Viking Elegant Elbe - the good, the bad & the ugly!!

9stilton

Hendenne, I don't think Jacksonnh meant that he was taking sides as such. I think you can say you side with someone when you agree with them or simply share their enthusiasm. This in no way discounts your excellent assessment and valid constructive criticism of your voyage. Not that he can't speak for himself! it's just that I was surprised by your response......

Steve

Hendenne, I don't think Jacksonnh meant that he was taking sides as such. I think you can say you side with someone when you agree with them or simply share their enthusiasm. This in no way discounts your excellent assessment and valid constructive criticism of your voyage. Not that he can't speak for himself! it's just that I was surprised by your response......

Steve

Thanks for that obviously much needed clarification Steve.. it's good to have contributors who can clear up such matters for the benefit of all.

Thanks for that, Hendenne. If only our world leaders would handle crises with such diplomacy! The Elegant Elbe was my first river cruise and I have been on many fancy Danube and Rhine River trips since, but nothing sticks in my memory like that historic voyage: the excitement, history and museums of Berlin and Potsdam, Martin Luther and Wittenberg, the charming town of Meissen, and not to mention sailing into Dresden, the jewel of a city completely rebuilt, with the bridges, and buildings such as the Semper Opera House and Zwinger all lit up at night........sailing through where the devastation of WWII and the struggles of the Cold War era took place in Eastern Germany, and to witness the rebuilding and renewed vitality was unforgettable. And then to end the trip in Prague........what else can you say?

However, had it not been such a port-intensive, busy trip, the imperfections and noise of the older Clara Schumann probably would have bothered me more, although I understand it was refurbished a few years ago and hopefully that has made a difference.

I sailed on the Elbe river on the Fontane this past May and stayed in one of the lower deck cabins. This was my 7th river cruise with Viking and I researched the ship and the cruise prior to booking. Over the years I had heard so many good things about this cruise itinerary.

The Elbe is shallow although we left there just as the storms and floods began and I thought then that the river was rather higher than usual. My heart goes out to those who had cruises booked this past summer.

I knew the ship was different than other Viking ships and that the cabin would be small so that was no surprise. Our cabin was across from the laundry room but I always slept well and heard no disturbing engine noises. I wasn't aware that the stairs were so steep but it was not a problem for my knee replacement. There are chair lifts available for those with limited mobility and we did have people that used crutches and wheelchairs on our cruise. If you are in a lower cabin, you have to go up one flight of stairs and then down another to get to the dining room.

The ship was very clean and the staff was good. I agree that the entertainment isn't great but that's not why I river cruise. As a matter of fact, I usually retire after dinner and rest up for the next day's tours.

Cruises are expensive so it is important to research ships and itineraries before you book your trip. Food is not going to be the same as it is on larger ships but I have have always been pleased. My larger ships cruises have been on Oceania which has fantastic food but I've never gone hungry on a river cruise. I'm always amazed that they can offer that much variety with such small kitchens.

I plan on cruising with Viking again in the future. Any time something has gone wrong on previous cruises, it has been fixed to my satisfaction. Travelling is always an adventure so if you have particular needs or wants, make sure you know what you're paying for before you book. These boards are great for 1st hand reports on cruises but keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints.

Archived