What compact camera?

Wol

I have an Olympus and a Canon DSLR, also a cheapo Fuji compact. Having got fed up with carting the DSLR around the world (plus an unfortunate incident involving cabin bag, Canon, bottle of chardonnay and a drop onto concrete - don't ask) I would like to buy a decent compact DSLR.

The Fuji provides great pictures, but the screen is so dim that even in dull outdoor light it's impossible to frame a shot. "Point and shoot" is more than just a phrase!

Has anyone any first hand recommendations for a compact that has a really bright screen?

I take a DSLR, mirrorless, and compact camera on my cruises.

My compact camera of choice is the Nikon P330. It has just been replaced by the P340 - with only cosmetic differences, so the P330 is a good camera at a bargain.

Currently you should be able to find them for $199 while they last. That is about half of the original selling price only a year ago. I paid $300 for mine.

The reason I like it is it has a larger 1/1.7" sensor (40% larger than most compacts), it has a fast f/1.8 lens - although it goes up to f/5.6 when zoomed in, and has some features (like rear curtain sync) that are normally only found on DSLRs. Add to that panoramic, time lapse/interval, GPS, background HDR (2 photo HDR), selective color, and a few other features - this camera is feature laden for the price. And it also has a true video PAUSE function - something 99% of cameras do not have.

And to complement the larger sensor and fast lens, you can do photo stacking for improved low light performance.

It is great in low-light situations, and I have been able to use ISO 3200 without a lot of noise. Arguably, this thing has as good of a low-light performance than even some DSLRs a few years old.

Here are a few sample low-light images:

http://www.althephoto.com/cameras/p330.php

And while it is not really a ruggedized camera, it does have a magnesium frame, which helps in it's solid feel. And since it is pocket sized, I end up taking it just about everywhere I go on a cruise. The Canon G16 or Nikon P7800 cameras are also pretty good, but they are not really true pocket size cameras like the P330 is. The P330 is more like the Canon S120, but $175 less expensive.

For around $200 you just cannot go wrong with this camera.

Edited by awboater

I have a new Panasonic GM1 - very compact, interchangeable lenses, amazing photos even in low light situations. It fits in my pocket. Try google search for DPReview if you want to read a recent review of this camera. It's a great travel camera. On my last trip to Europe I used a lesser compact with a zoom and was disappointed in the photo quality. The GM1 is far superior.

Some cameras will allow an adjustment to the screen brightness to compensate for viewing in bright light conditions. B & H Photo has good info on camera specs and may be an aid if you are researching models.