Embarking from Cape Town - How Problematic ?

ausethanol

We boarded QM2 in Cape Town in 2012 and 2013 and everything went smoothly and was handled perfectly by Cunard.

We checked in at the Cape of Good Hope Centre on both occasions and were bussed to the ship without any problems.

We boarded QM2 in Cape Town in 2012 and 2013 and everything went smoothly and was handled perfectly by Cunard.

We checked in at the Cape of Good Hope Centre on both occasions and were bussed to the ship without any problems.

Thank you - Good information. How many people boarded in Cape Town on those occasions, what time did you start the process, and how long did it take getting from your arrival at the Good Hope Centre to your arrival at your cabin ?

I raised this issue of boarding in Cape Town a few weeks ago and we have been feeling apprehensive about the boarding - especially as some other experiences reported in this blog have not been as smooth as yours. I have no doubt that the trip (we are travelling from Cape Town home to Brisbane -24 nights - and our first time on QM2., after having a week to look around the Cape Towb area) will be wonderful but it would be a shame to have it spoilt by poor handling in Cape Town. After all "you do not get a second chance to make a first impression " !!

I would appreciate any other information or comments you feel able to make.

Pikkewyn - indeed, perhaps you did pick a quiet time. Just as well everyone didn't pick that time. As quite a few people, like us, were in hotels and had to check-out late morning/noon it made sense to head to the Good Hope Centre on leaving hotels.

Hi 2irisheyes, if I recall correctly in excess of 1000 passengers boarded on both occasions.

In 2012 en route to Sydney we checked in and didn't even sit down in the waiting area - we were directed straight away to a waiting bus and we were on board QM2 within probably an hour and a quarter of arriving at the Good Hope Centre, including the drive to the port.

It took a bit longer in 2013 when we boarded in Cape Town for Southampton. We waited approximately 30 minutes for a bus.

On both occasions Cunard handled the entire boarding process so well in my opinion (and I am not the patient type at all). Maybe we were just lucky.