Norwegian Getaway 11/29/14

texaspring

• 2 weeks later...
We are looking forward also. We live in Spring, TX which is 20 minutes north of Houston.

We are in Buffalo. Like this past year when we went on a cruise this same week, it will be good to take a break from early winter through a cruise out of Miami.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hope everyone is just a little excited about the cruise.

Cant wait to dine at Cagneys!

Hope to get to the port bright and early to get one of the Vibe passes for the week. Heard the Vibe is nice with a good bar service available.

Although I have been to the ports too many times, might consider a excursion if I can fins something with a catamaran ...love being on the water...wind in my scalp...or is it on my scalp:D:D:D

Booked a hotel for the night before the cruise in Miami near the airport at a decent price considering its Thanksgiving weekend. Now to lose 10 pounds to compensate for the ten pounds I will gain on the cruise.:p

Anyone else joining this sailing?????

• 3 months later...
We are in Buffalo. Like this past year when we went on a cruise this same week, it will be good to take a break from early winter through a cruise out of Miami.

The cruise is just a couple of month's away! When are you flying into Miami? We are arriving on Thanksgiving afternoon.

This has been quite the quiet role call. We will be spending Thanksgiving at home (as well as taking our dog to his boarder) and then flying to Miami Friday morning.

Today marks two months! It has been a relatively warm September for us, but I imagine there will be some cold days ahead before the end of November, so it will be a great time to take a warm break as winter sets in.

Yes. It has been very quiet here. Maybe that we are less than 2 months away, there will be additional members joining this cruise.

Hopefully, we have seen the last of 90 degree temps in Spring. I don't expect cold weather here, until around the time of the cruise.

We are on Deck 11 in an H7 and looking forward to all the ship has to offer.

Was booked in a balcony cabin and just rebooked to a solo cabin. Since I spend so little time in my cabin, I will forgo the use of a balcony for this cruise. Having experienced a solo cabin on the Epic, I know what to expect.

Purchased the premium meal package....so looking for table mates.

Has anyone booked specific meal times in the specialty restaurants or waiting till the day of to reserve a table?

Look forward to meeting everyone.

By the way, the Getaway passed by real close early morning in Miami. I was on my balcony on the MSC Divina at 6am....the Getaway was all lit up and looked great. made me even more excited.

Just hope my dog will forgive me for boarding her again so soon after the Divina.......I do guilt really well.

Now to lose a few pounds before the Getaway:cool:

Purchased the premium meal package....so looking for table mates. Has anyone booked specific meal times in the specialty restaurants or waiting till the day of to reserve a table?

We decided not to purchase the dining package. This will be our first NCL cruise on an Epic/Breakaway-class ship that has a haven restaurant for dinner. So, rather than plan to have dinner at specialty restaurants, we plan to dine in the haven restaurant and then once on board make a decision day-to-day about whether we want to eat elsewhere. We do want to do the chef's table, if it is available. We had planned to do it on our Dawn cruise in 2013, but they cancelled it due to lack of interest.

• 1 month later...

Trying to decide on how early to get to the ship. My hotel is about 6 miles from the pier so a quick drive over. But I want to board in the first group so I can get a vibe pass......but how early is the question. One person on the NCL board said they arrived at 9 am an was in the first group to board. I guess I will shoot for 9 to 9:30.....as I can wait as easily at the port s I can at the hotel.

So now to select clothes...I usually over pack. But since there are no dress clothes required I guess I can pack light for once......but can I manage with only one suitcase???????

Never could figure out how people take only a back pack for a week......:eek:

See you on boarding day...will advise as to the shirt I will be wearing....designing a t-shirt today.:cool:

Tom aka Bertha

Sail away location......that's a good question.

H20 might be good but will probably a crowded area and getting near the railing a challenge. The Sun walk around the pool perhaps best for hanging on the railing. I might shoot for the Vibe as it has a bar and is on the starboard side (pier side) to see the push away. Just opposite the Vibe is a big sun area which could be a good spot , large, seating and a bar. Although a bar is not that important, a sailaway beverage would be nice.

I am doing the Illusionarium the first night...have you booked it during the week?

Other plans:

Sunday...Cagneys at 7:30

Monday... Wine lovers musical,

Tuesday....Moderno at 8:30

Wed....Legally blonde at 10:15

Thursday.....Cagneys at 7:30

Friday....Teppanyaki at 7:45

So I need to figure out dinner for Monday and Wed...perhaps Le Bistro.

Any overlap with your schedule?

Sail away location...I might shoot for the Vibe as it has a bar and is on the starboard side (pier side) to see the push away.

We have watched the sail away the past two weeks and the Getaway has been docked in Miami facing toward the city; therefore, if in this same orientation for our cruise, Vibe would not be pier side during the initial push away. But, with the trip to the turning basin and then back out the channel, any location is likely a good location.

We each will have a suitcase and backpack. We are trying not to over pack...

We tend to pack a lot, which is one reason we like Southwest given their no-fee policy for baggage. We will likely each have a suitcase, a large duffle bag, and a backpack.

We are still deciding on dressier clothing for a couple of dinners, which would require a bit more space. For each of our previous cruises we have brought suits (or tuxes), but we have not yet decided for this cruise. Decision time will need to be soon - less than three weeks remaining! 😄

Thanks for the input on the Getaways positioning. I usually look at the port webcam and never noticed her being docked facing inward towards the turning basin. I have never figured out what determines how they tie up...maybe its which side of the hull is the cleanest;)

Cloting...I always over pack. I came home from the Divina having used only half the clothes I packed. I normally bring a suit even on casual cruises just in case so I may bring a sport coat and tie just in case. Dress shirts and trousers will be my evening wear.....very curious to see how casual the others passengers dress although they would not influence my choices. I am old school and dress for dinner, but have learned to enjoy the casual change.

Since I am driving down, baggage is not a problem...probably on big suitcase and one small bag.

As to the ship......I do not like big ships which have now become the norm, but this ship appears to have an abundance of things to do so I am excited....even the water slides look like fun (lubricated with a long island ice tea):D:D:D

Looking forward to meeting you both wishing you a safe flight and no snow delays.

Tom aka Bertha

• 2 weeks later...

Today the ship was docked in Miami facing the ocean. And, like several other weeks that I watched the sail away on the port web cam, including those weeks when it was docked in the opposite direction, the Getaway was the first to leave port.

Regarding clothing, after a tiring week this past week, I changed my mind about bringing suits. So, for the moment, our initial packing does not include a suit for either of us. This certainly helps to reduce what we will need to carry with us and will contribute to a relaxing week away.

Fingers crossed next week is nothing like this past week with regard to the weather. We are looking forward to boarding our flight for an on time departure. :-)

Hope the weather behaves for you.

On Friday I drive over to the dog boarding place.....and have my heart ripped out. Separation from Gracie is painful for me.

Clothes.....I too am eliminating suits, even the sports jacket I had planned to take. Casual trousers and nice shirts will be my attire. I love Cubavera shirts.....square bottom shirts like bowling shirts....easy comfy and don't wrinkle much. Hope to take one suitcase and carry on unless everything fits into the suitcase.

Intend to wear my celebratory t-shirt......NCL on the front, Southward on the back with a picture of her.......sun glasses and a bald head.....easy to spot:D

I have spent the week watching you tube videos of the Getaway.......there is so much to do, so much to see.......perhaps too much?

My final cabin assignment is now 12156 on the port side.

Maybe if things work out we can have lunch together after boarding.:p

Tom aka Bertha