to go do port stuff due to way too much fun. Depending on the ship will depend on the teen program. FYI.. there is a video arcade right across from A/O on most ships. Also, we learned the hard way, kid's sea pass(even if you have said no charging on it) works on the internet cafe.

Anne

We are going on the Adventure of the seas on Sept.25,2005. This is after school starts. You were saying that the kids could find other kids sailing on our date through the CC roll call. How did you do that? Is there a special CC roll call for kids? Mine are 11 yrs. and 13 yrs. old. and I would like them to do that.

Thanks

We were on Enchantment July 2003. My kids liked it, but there weren't a ton of kids enrolled in AO. We dropped them off after dinner, then we could go to the shows, etc. They were separated by their ages in 2 different rooms, but didn't seem to care. They are boys--they like video games too. They did everything with us during the day. They liked cashing in their coupons at the end for gifts. Will Enchantment be out of dry dock then? It was a really nice ship and should be even better!:) I'd go on it again.

Mom 37...to find people who are on your cruise go to the "roll calls" section of the cruise critic boards for your cruiseline. If there is a thread already started, join in and find out if anyone else has kids that would like to meet yours. Exchange adult email addresses and send the parent the screen names or emails for your kids. They can then hook up online without you providing any of their online information here on CC. If you are uncomfortable with them meeting online youi can just arrange to meet at a certain place/time before the orientation onboard.

If no one has started a roll call thread for your cruise you can start one. Just read through a few to see how it's done. We have met some very nice people and still keep in touch with some of them.

Archived