Surfing lessons in Hawaii?

NJDeb

Has anyone had surfing lessons in Hawaii? My kids are anxious to try that. We will have a car on Maui and Kauai...so I would like to book them on my own. Has anyone used Activity World or something similar for any tours? Would love some feedback before I book the lessons...

• 2 weeks later...

As kids, both of my siblings took surf lessons right outside the Outrigger Waikiki... they were 6, and 8 years old the first time, and 11 and 13 the second time. They both loved it ... and at the end of the 30 minute lesson, were surfing fairly well. Unfortunately they don't have much chance to practice, so when we go back next year they might get another lesson so they can enjoy the surfing opportunity there.

Suebee...I booked the surfing lessons thru Activity World....do u know much about them? I had read one post that said they were satisfied with them....but as u said...safety comes first with the kids....thanks....

We did not do this as an excursion on a cruise, but last year we were in Maui and our 2 of our kids, ages 9 and 16, took surfing lessons through Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy, their office is in Lahaina. It was a little pricey, but it was worth the money. They did a land portion and then they took them out into the water. It worked out great because there was only one other person in their class (another 16 y/o boy). They also had a photographer in the water with them and after class he downloaded the pics to a disc and we bought the disc and and the pics printed when we got home. You can probably see if they have a website or contact them by phone ahead of time. Both kids actually learned quite well for their first time!

Suebee...I booked the surfing lessons thru Activity World....do u know much about them? I had read one post that said they were satisfied with them....but as u said...safety comes first with the kids....thanks....

Sorry, I have no personal experience. My kids are small. But I am always reading in the paper to be leery of the people roaming the beach offering lessons. I am sure others will chime in with their experiences.

Meredith....that's the company that Activity World uses in Lahaina for the surfing lessons.... We booked this on our own....I am glad to hear your kids enjoyed it....and I feel much better...thanks......

• 1 month later...

NJ Deb...

So how did the surfing go? I am looking into surfing lessons in Lahaina or Kaanapali and I would love to hear about your experience... distance from the dock in Lahaina, etc. I am trying to decide if I should book with Princess or book independently.

My kids loved the surfing...It was the Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy.....The girl that taught our group was outstanding......lots of patience......We were not docked on the POAM in Lahaina......but the academy is right in the heart of town...and a short walk to where you surf.....The whole experience was great!!!

Archived