Alaska Sailings -- Menu with local grub??

JeffCoud

Hey there, just wondering. Am sailing on the Amsterdam 8/28 inside passage/glacier bay and wondered if HAL changes the menu a bit to put a bit more Alaska seafood on there -- king crab, salmon, halibut, etc.? Anyone know? Anyone have Alaska menu's to share online anywhere?

The 2 times I have been on Celebrity in Alaska they basically did...although more so the first time 5 years ago than last year I would say. They also had a late night buffet that was seafood oriented. Very excited about going on HAL in Alaska because they seem to do an excellent job.

Anyhow, any tips would be appreciated!!

Jeff

We were on the Amsterdam in May/June. There is a barbeque featuring salmon for lunch next to the pool (Lido) which was very good; and I don't even like salmon. Salmon was offered on the menu in the dining room but I never ordered it. Shrimp, crab legs and other seafood is on the Lido buffet and dining room menus.

Planked Halibut is one of the items in the Pinnacle and was excellent. If you haven't made reservations for the Pinnacle, I highly recommend that you do. The food and service are so good--we ate there twice. The first night is 1/2 price ($10.00) per person and $20.00 per person other nights. You can make reservations in advance by calling ship services.

I have a review here on the HAL board if you are interested in my opinion of the service, ship or excursions. The Amsterdam is just about perfect and Alaska is so beautiful--have a great cruise:)

We were on the Amsterdam in May/June. There is a barbeque featuring salmon for lunch next to the pool (Lido) which was very good; and I don't even like salmon. Salmon was offered on the menu in the dining room but I never ordered it. Shrimp, crab legs and other seafood is on the Lido buffet and dining room menus.

Planked Halibut is one of the items in the Pinnacle and was excellent.

Salmon is also offered on the regular Pinnacle menu.

However, the dishes noted above are standard for whatever HAL cruise we have been on, so I'm not really sure that the menu changes on an Alaskan cruise at all.

On the Amsterdam in June and salmon was on the menu every night. However, I have great suspicions that the salmon had ever seen Alaksa prior to our arriving in Glacier Bay ...

Agree on the Pinnacle - it was excellent. Even had the captain and some senior staff seated next to us!

I had the same suspicions about whether the salmon was wild or farmed, so I asked HAL. I suppose they could have lied to me, but they told me that the salmon they were serving on the Alaskan cruises was wild.

Who knows...:cool:

Reminds me of my days working in a restaurant during the high school/college years. We had two fish entrees on a rather limited menu, both of which were delivered frozen. The manager told us that if we were asked if the fish was fresh to say "yes".:rolleyes:

Interesting issues!

I'm not thinking so much salmon as I am Alaskan King Crab legs!!!! I must have! :)

Do you think if I caught salmon in Alaska they would cook it on board for me?? Last year in Skagway I literally caught one with my bare hands in that creek that runs through town. Of course, there were tons of them swimming around but they are slippery buggers!

Jeff

Archived