Beginning Scuba

beamqueen

Anyone does this excursion? My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon cruise and he the one thing he really wants to do is Scuba. I am TERRIFIED. Wondering if any beginners have done this excursion or anyone really and what it is like. I'm quite nervous but I know my fiance would be so excited...

I have had beginning scuba in the Cook Islands it wasn't a shore tour. We start in a swimming pool. We move to a lagoon were it was shallow enough to stand up if you wanted and then on another day we did a 30 meter dive. It was fun. The things that are different from snorkeling are that it louder ( we can hear yourself breath ) and your mouth get dry. I enjoyed scuba but I love to snorkel.

I did this excursion about 10 years ago and it was a lot of fun. It was at Coki Beach where they gave a lesson on the beach then got you suited up and you walked into the water. In the shallows they have you practice the hand signals and how to check the gauges and what to do it the mouthpiece comes out. Once the guide is satisfied everyone is comfortable you head out and down. That experience you have to have for yourself.

There is no reason to be terrified. The guide trails a float with the group and if anyone has difficulty, one person in my group did, they will get you safely to the surface. We never went deeper than 30-40 feet.

Give it a try. My only regret is I can't do it again because of BP meds. Once they hear that they say, "sorry, we can't let you go". But I'm glad I did it the one time.

I have done two beginning scuba excursions...one in Grand Cayman and one in Maui, Hawaii. They were both absolutely fantastic! There is simply nothing like being able to stay under the waves (unlike snorkeling). And since you are only a few feet under the water...there is no danger whatsoever. It's not like you are going to go down 100 feet or so. I hope you enjoy yourself and will look forward to hearing about what I am sure will be an adventure of your lifetime!