NOLA - couple of ??

Monker2001

We are renting a large van for seven of us, driving from N. Texas and will have to drop it off the evening we arrive. I'm wondering

1) Best hotels near the port for families that are within walking distance and if not within walking distance which would be the most economical?

2) Will there be a shuttle from the airport or will we have to pay for a taxi?

I'm certain I have other questions, but at the moment I'm too excited about the simple fact that we are finally planning this trip!:p

There is a ton of information about New Orleans hotel in these threads that touch on many topics so looking at some of those theads would be very helpful.

To be the closest to the port, that would be hotels on Convention Center Blvd and the Warehouse District. Hotels on Canal St. are also close enough but not really walking distance

"Most economical" in the port or French Quarter area will average between $200 and $350 a night but does depend on the exact dates you are staying.

Most economical hotels will not be found in the FQ or port area but can be found in suburbs of New Orleans like Metairie. Stay away from New Orleans East. If a rate seems to good to be true, ask here about the area the hotel is located in. The rate of New Orleans area hotels almost always depends on the location of the hotel.

There are no shuttles from the airport. You may be able to book one with your cruise line or take a taxi. Also, I think there are shuttle services but they are not free.

World Gallery you seem to know a lot about New Orleans. I need to know where your first choice of Hotel would be if only staying before going on a cruise but you want to experience all that you can in your short stay. And do they have super shuttle service from the airport? I'll be there next January.

The best located hotels would be those on the end of Canal Street (end meaning where it ends because of the Mississippi River), like the Westin (because you are on the Canal St. street car line so if you decided to go to the Garden District, you could) or in the FQ but on the side closest to Canal St, like Bienville House hotel, W Hotel French Quarter, Hyatt French Quarter and they are a few others. If you look at Google Maps, some of the best located hotels would be from St. Ann Street (which borders Jackson Square) to Canal St, but not going past Dauphine St. The 4th border to this "rectangle" Decatur close to the river. So anything in "the rectangle" with the 4 sides being Dauphine, Canal, St. Ann and Decatur would be my first choice.

This location is close to WWII Museum, Aquarium, French Market, Jackson Square, The Presbytere, St. Louis Cathedral, French Market, restaurants, shopping, and the meeting locations for tours that would be outside of the city, like swamp or plantation tours.

You will still need to take a taxi to the port but it isn't that far.

As for shuttles from the airport, I see this often:

http://www.airportshuttleneworleans.com/

Edited by World Gallery

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the info! Since posting our plans had a bit of a change...we decided to fly in to NOLA and stay at Embassy Suites pre-cruise. I still haven't chosen a hotel for post-cruise, but I am leaning toward Embassy Suites again.

I was a little shocked for our options for transport to and from airport to downtown, but nothing that isn't being worked out.

Thank you again.