Select dining

Ucm2000

When Select was first offered, we thought we'd never like it. When we found out that our very favorite tables were part of the "Select only" section of the MDR, we quickly decided to try it. We now book our Select reservations online months before the cruise & make any needed adjustments once on board. If we find that an excursion or other event is going to make us more than a few minutes late on a particular evening, we call the Select Hostess to adjust our schedule. We are now very happy with Select and would probably never go back unless our favorite tables reverted to the Traditional section.:)

Could you elaborate a little on calling the "Select Hostess"? Is there a dedicated extension you can just call from your cabin? That would be great! Is that available all day long, or is there a cut-off time for changing same day reservations? I assume they don't have a problem accepting a reservation for multiple cabins at the same table?

The reflection has more issues than the other ships... It is very rare that you will ever have a 20 minute wait on any other ship. Typically it's 5-15 mins. If you have a reservation it cuts that time down a bit. Also remember that some prefer to eat with the same 6-8 people every night so they prefer fixed seating. Select gives you the opportunity to dine alone or join others for dinner...a nice way to meet interesting people and you don't have to rush back for dinner if you are in port.

That's great news for us. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When Select was first offered, we thought we'd never like it. When we found out that our very favorite tables were part of the "Select only" section of the MDR, we quickly decided to try it. We now book our Select reservations online months before the cruise & make any needed adjustments once on board. If we find that an excursion or other event is going to make us more than a few minutes late on a particular evening, we call the Select Hostess to adjust our schedule. We are now very happy with Select and would probably never go back unless our favorite tables reverted to the Traditional section.:)

Could you elaborate a little on calling the "Select Hostess"? Is there a dedicated extension you can just call from your cabin? That would be great! Is that available all day long, or is there a cut-off time for changing same day reservations? I assume they don't have a problem accepting a reservation for multiple cabins at the same table?

Let me elaborate by first saying that we called her exactly twice during a 30 day cruise. After meeting the Select Hostess the first day and discussing our preferred table type for dining every evening when they opened at 5:30 (will be 6:00 on upcoming cruise), we asked for her extension number in case we were going to be running late on 2 known dates with possible conflicts. As it turned out, we called once to say we'd be 15 minutes late & she held our table. I called one other time to advise that my DW was ill and she should give our table to others that night. I doubt if the number is readily available without the hostess giving it out, otherwise she would probably be tied up with too many calls which is not her function. Our situation may be a bit different than many in that we always make reservations for MDR opening time. On our most recent cruise (15 days) we didn't ask the hostess for her phone number because we knew of no probable conflicts. On the other hand, I did ask one evening in advance that she delay our reservation by 20-30 minutes for the next night. Because of this, I fully expected to lose our table for the next evening but she held it. I believe the answer to your question is no, I doubt there is a dedicated number you can "call anytime" to reach the hostess for changes. Perhaps some with more experience booking reservations after boarding can advise further.

Edited by LynnObie

Let me elaborate by first saying that we called her exactly twice during a 30 day cruise. After meeting the Select Hostess the first day and discussing our preferred table type for dining every evening when they opened at 5:30 (will be 6:00 on upcoming cruise), we asked for her extension number in case we were going to be running late on 2 known dates with possible conflicts. As it turned out, we called once to say we'd be 15 minutes late & she held our table. I called one other time to advise that my DW was ill and she should give our table to others that night. I doubt if the number is readily available without the hostess giving it out, otherwise she would probably be tied up with too many calls which is not her function. Our situation may be a bit different than many in that we always make reservations for MDR opening time. On our most recent cruise (15 days) we didn't ask the hostess for her phone number because we knew of no probable conflicts. On the other hand, I did ask one evening in advance that she delay our reservation by 20-30 minutes for the next night. Because of this, I fully expected to lose our table for the next evening but she held it. I believe the answer to your question is no, I doubt there is a dedicated number you can "call anytime" to reach the hostess for changes. Perhaps some with more experience booking reservations after boarding can advise further.

Thank you!

We'll probably just play it by ear for the first few days. We're on Millennium next month, and other posts suggest wait times probably won't be a problem if we don't have reservations.

On our recent Summit cruise. Select dining and arrived nightly around 7h30 or so. Always requested a table for 2 and didn't wait more than 3 or 4 minutes. On night 3 we got a great table along the railing looking down on the traditional diners. Starting on night 4 we specifically asked for a table along the railing. Waited longer by choice, longest wait was 20 minutes but we were comfortably sipping wine in the bar so it was not a problem for us.

On our sailing of the Summit, all of the second floor tables were Select dining.

Thank you!

We'll probably just play it by ear for the first few days. We're on Millennium next month, and other posts suggest wait times probably won't be a problem if we don't have reservations.

You're welcome! I think you have the right plan.:)

....snip... Starting on night 4 we specifically asked for a table along the railing. Waited longer by choice, longest wait was 20 minutes but we were comfortably sipping wine in the bar so it was not a problem for us.

On our sailing of the Summit, all of the second floor tables were Select dining.

That's also our favorite type of table & would also be willing to wait. Not surprised to hear they made the entire 2nd floor Select as it seems to be getting more popular. The only way we'd switch back to Traditional is if they moved Select to the lower level.:)

Had select dining on the Summit Feb. 2013 and have booked it again for next Feb. would not consider anything else. I made reservations about 1 month before wanted 7:30 but could not get all nights at that time, sometimes 15 min. earlier or 15 min. later. Next cruise I will make the reservation earlier. When we showed up we were always seated right away.