Anyone take NCL's "Treasures of Tunis" tour?

kimkencruzers

I can't seem to find info on this anywhere. On the Tunis ports board, people took some of the smaller tours there and hated them and thought the port was scary. I would like to know if anyone has taken this tour:

Treasures Of Tunis

Learn about the history of Tunis during your visit to the Bardo Museum and Carthage. Immerse yourself in the sounds, colors and scents of the streets of Medina and stroll the lanes of picturesque Sidi Boud Said. The Bardo is one of the most important museums in North Africa. It offers a wealth of artifacts and mosaics, which take you through the centuries of Phoenician, Roman and Arab history. Take a stroll through the meandering streets of Medina. Enjoy a buffet style lunch of Tunisian and international foods at a local restaurant.

Let your imagination take you back to Phoenician and Roman times at the site of what once was the great city of Carthage. Visit the remains of this ancient city, which was one of the most powerful in the Western Mediterranean. Delight at the sight of the colorful white and blue houses lining the cobbled streets of Sidi Bou Said, a picture perfect village. Enjoy some free time here. Being Sunday, most shops are closed; however, you'll have an opportunity to get that last minute gift at one of the shops that remain open.

$99 per person, we are a family of four.

I will probably never be in this area again and don't want to be a scardy cat and miss it. I don't like junky souvenir haggling or being goaded into buying things. There is no tour that just goes to Carthage and Bardo, you have to add one or both of the villages in (this is where people complained about).

Is the "buffet lunch" palatable? What kinds of food is there? If this tour is not great, what other tour is? I only want to do a ships tour in this area.

Thanks for your help and experience.

I haven't been on a ship excursion to these places, but stayed a week in Tunisia last year on a land based holiday (its just a short flight from the UK and great for a little winter sun, cheap too!). We took an excursion which included all that is mentioned by you. Carthage is interesting, not the most complete ancient site I've been to, compared with say Ephesus in Turkey.

Sidi Bou Said was pretty and we went into a museum (bankers residence I think) which was in the traditional style and had an exhibit of traditional wedding clothes. There are shops along the main street, some selling some interesting objects and there is a collection of vendors at the entrance for the coach parking. All the stall holders will try to get you to buy, especially if they catch you looking at their wares. They can be quite persistent, especially the ones in the parking lot, but be firm but polite when you decline to buy and continue walking. It can be a little un -nerving, but look on it as an experience and a chance to experience a different culture. We had a lot of fun with the local vendors in Hammamet, where we stayed and loved their banter to try to entice you into there shops:)

We were taken to the medina in Tunis and our guide advised to follow just one passage way through it, which was ok because it meant we didn't get lost in the maze that is the medina, but all we saw was tourist goods, not what the locals buy. The medina in Hammamet was much more to our liking and easily explored on our own.

The Bardo museum is certainly well worth a visit, with the most beautiful and extensive mosaics. I hope you enjoy Tunisia as much as we did and that my experiences may help a little. I would happily return there :)

Thank you for your comments, mirsown! I understand there is also a museum at Carthage with some artifacts? Since you stayed a week, what type of food is prevalent in the area? I have two teens with me and although they are willing to try new things, If I go I may have to bring some snacks (probably more for me then them!)

As far as the aggressive venders, I have gotten some practice with being firm and saying no from all our cruises to Nassau and Jamaica, etc. but I still don't like it and want to avoid it. It seems to make me extra crazy when my kids are around.

Edited by kimkencruzers

Thank you for your comments, mirsown! I understand there is also a museum at Carthage with some artifacts? Since you stayed a week, what type of food is prevalent in the area? I have two teens with me and although they are willing to try new things, If I go I may have to bring some snacks (probably more for me then them!)

As far as the aggressive venders, I have gotten some practice with being firm and saying no from all our cruises to Nassau and Jamaica, etc. but I still don't like it and want to avoid it. It seems to make me extra crazy when my kids are around.

I would take a ship's excursion when in Tunis. Many DIY had bad experiences on our 2008 visit. Many groups of DIY came back and advised us not to leave the port area, and they came back before noon!

PS. Don't let your kid's get up on that camel for a photo op, unless you want to get extorted! (and that's inside the security area)

The Celebrity staff told us that they were dropping Tunis from their itinerary but with the Egypt situation cruise lines need alternate ports.

I would take a ship's excursion when in Tunis. Many DIY had bad experiences on our 2008 visit. Many groups of DIY came back and advised us not to leave the port area, and they came back before noon!

PS. Don't let your kid's get up on that camel for a photo op, unless you want to get extorted! (and that's inside the security area)

The Celebrity staff told us that they were dropping Tunis from their itinerary but with the Egypt situation cruise lines need alternate ports.

Thanks for the tips. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.. this question is about the NCL tour. I would not do any other tour except ship tour at this port.

I went to Tunisia with costa and am glad I did, I would not do it again but am so glad I experience it. Saw Carthage Medina and yes we went to the rug store but I went up to the bathroom which was on the roof met a lovely lady working on a rug. The building were gorgeous. I say go and enjoy

Did a stop in Tunisia in 2010. We had a really bad experience with the taxi drivers who took us on a tour. We had agreed on a price before getting in the taxi but they kept suggesting that we give them more money throughout the tour. They delayed us getting back to the ship until just a few minutes before all aboard and then wouldn't take us directly to the port but instead parked behind a wall a few blocks from the ship, physically restrained one member of our party and demanded more money before they would let him go. I took off running to the ship with 3 kids in tow to let them know that we were there and tell them of the situation. After giving the drivers what money they had, the other members of our party were released and made it on to the ship just in time. What a nightmare!

We are usually DIY tourists but in Tunisia I would stick with a ships tour.

With that said, I would take advantage of some kind of tour. It is a very different port of call and a unique experience that you won't get in any of the other ports. It's like taking a short trip to the Middle East. You should be perfectly safe on a ships tour. Cathage was interesting. Sidi Bou Said was truly lovely. We didn't have problems with any aggressive vendors at either place.

Did a stop in Tunisia in 2010. We had a really bad experience with the taxi drivers who took us on a tour. We had agreed on a price before getting in the taxi but they kept suggesting that we give them more money throughout the tour. They delayed us getting back to the ship until just a few minutes before all aboard and then wouldn't take us directly to the port but instead parked behind a wall a few blocks from the ship' date=' physically restrained one member of our party and demanded more money before they would let him go. I took off running to the ship with 3 kids in tow to let them know that we were there and tell them of the situation. After giving the drivers what money they had, the other members of our party were released and made it on to the ship just in time. What a nightmare!

We are usually DIY tourists but in Tunisia I would stick with a ships tour.

With that said, I would take advantage of some kind of tour. It is a very different port of call and a unique experience that you won't get in any of the other ports. It's like taking a short trip to the Middle East. You should be perfectly safe on a ships tour. Cathage was interesting. Sidi Bou Said was truly lovely. We didn't have problems with any aggressive vendors at either place.[/quote']

OMG! I would have been ruined for life!! The fact that you STILL recommended that I take a ships tour after what happened to your party is all the proof I need that I should go and experience it!

• 3 weeks later...