Carnival Liberty Review - Eastern Caribbean -January 4th, 2014

wings34

Thanks for the review. We will be on the Liberty in 12 days or so. We will be diving at Grand Turk thru the ship but have our own equipment. I will however keep my radar up for problems.

Please report back about your experience. I don't want to cancel DH And DDs excursion yet as I see that Oasis has pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor so I'm hoping the OPs experience was a one off.

Rose, is this you??? Hey we are going in next month again too! I hope it's the same one on the 22nd.

Yolanda and Bobby

Sorry not Rose :)

But I think we were on Henry's EEE tours together in St. Thomas. I'm Kathy and was with my sister Laura.

Im doing the eastern itinerary again on the 15th with my hubby and kids this time so I will try and leave the ship in tip top shape for you :D

Thank you so much for your review and photos!

I will be sailing the Liberty on 2/1 for the 3rd time and am very much looking forward to it and your review is getting me excited!!!

Great Review.

DH and I are booked for next year going to Curacao, Aruba, and Grand Turk.

First time in Grand Turk and will turn 50 in Aruba.:p

Interested in Diving. Having never done this before is this doable for us.?

Have this crazy notion to Knock Stuff Off My Bucket List. :p

Hi, normally you have to be a certified diver to do something like I did, but I do know that many places offer introductory scuba trips, though I don't know how much they actually do. Another option you may want to consider is SNUBA, its like scuba, but the tank is floating on the surface and has a long hose down to you. For this, you do not have to be certified, and it seems to be fairly common.

I was going to suggest the same thing ;) SNUBA is a great option. There is a "lesson"before you head off and it is is certainly easier and quicker than having to go through SCUBA training. I did this in Aruba at DePalm Island. The tanks are attached to a raft and you will have a long hose. If I recall correctly you can dive down about 25 feet with this hose and since you are in a coral reef area this is plenty deep to see the wonderful sites and have a SCUBA like experience.

Thank you for the great review and pics. How was the noise level around cabin #6203?

Hi, for the most part, our room was very quiet. Sometimes though, there would be a sort of slamming noise coming from below. I'm not sure if it was a crew area where they move a bunch of heavy stuff around, or if it is just the sound of the waves crashing against the hull. Also I think some people might be worried that there might be a lot of noise from the theater, but I heard nothing of the sort.

Hi, although the ship arrives into San Juan at 7 am, Puerto Rico is actually an hour ahead, so it is really 8am when the ship arrives. I think we got off the ship around 30 minutes after we docked, and were able to find a trolley at that time. By the time we got to the fort, it was already 9am and they were open.

Thanks for the information. :)

As I sit watching it snow outside, I am looking more and more forward to this cruise! Gonna get me a Piña Colada at Barrichinnos. Yummy. :D

Thanks for the Review.

A question. On your sea days did you find places to lay out and relax? I keep seeing the pool areas just packed and I doubt it is relaxing. So curious if you found places to relax since you had a oceanview room. If you did spend time topside that is.

I am planning a cruise to the Caribbean next year and wondering if I should get a balcony just to have a place to relax. I am fine with an inside or oceanview but a main part of this trip is to relax and not sit around a pool watching a hairy chest contest.

Thanks for the review. I sailed on Liberty with my sister in October and loved it so much that I am going on her again next month with DH and kids.

I am very disturbed about your diving experience as I have already booked the ship excursion for DH and DD. I think I will cancel (if they let me) and try to find another dive op.

I thought I had heard of a diving accident in GT with the Carnival sponsered tour a couple of years ago....

I think that scuba accident you're mentioning was with the same company, Oasis. We were debating between diving in Grand Turk or St. Thomas. We decided on St. Thomas. We were on the Liberty and the passenger that died was on another Carnival ship but I can't remember which one. I know it was through a Carnival excursion though.

Thanks for the Review.

A question. On your sea days did you find places to lay out and relax? I keep seeing the pool areas just packed and I doubt it is relaxing. So curious if you found places to relax since you had a oceanview room. If you did spend time topside that is.

I am planning a cruise to the Caribbean next year and wondering if I should get a balcony just to have a place to relax. I am fine with an inside or oceanview but a main part of this trip is to relax and not sit around a pool watching a hairy chest contest.

Hi, like you mentioned, it is true the main pool area is quite busy and rowdy. I never had much of a problem finding a place to relax elsewhere. The aft pool is much more tranquil. It seems that many people do not even know about it, and it's not the center of activities. Chairs were easier to find there, and that pool has the retractable roof as well, which was normally open in nice weather. Also, chairs were pretty easy to find on deck 10, and it was quiet up there as well; though it can get fairly windy in certain parts while at sea. Some other places that might be a good choice are the serenity area, along deck 3; or ALL the way forward on decks 6, 7, 9 or 10 (these ones are windy at sea and only have wooden benches, but are normally deserted). Hope this helps!