Royal Caribbean Bermuda Beach Wedding Help

pmoorefi

I have already reserved my wedding date with Royal Caribbean for a beach wedding in Bermuda in Sept 2014, but since it's so far in advance they won't really discuss much with me and it's annoying. I already had to pay the $5000 to reserve the wedding day and all my guest have already booked the cruise. We are sailing out Baltimore on grandeur of the seas, which is very nice, since no flight is needed. Note: this will be my first time sailing.

Anyone who has gone to a wedding or had their wedding on the beach in Bermuda with Royal Caribbean (Royal Romance) planning/handling the wedding please let me know what you think.

My plan is to bring my own tablecloth (for sand ceremony table), bamboo arbor (arch thing), fabric for arbor, chair bows, sand ceremony vase set. My plan was to tip the on-site Wedding Coordinator with Royal Caribbean to setup the extra stuff I bring. As I want them to use my stuff because I want the colors of the tablecloth, chair bows, and arbor fabric to match my color and I worried if I use their stuff it's not going to match my color and it's not like they will send me a picture of what their stuff looks like because I cant even book or ask any questions about the wedding stuff until 90 days before. Also if it rains I won't be able to use any of their stuff back on the boat. Do you think the on site wedding coordinator will set it up if I give her/him a nice big tip? The only thing really big to setup is the arbor bamboo which I'm going to make really easy to setup even for one person (going to practice myself).

I was thinking about having a wedding reception either back on board the ship in the Viking Crown lounge or some place on shore. If on shore my non sailing guest can attend, there are only about 5 out 30 that are not sailing (flying to Bermuda). If I have it on shore where do I have? I want to have hors d’oeuvres and bar service for an hour and be able to play music from my ipod instead of having DJ. But I need something for guest to do while we finish pictures (we are going to do an extra hour of pictures) so they will need something to do for like 2 hours of pictures, without having to pay for two hours of cocktail hour, don't want my guest that drunk. And i dont want my guest hanging out on the beach while we take pictures. If we have it on the ship guest will be back on the ship and can use the 2 hours however they want, but the non sailing guest can't come because Bermuda laws.

I'm also worried about it raining and not being about to have the beach wedding. My plan was to have the wedding in Viking Crown lounge if it rains because from pictures it looks like it has the best views of the ocean for a place on the ship inside. If anyone has any picture of the viking crown lounge for the grandeur of the seas please post so I can see if the layout will work for a wedding. This is also why I want to bring my own stuff because if i don't bring my own stuff and it rains all the extras i pay them for on the beach i will not be able to have on board the ship, which sucks.

Also I'm planning to have my wedding at Warwick long bay beach in Bermuda and i have some older guest that can't walk very well and i wanted to make sure they didn't have to walk down/up any stairs to get to the beach. I asked royal romance and they won't answer this question and I cant find any pictures showing if there are stairs or not from the parking lot. If you have any please post.

I'm also planning to give my guest favor jars to fill with Bermuda sand from the beach. Will they be allowed to bring the jars of sand back on the ship? They are really small jars like 3 oz.

Any tips or ticks for this wedding process?

I can't answer for RC weddings, but from everything I've read - you're best off keeping decorations (you bring) to a minimum. Everything you have to carry on board, just makes check-in more complicated. Just a suggestion. I was told (with Carnival) that they cannot guarantee they'll have the time to do any decorating so you should plan to have one of your guests do it. Personally I don't want my guests to be out to work so I'm not doing much decorating beyond what is already there. But that's my personal choice.

Not sure about what to do during pictures. Ours will be taken after the reception but I'm not sure how RCCL does it.

Enjoy planning and congratulations!!

I can't answer for RC weddings, but from everything I've read - you're best off keeping decorations (you bring) to a minimum. Everything you have to carry on board, just makes check-in more complicated. Just a suggestion. I was told (with Carnival) that they cannot guarantee they'll have the time to do any decorating so you should plan to have one of your guests do it. Personally I don't want my guests to be out to work so I'm not doing much decorating beyond what is already there. But that's my personal choice.

Not sure about what to do during pictures. Ours will be taken after the reception but I'm not sure how RCCL does it.

Enjoy planning and congratulations!!

Yea, i was scared of it being a problem checking in all that stuff, but it should all fit in one extra suitcase. So I plan to check 3 suitcase. It's not like I'm planning to bring center piece for every table or a tablecloth for every table. You do make a good point about time setting up and having to have my guest setup, but I'm sure it won't be as bad as my sisters wedding, we as guest had to install stairs over the flowerbed she wanted to walkover. It took over 5 hours just for the stairs, not counting all the other stuff other guest had to setup while we got ready. I just want a couple bows ties to chairs and bamboo arch setup, which shouldn't take more than an hour even if one person is doing it.

I just posted on the RCCL thread but now I see you moved it so here you go...

Can I ask what the $5000 you already paid includes?

My DS got married in July on the beach in Bermuda while we were docked on NCL Breakaway. They hired a local wedding planner who handled all of the details. They provided vans to pick us up at the ship and take us to Stonehole Bay...absolutely beautiful and very secluded. She hired the minister, photographer/videographer, got the license, chairs,and flowers. They opted for a heart in the sand made of rose petals and crushed seashells instead of an arch.

After the ceremony, we had a few hor dourves on the beach, as well as wedding cupcakes and prosecco. Also included was bottled water...sparkling and regular.

We brought our own sand ceremony. She provided ipod speakers and we brought an ipod loaded with the couple's favorite songs. We were picked up at the ship around 4:15, they got married around 5, and we were back on the ship before 7. We had an 8:00 dinner reservation in the steakhouse for the wedding dinner.

This was by far the most beautiful, meaningful wedding I have ever been to. They didn't want a whole big affair with tons of people costing tons of $$. Although they just had immediate family, so there were only 10 of us total, it was amazing.

Also, the rain back up plan was a local restaurant that has a covered deck overlooking the water, so they could at least have that in the background for pics.

I agree about wedding insurance...they purchased it in case the ship didn't make it to port. Fortunately we didn't need it, but better to be safe than sorry. Good luck with you wedding! How many guests are you having?

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Bermuda is a beautiful place to get married (but maybe I am a little biased, being a resident and all)! I, too, am in the process of planning a destination wedding (fiance is Canadian so we're doing the wedding in his hometown - better on the budget!) so I understand how nerve-wracking and stressful it can be doing the planning from a distance!

You may have issues with getting the sand taken from the beach back onto the ship. I've heard stories of many a traveller that had their sand confiscated by Customs as they went to reboard the ship. Stores here do sell the pink sand already bottled at a reasonable price, if you want to consider doing that instead. One of the companies actually has the sand bottled by patients at our local mental health institute as a way for them to make money and get a bit of therapy at the same time. I always like buying those bottles as they come with a little description of how the sand is made and it goes to a good cause.

Also, what sort of sand were you thinking of using for the sand ceremony? Sand from our beach or your own sand ceremony sand? If it's your own sand ceremony sand, you may want to contact Bermuda's Department of Environmental Protection to see what they say about using the sand (cause I know I would be heartbroken if some heartless customs official took my sand!). Unfortunately, I don't have an email address for them but I do have a phone number - 441-236-4201. Just make sure you get any answers from them in writing!

As for how to keep your guests entertained while you are doing pictures, maybe the private transport company will consider taking your guests on a short tour of the West End of the island while you are getting photos done?

A lot of the restaurants and hotels located along the South Shore of the island would do a cocktail hour and dinner so that your non-sailing guests could join in on the festivities. The Frog & Onion Pub, which is located right by your ship, has a private dining room which probably would accommodate your needs as well. Friends of mine used Henry VIII restaurant for their wedding supper when they were married here. The Reefs Resort, Coco Reef Resort, Elbow Beach Resort and Southampton Princess are other locations to consider. Restaurants to also try are Blu at Belmont Hills, Beau Rivage at Newstead and the Dining Room at the Lighthouse (all with great views of Hamilton Harbour). *DISCLAIMER* I'm not recommending any of these places and realise this is not a comprehensive list of all of the options you can consider - these were just the places I could think of off the top of my head!

As a resident, I cannot make recommendations for any local vendors or establishments, however, if you have any other questions about Bermuda, at all, please do not hesitate to ask!

Again, congratulations and GOOD LUCK!!!

Good Morning All,

To green eyed lady: Do you know which local wedding coordinator/planner they used to handle the wedding in Bermuda? Was it cheaper than $5000?

All of what you mentioned is what I am dreaming to have for my big day in Bermuda! Also by the wedding being late @5PM, was the sunset out or was it still enough sun to enjoy the scenary?

To sousak78: Since you are a resident, in your opinion: What is a good place to go as in resort or beach to have a wedding?

Thanks ladies and all for the replies and postings.

Congrats to all :)

I having 25 sailing guest and 5 non-sailing guest. So a total of 30 people. My plan was to use the sand from the beach in Bermuda for our sand ceremony. I'm not a big fan of the bright color sand, i like the natural sand. If for some reason they don't allow us to take the sand we put in our vase and guest bottles back on the ship then we will just buy the sand at a local place and use that to fill everything. I don't mind paying for the sand, just want some to take home. I have read on one of the Bermuda government websites that sand that's used as a decoration is allowed to be taken back on tot the ship. They however don't define decoration. After some thinking i have decided i will use the Royal Caribbean wedding beach arbor/arch instead of during my own. It's a lil pricey $675 to rent it and have it setup, but then i wont have worry about bring and making one myself. And don't need the beach arbor if it rains, lol. As for the fabric to go with it, I will still be bring that, that's something easy to bring and add to the setup along with matching chair bows and sand ceremony tablecloth.

The only other thing i'm having a problem with one of my guest having to walk in the sand. My parents were really worried about the stairs or a hill to get to the beach, but I found that won't me problem lucky because there are no stairs at Warwick. Now they want to know how far she will need to walk in the sand to get to my wedding. Really!!!! I don't know. It depends to how far away they setup the chairs. I told them the beach isn't that wide to the water, so it cant be more than 20 feet, but that didn't answer it for them. They are killing me with their nitpicking questions. I know my Aunt cant walk well, and i love her and i want her to go but she won't use a wheel chair and most likely can't in the sand and she can only walk a couple of steps before she needs to sit down. You cant answer their question, and they wont let it go.

Venting...

I just want to yell its my wedding and i want it to be in the sand so its going to be in the sand. And if someone cant get to their chair in the sand we will move their chair to wherever they need it to be and they watch from a distance. Sorry just venting here. I get questions like this all the time from my parents about my wedding it's driving me crazy. They are aren't looking for an answer, just a fight. They keep trying to say my wedding is so expensive, yet my sister got married 1 1/2 years ago they never said anything about the price of her wedding and hers cost $25,000 and they paid, and mine is only going to total $10,000, counting the cost cruise and all my extras wedding things. Not even half the cost of hers and and my has a vacation. They are the ones that said i should do a cruise wedding in the first place, so it was their idea. Sorry still venting. It's just that they make it clear that i'm not the favorite. Yet i graduated with honors with the same degree as my parents (IT) and i paid for my schooling myself and my sister didn't graduate w/ honor and my parents paid for her schooling with a degree that's useless. So unfair, but life isnt fair...

pmoorefi : Did you have to pay extra money to have the reception/dinner in the Viking Crown lounge? If so, was it per person?

It doesn't cost extra to have it the viking crown lounge. The restaurants on the ship are what cost extra, a lot of them have min. of $5000 to rent out the whole restaurant. Lounge don't have a min. to use.

For mine i'm not doing full reception/dinner, as for my guest can eat for free in the dinner room. Why waste free food (food they already paid for in their cruise cost)

I'm doing Hours d'oeuvres buffet with bar service at $32 per person per hour. 16 people min 50 max. It includes 12 pieces a person. I'm also going to do music from my iPod for it which cost $150 for them to allow me to set it up.

if you want pricing for a full reception go here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/New_Royal_Romance_brochure.pdf

I having 25 sailing guest and 5 non-sailing guest. So a total of 30 people. My plan was to use the sand from the beach in Bermuda for our sand ceremony. I'm not a big fan of the bright color sand, i like the natural sand. If for some reason they don't allow us to take the sand we put in our vase and guest bottles back on the ship then we will just buy the sand at a local place and use that to fill everything. I don't mind paying for the sand, just want some to take home. I have read on one of the Bermuda government websites that sand that's used as a decoration is allowed to be taken back on tot the ship. They however don't define decoration. After some thinking i have decided i will use the Royal Caribbean wedding beach arbor/arch instead of during my own. It's a lil pricey $675 to rent it and have it setup, but then i wont have worry about bring and making one myself. And don't need the beach arbor if it rains, lol. As for the fabric to go with it, I will still be bring that, that's something easy to bring and add to the setup along with matching chair bows and sand ceremony tablecloth.

The only other thing i'm having a problem with one of my guest having to walk in the sand. My parents were really worried about the stairs or a hill to get to the beach, but I found that won't me problem lucky because there are no stairs at Warwick. Now they want to know how far she will need to walk in the sand to get to my wedding. Really!!!! I don't know. It depends to how far away they setup the chairs. I told them the beach isn't that wide to the water, so it cant be more than 20 feet, but that didn't answer it for them. They are killing me with their nitpicking questions. I know my Aunt cant walk well, and i love her and i want her to go but she won't use a wheel chair and most likely can't in the sand and she can only walk a couple of steps before she needs to sit down. You cant answer their question, and they wont let it go.

Venting...

I just want to yell its my wedding and i want it to be in the sand so its going to be in the sand. And if someone cant get to their chair in the sand we will move their chair to wherever they need it to be and they watch from a distance. Sorry just venting here. I get questions like this all the time from my parents about my wedding it's driving me crazy. They are aren't looking for an answer, just a fight. They keep trying to say my wedding is so expensive, yet my sister got married 1 1/2 years ago they never said anything about the price of her wedding and hers cost $25,000 and they paid, and mine is only going to total $10,000, counting the cost cruise and all my extras wedding things. Not even half the cost of hers and and my has a vacation. They are the ones that said i should do a cruise wedding in the first place, so it was their idea. Sorry still venting. It's just that they make it clear that i'm not the favorite. Yet i graduated with honors with the same degree as my parents (IT) and i paid for my schooling myself and my sister didn't graduate w/ honor and my parents paid for her schooling with a degree that's useless. So unfair, but life isnt fair...

Its okay to vent because I am in the same boat as you... :cool:

You having questions from you parents and mine is my husband-to-be side. His family talking bout they dont have the money to pay for the cruise, why cant we have something local, I would go but cant find a babysitter... On and on and on and on with excuses. At first it was getting to me because I want him to feel supported as well. Then after all this, I was like we gonna get married via this cruise wedding - this is WHAT WE WANT! So lets do it :D

I am frustrated with other ppls opinion when they not paying for it. If you give us some money towards it then JUST MAYBE you will have a say so...

People are a mess but they wont spoil our moment!

Keep pressing on PMOOREFI

Its okay to vent because I am in the same boat as you... :cool:

You having questions from you parents and mine is my husband-to-be side. His family talking bout they dont have the money to pay for the cruise, why cant we have something local, I would go but cant find a babysitter... On and on and on and on with excuses. At first it was getting to me because I want him to feel supported as well. Then after all this, I was like we gonna get married via this cruise wedding - this is WHAT WE WANT! So lets do it :D

I am frustrated with other ppls opinion when they not paying for it. If you give us some money towards it then JUST MAYBE you will have a say so...

People are a mess but they wont spoil our moment!

Keep pressing on PMOOREFI

Glad to hear i'm not the only one. We are also having trouble with other family members. My sister is wanting to wait until the last minute to get her passport. She thinks she special and can wait until the week before to get it. I keep reminding her not to wait, to go ahead and do it, but she won't listen. she also wanted me to pick the highest price date for the cruise, which i didn't want to do to be nice of our other guest that have to pay. (She isn't even paying for room, yet she says she needs a suit) (she is 30 and still lives at home, never planning on moving out). I put my foot down on that. I'm not paying more for my wedding or making my paying guest pay more just to make her happy.

It's your day, your the one that should be happy. :)

Good Morning All,

To green eyed lady: Do you know which local wedding coordinator/planner they used to handle the wedding in Bermuda? Was it cheaper than $5000?

All of what you mentioned is what I am dreaming to have for my big day in Bermuda! Also by the wedding being late @5PM, was the sunset out or was it still enough sun to enjoy the scenary?

Thanks ladies and all for the replies and postings.

Congrats to all :)

Yes they used Ginny from Weddings with Panache. She's very sweet but takes forever to answer emails and phone calls. That can be very frustrating but I kept trying to remind my son that she is on island time lol :eek: The total they paid was about $5500 and that included everything I mentioned in my earlier post here...including Ginny's fee. But that was only for 10 people so of course the more guests you have the more $$ you will pay. That also included the wedding dinner on the ship which was $30/pp in the steakhouse. Well the drinks were extra but the bride's dad picked up that tab :D

We were too early for sunset...it was still very sunny...and HOT lol The scenery was just beautiful.

Edited by green eyed lady

Just want to mention to all of you ladies who are having family issues with the wedding planning...

I told my son ahead of time that we (me, dh and other 2 sons) would be at their wedding no matter what they decided to do. This was their special day and whatever they wanted was good with us. My only stipulation was that they better not go off and elope because I would have been heartbroken to miss their vows.

They picked out everything themselves and I only gave advice when asked. (most of the time lol) It was the most beautiful wedding I have ever been to.

Here is the link to the video if you have a few free minutes to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDxuJojJks&feature=youtu.be

Just remember this is YOUR day...plan it the way YOU want and don't stress over everyone else. ;)