Which Alaska itinerary do you recommend and why?

I'd love to cruise Alaska some day, but don't know anything about the itineraries. Do you have any recommendations and why?

Here's what is listed on the RCCL website:

-Hubbard Glacier

-Northbound Alaska

-Southbound Alaska

-Alaska Fjord

Thanks

Kim

For me Alalska would be great on any cruise!!!

The Alaska cruises will most likely include Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan in their ports of calls. Inside passage is simply put as a day at sea with awesome scenery and lots of opportunity for whale watching and other wildlife.

Northbound and southbound you'll need to get 2 one way air tickets since its not a round trip, just something to keep in mind in case you hadn't thought of that. ;) But it does give you a great opportunity to do a land package tour (or on own) either as pre or post cruise or both!

We did Hubbard Glacier it was the absoulte highlight of the cruise. Weather plays a big factor in getting into and viewing the glaciers, so no gaurantee's when it comes to Mother Nature and what she may have in store :D

Anything you decide will be great, Alaska is beautiful and one cruise I can't wait to do again!!

We just completed an 11 day northbound #8 (7 sea, 4 day) (June) We found that it was more relaxing doing the land after the cruise as when your sailing you can see so much and with the daylight you feel like you might miss something if you go to bed. During the land portion when you are back at your room you could go to sleep knowing when you wake you will be in the same place.

Also, about the airfare, we booked through Alaskan Airlines they were about $400 cheaper at the time than American and Northwest. Chicago to (Seattle) Vancouver and Fairbanks to (Seattle) Chicago. Book early (we paid $480 pp.)

Southbound is wonderful! We just finished ours in june. We did 5 days on land starting in Fairbanks and then 7 at sea on to Vancouver. I loved the idea of starting in Alaska and the views on the way to Canada watching the weather and the scenery change was just incredible.

It was also fun to see some of the land before gettong on the ship. The land portion you had a little more independent time and then on the ship, you unpack once for the week until you leave and that was just great! Thats just my 2 cents...

either way...HAPPY CRUISING! :-)

Whatever works for you, however you should know that most people who do a land tour do it first and therefore southbound cruises sell out first. Book early if you want to do land first.

Also, most people select land side cabins(oceanview/balcony), port(left) southbound and starboard(right) northbound. If that is what you want also book early.

Archived