how long does it take to disembark at ports

I8glue2

My girlfriend and I are booked for the Carnival Glory cruise leaving NYC in September. This is my second cruise so I have a little bit of insight and my gf has cruized a lot but always booked excursions through the cruise. I've been doing extensive research of the ports we'll be visiting and aim to buy tickets through the tour sites rather than through the ship. (obvious reasons) My question is how long does it normaly take to disembark at the ports. For instance we reach port around 7 am. The tours and attractions do't usually start til 10:30-11 am. Around what time are we allowed to leave ship and how long does it normaly take.

Most tour companies I have worked with will wait for you. This is only my second cruise as well (Like you, Sept. from NYC but on the Splendor LOL). I have taken many tours from resorts. The tour companies know when the ships arrive etc., so I have seen them wait for passengers on cruise ships or coming from resorts (sometimes there is traffic in taking a cab to meet with the tour group etc.).

I would print out all contact info. for the tour company and let them know your details as well such as what ship, what time it docks, which pier it will dock at etc.

Also make sure that you have a clear plan of where you will meet the tour group. In my experience, if the tour company does not pick us up personally, they usually meet the group at major landmark and will hold a sign with the tour company name and tour.

I too am planning some excursions without Carnival, but I won't pre-pay for them unless I have to- its hurricane season so you never know when a port will be changed. Lets cross our fingers that our home port of NYC won't have another tropical storm/hurricane (no Sandy #2!!!!)

Thanks. I certainly don't want to be caught in any big storms lol. I'm heading up to Canada so Hopefuly they don't make it as far. I'm looking at the Freedom trail in Boston and the Amphibious duck tours in Portland for example. You can buy tickets for the Freedom trail online for 11 bucks a person compared to the $40 pp through Carnival. Duck Tours is also half the price or more. I just want to make sure that if there is a preset time for the tickets than I have a enough time to get off the boat and get there. Some tickets are good all day wich is great. I'm also researching other local attractions, shops and restraunts and looking for specials and coupons online as well as printing out maps and choosing a preplanned route for the day. The times at port seem very short compared to all the sites to visit so I'm trying to make the most of each stop without paying a small fortune to do so.

We just got back from that cruise. Unless there's a line once you are allowed off the ship it takes no time to disembark. They just scan your S&S card and you proceed down the gangplank. The ship docks in the middle of the city for both Halifax and Saint John. Where do your excursions originate?

Not sure what that means. How far are they? I haven't planned st john or Halifax yet. Was going to do it this weekend. Thanks for the info on docking. I couldn't figure how far we would have to travel to any destination.

Not sure what that means. How far are they? I haven't planned st john or Halifax yet. Was going to do it this weekend. Thanks for the info on docking. I couldn't figure how far we would have to travel to any destination.

At Saint John the ship docks at the Marco Polo Terminal (111 water street). At Halifax it's Pier 21 (1055 Marginal Road).

Archived