Phone/Data while on ship

travelbaybee

I took a 2 min video of the iLounge on the Silhouette with my iPhone.

Here is the clip.

We used the free minutes (Elite coupons). The connection is ok, if you are just checking emails and other applications that are not data intensive. Facebook was a pain (too many images!)

I'm taking the Century (Panama Canal) in March 2014 and would love any info re: phone service / data service while on the ship. Would love to stay in touch with the rest of the world at a fairly affordable price... (does that exist?). Any info much appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance!!!!

:confused:

I snapped a photo of the rates on board. By memory , may. R wrong 70 cents per minute. 24.95 for a 30 min season.

I suggest to go off board when at port to the terminal and some will have FREE wi-fi spots. Some people have on their cell hotspot that you can tap on. And some will charge for it

In port you may have to get a drink to use free wifi.

So when people say it's expensive they are right but yet there are alternitives

I've tried the various VOIP services on trips to Europe and it is just my own personal opinion that Viber was easiest to set up and use. The voice quality was excellent...even better than my regular phone service. Texting was excellent too. But you must have access to excellent wifi service as well to use it.

I think I will contact AT&T for more info about their cruise packages which they have with celebrity. If I'm going to have to pay extra, I'd rather pay for something efficient. The wifi packages on the ship are a waste IMO even for email. I'd rather just wait for port and find free wifi.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm picking up a lot of ideas.