Oasis and weather in January/February

Artemis908

The weather has been crazy and cold the past couple of months. We are planning a cruise next year that will go to Labadee, Cozumel, and Jamaica. Leaving from Ft. Lauderdale.

How was the weather? How was the wind while at sea? How was the weather at the ports?

I have sailed many times in January with some of the best weather I have ever experienced on a cruise not to hot not to cold however I have also sailed when the weather is terrible and you only get one nice sea day and the rest is rainy and cold.

Really depends on the weather patterns at the time. We always cruise 2nd week of January or last week. Prices are good and its always better than up here in Canada at that time so we enjoy it.

Did you say you were on Looking at Oasis?

We sailed the last week of January/ first week of February on the Oasis.

We looked at the photos that other cruisers had posted while using the flow rider. We noticed the wet suits, hat and scarf on the Flow rider employee. So...we all brought our wet suits.

Remember that the sun sets earlier so you have a slightly more dark hours without the sun.

Up on the pool deck it is cold at night because of the winds. obviously if you are wet it will be even colder.We had the flow rider to ourselves after dark because of the wet suits.

At Atlantis we wore our suits and had a blast. Couldn't have done it without the suits though because of the water temps, and the wind.

FYI on the Oasis you can rent wet suits to use on the ship. (I'm not sure if you can take them off the ship.) People figured this out as the cruise progressed but it still wasn't crowded after dark on the pool deck.

We were on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. During the day it was plenty hot. On the beaches I used my wet suit jacket and my son wore his wet suit to snorkel because the water temps were just slightly cooler than what we prefer. There were plenty of people that were in the water though.

I would think that the gulf waters would be warmer however I would plan on any activity on the upper deck to be chilly while at cruising speed.

We loved it, and it helped to have the wet suits.

Edited by Xewrsw
Added sentence

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting an old post ;)

I'm looking at booking Oasis in January but have a "motion sensitive" hubs to think about. Can those of you who've sailed in January let me know if you ever encountered excessive motion?

I realize that weather is up to Mother Nature and obviously things can be different on any sailing...but I need some input :) We've sailed Oasis and Allure and know how steady the Oasis class ships can be...just never sailed in January before.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! :)