Cabo/PV winter weather

randyj266

My wife and I are doing a NYE cruise down to Cabo and PV with Carnival. We've both spent several years in the SoCal area so we're used to the possibility of walking around in shorts on Christmas day and then a full puff jacket Christmas night. Neither of us however have any experience with this region of the world. I've done some research and seen the numbers, but what are the personal experiences? The water should be warmer down there leading me to consider a snorkeling trip for the wife and I in Cabo.

Thoughts, considerations, experiences?

Thanks!

Randy

The "numbers" are a reflection of everybody's personal experiences.

We spend most of our Novembers in Vallarta. We have experienced hot & humid along with cool & dry. We have spent weeks with the a/c on and weeks where we never turned it on.

We have experienced periods when the Pacific waters are pretty clear and times when you couldn't see more than three feet. We have even experienced times when jelly fish were so thick that any in-water excursions were cancelled.

Like the weather in SoCal, conditions in Cabo & Vallarta are driven by the weather off shore. I can tell you that snorkeling on Mexico's Pacific coast isn't anywhere near what one experiences in the Caribbean.

I never recommend people do an excursion with snorkeling is the primary activity, only where it is an optional part of a water based activity.

Las Caletas or one of the sailing excursions work well in Vallatra. I understand there is a small bay east of Cabo that does offer some good snorkeling but the logistics getting there can be a challenge.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to give you my husband and I's experience around that time over the last few years. I recommend bringing your jackets as so cal is windy and cool in the evening and at night. Once we got into cabo San Lucas we noticed a significant weather change. We wore t shirts and shorts and swam in the ocean with just bathing suits, no wet suits, in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. Last Decmebr we did the resort/beach excursions in both cities and enjoyed sunning on the beach and by the pools. The weather got a little more humid in PV but nothing uncomfortable. Have a great time!

I guess we are spoiled by the Caribbean waters in Mexico because we NEVER do a water excursion in PV or Cabo. The Pacific water is just too cold for us and we live in southern California.

The water in the Sea of Cortez, which is the only swimmable beach in Cabo is currently 84 degrees. Swimming is not allowed on the Pacific side of Cabo.

Edited by CWcruisers